Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Way to mark when a postcard has -really- been sent?
lvdn
formerly known as icensnow

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: lvdn

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 10:02 PM

I always upload an image of each postcard before sending them. Therefore I already know that the ones with images attached have been sent. I don't need another step to mark them as sent.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 19-1-2014 at 02:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by icensnow  
I always upload an image of each postcard before sending them. Therefore I already know that the ones with images attached have been sent. I don't need another step to mark them as sent.

That is what I do as well :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
emfas

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden
Postcrossing Username: Emfas

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 01:36 AM

What are your plans with this suggestion?
It would be so great to be able to do this to keep track on the ones I sent and don't. I know more then one person that would love this. Especially the ones that send a lot of cards almost daily

For the ones that says this would be annoying if it wasn't optional. What about get the adress and mark it as sent at the same time?

So please considerate this again!
Athelas

Country Flag:
Slovakia

Slovakia
Postcrossing Username: athelas

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 11:19 AM

I think it is a great idea and not a complicated matter.

Simply the date of sending the card would be the one that you pulled the number, but it should let you the possibility of changing it to the actual date it was stamped / dropped at the office.

Technically it could be added to the picture uploading page, which currently allows you to change the picture until it is registered as received.

This solution has some benefits:
- if someone takes time to scan and upload pictures, it is not much of a burden to edit a simple date if need be
- it would lead to a more precise travel time statistics for Postcrossing
- users who are not interested in this feature would not even notice it is there
- if you re-send card for the one that was "lost", you can update the date (I just resent a card and was happy to be able to update the picture).

For siobhan and nordbaer - selecting address only when you are ready to mail it is not really an option if you take time making the postcards, or even looking for the right card / stamp to make the receiver happy. For instance my time to draw an address is Friday afternoon, but I mail the actual cards during the following week.
Ieahleen

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Ieahleen

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 07:58 PM

I'm new in postcrossing but I found that without adding any other feature, it's enough to know if you have sent the postcard or not just the uploading of the image: sometimes I go to see my travelling, I see an image missing and I know that I have yet to send that one! ('s not my fault! I had some postcards! I just can't find them anymore! I know they are there somewhere, and I will find them and then send this missing postcard!)
Sharks_and_bones

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: Sharks_and_bones

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 09:05 PM

I am new to postcrossing and I would also like an option to select once you've mailed a card.

I like to see what a person would like to hear about which is often in the biography. If I were to write a card on a Saturday afternoon it would sit in the postbox until Monday morning as Saturday collection is before 12pm and I am unable to get to a postbox before then. So the website would be counting both Saturday and Sunday as travelling days when the card is actually sitting in a postbox. Today I posted one at the postoffice as I had run out of stamps- it will sit there until Monday as well as I would have had to be there before 11am.
DaniMachado

Country Flag:
Brazil

Brazil
Postcrossing Username: DaniMachado

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 12:42 PM

I'm here to support this idea! :)
abbyaguas

Country Flag:
Philippines

Philippines
Postcrossing Username: abbyaguas

Mood: Why does the mail I send gets returned to me?

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 03:53 PM

:thumbup:
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 09:15 AM

I definitely understand the attractiveness of this feature, and we've been asked for it over the years, but always hesitated in implementing it, because it gives the impression that it is somehow okay to delay the sending of a postcard.

A newbie (or more unscrupulous member) might read it as "Oh! It's not a problem if I send this card in a month instead of right now, because I can mark it as sent then!"

Which brings a ton of issues to the table. What happens when you get a postcard a month later than you expected to receive one? Will you be reassured by the fact that it only "traveled" a week (despite your wait of 1 week+1month)? Will members even be active by the time the card gets there?

Very tricky. :(

flamey

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: flamey

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 08:51 PM

How about a short "comments" field visible only to the sender, then?

People who don't sent immediately can put the real date of sending, if they want to. Others, can include simple notes, like if they sent in envelope with extra stamps/coin/whatever, or if there's something special about the card, or something sender wrote, etc. Often I receive nice Hurray message, thanking about the stamps I used, and I always wonder which ones I used that time :) or about something I wrote
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 9-6-2017 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by flamey  
How about a short "comments" field visible only to the sender, then?

People who don't sent immediately can put the real date of sending, if they want to. Others, can include simple notes, like if they sent in envelope with extra stamps/coin/whatever, or if there's something special about the card, or something sender wrote, etc. Often I receive nice Hurray message, thanking about the stamps I used, and I always wonder which ones I used that time :) or about something I wrote

that is a valid, and more feasible suggestion! we'll add it to the list to be considered :)
Sakaane

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sakaane

[*] posted on 13-4-2018 at 12:51 AM

I would very much like to have the option of specifying the actual mailing date of sent cards too. Bad winter weather preventing me from getting to a post office is usually my reason for a few days' delay in sending mine. Additionally, in Canada mail is not processed on weekends, so any addresses requested on a weekend will not actually begin travelling until the next business day after being mailed.

Quote: Originally posted by ana  
I definitely understand the attractiveness of this feature, and we've been asked for it over the years, but always hesitated in implementing it, because it gives the impression that it is somehow okay to delay the sending of a postcard.

A newbie (or more unscrupulous member) might read it as "Oh! It's not a problem if I send this card in a month instead of right now, because I can mark it as sent then!"

Which brings a ton of issues to the table. What happens when you get a postcard a month later than you expected to receive one? Will you be reassured by the fact that it only "traveled" a week (despite your wait of 1 week+1month)? Will members even be active by the time the card gets there?

Not tricky at all. With the current site design you could have big red blinking letters that say the card is supposed to be mailed on the same day the address is requested and some people will still let their card sit for days or weeks before mailing it regardless of whether they are new, unscrupulous, or have a legit delay.

Simple solution: only have a grace period of, say, a week after the date the address has been requested for the sender to enter a different mailing date. After seven days the option would become disabled. This would give users with legit reasons for not being able to mail the card right away a reasonable chance to show the right date while keeping people motivated to choose postcards and get to the post office within a reasonable time. If the sender waits longer than a week, the end result for travelling time would be no different than if the option was never there in the first place.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ana  

I would go even further to solve this problem and set cards to a "due to send" state initially on requesting the address, and make it mandatory to press some button to mark the card as actually sent (which changes it to "travelling" status).

This would allow the "due to send" cards to be prominently displayed on the user's home ("hey, you need to send these cards now").

Also, if the card hasn't been marked as sent within X days, the system could start sending reminder mails ("Have you sent your card XY-123 to Membername yet?", "ACTION REQUIRED your card is overdue to send" etc.), that should even reduce the chance that a newbie doesn't send the card?

As I read through the comments here, this extra click to confirm the card is sent may sound annoying for members who send a lot of cards, but this could easily be solved by allowing long standing members with a certain number of postcards sent a setting to skip the "due to send" state, ie. set the card directly to travelling as it is done now.

That would solve it for everyone I think?
- newbies can be reminded more to send their cards
- established members can choose whether they want to update the "really sent" date or have it set automatically when requesting the address without any further step

Thoughts?
isinesunshine

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: isinesunshine

Mood: :iink:

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by icicle  
I upload the scan only after I write and stamp the card, thus i know that all uploaded cards are mailed :)

same here :)
leiste

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: leiste

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 12:34 AM

If this feature is optional, that's fine, but I would not want another requirement.

Several people have mentioned their own systems. Mine is that I leave the email in mn inbox until I finish the card. Then I delete it.

anemone1

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2019 at 10:46 AM

I try to send the cards as soon I have taken the address. During the 12 years of Postcrossing I have collected so much cards that I always find something for everybody... I don´t scan at all, send and register, that´s it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint