Author: Subject: [UK] Royal Mail related questions, comments, and useful links
michiel071

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Michiel

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kentish belle  
I usually buy my stamps from Philatelink, but they seem to have sold out at the moment! I wonder if it's Postcrossers buying them all!

Are there any similar places I can try? Otherwise I'll just have to use my local Post Office which will mean paying full price for very boring stamps - they never seem to have special ones.

There is also the online shop of Royal Mail: http://shop.royalmail.com/page/home

You can buy special stamps there, but there is no discount like on Philatelink.
kentish belle

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: kentish_belle

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by michiel071  
Quote: Originally posted by kentish belle  
I usually buy my stamps from Philatelink, but they seem to have sold out at the moment! I wonder if it's Postcrossers buying them all!

Are there any similar places I can try? Otherwise I'll just have to use my local Post Office which will mean paying full price for very boring stamps - they never seem to have special ones.

There is also the online shop of Royal Mail: http://shop.royalmail.com/page/home

You can buy special stamps there, but there is no discount like on Philatelink.

Many thanks - although they're not discounted, at least you know exactly what you're getting. My local Post Office is very disappointing so online is my only chance of getting interesting stamps.
ichabodhides

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: ichabodhides

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 03:34 PM

Has anyone here been asked to fill in a customs declaration label when sending a parcel to a EU country? I'm very confused at the moment - I've just sent a parcel to Finland and got asked to fill one in. I asked if this was a new thing as I've never been asked to fill one in when sending something to a EU country, I was told it was showing up on their machine that one was required, I was told it would be the same as with sending something to Iceland or Norway "as they also have their own currency", I tried to explain that Finland uses the euro and is in the EU but the bloke just ignored that and still seemed to think that Finland have their own currency and said that "that's what the machine says". Ok, I get it that he has to follow the regulations but it seems weird that no other post office I've been to so far has had that requirement (I also sent a parcel to Finland a couple of weeks ago and never got asked to fill in a customs declaration..). ...and the guy's attitude was not nice at all either, it felt like he thought I was lying and when I said I had sent parcels to Finland before (last December), he asked me where from and when I said "Wolverhampton", he said "there you go then". ...so Wolverhampton post offices have different rules to ones in Dudley?? :puzzled:
michiel071

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Michiel

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 01:50 PM

Years ago I sent a parcel from the UK to my own address in the Netherlands and I was asked to fill in the custom's declaration too. I was a bit surprised too (the Single Market did exist at that time), but it could a postal safety issue.

This was at a London Post Office.
vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: vjr123

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:17 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed post boxes being boarded up / removed in their local area? In my area of London they have recently boarded up a lot of post boxes - some on small residential streets but also on main roads. I'm sure they are not used very much - I myself tend to post at post offices, unless it is a box in central London and it has one of those little discs in it showing the next collection day, as I'm worried post might not be collected regularly from a local post box. So I guess it makes sense to remove at least some, but this seems to be all post boxes in a specific area. It does seem a shame - is this the beginning of the end for our local post boxes? It would be nice if they weren't removed completely - but I'm not sure there is any alternative use for them.
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:33 PM

In Switzerland, there are 3 post boxes in my road and there are 15 post boxes in the rest of the town (30'000 inhabitants). :lol:
vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: vjr123

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 01:41 PM

Wow that's impressive thucabe! 3 in one road - is your road very long :D

I actually noticed today that there was a notice on the postboxes so I stopped to read it - apparently the boxes have been closed due to a security issue and will be replaced with another post box in the near future - presumably a more secure design. So there's obviously been some sort of security incident in my local area - intriguing! Anyway, I'm glad the post boxes aren't being phased out just yet. :)
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: klaus3428

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 03:39 PM

@ichabodhides

Maybe the counter clerk thinks that brexit has already happened?
Both in sending and receiving within the EU there is no requirement for customs declarations. As was said "single market" and it's got nothing do with different currencies. Some people....
rachaeld

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: rachaeld

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 07:47 AM

Hi everyone, can anybody help - I'm getting less than helpful responses from the folk over at Royal Mail - I want to send a postcard of irregular shape (i.e. not rectangular) to the USA and I'm looking for some pricing guidance. Is there any additional fee for sending different shaped postcards, or do I just take the longest width and longest height and pay for it as though it were rectangular? Will it make it through the sorting machines ok... I really don't want to put it in an envelope if I can help it.
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 11:00 AM

Hello rachaeld ,

from link:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/121/~/si...

Format Max weight Max length Max width Max depth
Letter 100g 24cm 16.5cm 0.5cm

The price finder just gives £1.25 for International Standard and £1.10 Economy (up to 20g). No additional fee for odd shapes.

You are taking a risk of course with odd shapes, no guarantee there won't be tears or dog ears. I only sent one card with an odd shape sticking out and it arrived in good order.

rachaeld

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: rachaeld

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 11:44 AM

Wonderful. Thanks so much klaus3428. I couldn't find anywhere that said there was no extra fees so I was a bit concerned. Thanks for the reassurance :)
Elke

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: ElkeJager

[*] posted on 29-10-2018 at 06:32 PM

Hi all! I have a very stupid question :P
I moved to the UK from the Netherlands and I have no idea what stamps to use for postcrossing. In the Netherlands it was just simple, international or not international.
I don't want to price it wrong so I would appreciate any help I can get :)
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 30-10-2018 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Elke  
I moved to the UK from the Netherlands and I have no idea what stamps to use for postcrossing. In the Netherlands it was just simple, international or not international.

Here is a useful leaftlet to get you started on postage rates current from Royal Mail: https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Our-prices-2018-effect...

For postcards specifically to:
Europe: £1.25
Outside Europe: Economy £1.10 (equivalent to "surface mail")
Outside Europe: Standard £1.25 (equivalent to "air mail")
UK: First Class £0.67 - Second Class £0.58

Hint: First Class + Second Class Stamp = £1.25!
Elke

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: ElkeJager

[*] posted on 31-10-2018 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by klaus3428  

Here is a useful leaftlet to get you started on postage rates current from Royal Mail: https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Our-prices-2018-effect...

For postcards specifically to:
Europe: £1.25
Outside Europe: Economy £1.10 (equivalent to "surface mail")
Outside Europe: Standard £1.25 (equivalent to "air mail")
UK: First Class £0.67 - Second Class £0.58

Hint: First Class + Second Class Stamp = £1.25!

Thank you!
I wasn't sure if I could use regular stamps as well.
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 31-10-2018 at 11:00 PM

Thank you!
I wasn't sure if I could use regular stamps as well.

You can use any stamp to make up the postage required, including those marked only first or second class
cyberpunk

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: cyberpunk

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 08:59 PM

Does anyone know how to get special postmarks or maxi cards in UK?? I've been searching but I can't find any answers.

I am talking about postmarks like these: https://www.royalmail.com/personal/stamps-collectibles-gifts/postmar...

I am not sure how they work. Say, if I put a 1st class stamp on the picture side of a card, send it to one of the handstamp centres to get handstamped then get the card back, now I want to put more stamps on the address side and make it to £1.25 to mail it out to other people, does the 67p count towards the total postage? Or can I just request them to process the cards for me, directly?

klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:56 PM

In my 40 years in the UK I have never come across Royal Mail maxi card cancellations. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The instructions in the postmark bulletins only talk about covers, but I suppose you could also send a card but I guess they only cancel on the address side. Years ago I used to obtain special postmarks for a pen friend abroad but I had them mailed to my home address in the UK.
Why not call the enquiry line on 0345 071 2000.

NB. I did find something on GB Maxicards, an auction lot from 1967 .... 51 years ago.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-...
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 09:59 AM

Royal Mail's Christmas stamps this year show a collection of red mail boxes.

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/christmas-2018?iid=S...
idus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: idus

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 09:37 PM

Nice. :)
cyberpunk

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 05:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by klaus3428  
In my 40 years in the UK I have never come across Royal Mail maxi card cancellations. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The instructions in the postmark bulletins only talk about covers, but I suppose you could also send a card but I guess they only cancel on the address side. Years ago I used to obtain special postmarks for a pen friend abroad but I had them mailed to my home address in the UK.
Why not call the enquiry line on 0345 071 2000.

NB. I did find something on GB Maxicards, an auction lot from 1967 .... 51 years ago.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10061/lot-16018d09-a4c5-4dd5-b5b3-a56f00cf307e

So, I sent one batch of my cards to the London SHC and one to Northern SHC. Those sent to Northern SHC were fine. The cards without addresses were returned to me in the envelope I provided, and those with proper postage and addresses were not in the envelope, so I guess they were forwarded to the recipient.

I don't have much luck with London SHC though. The 3 cards with proper postage and addresses were returned to me. 2 were not stamped because of "insufficient postage" (How? I put £1.25 on the cards!!), and 1 was just stamped on the picture side!!! Grrr!! Did they not look at the back of the card!?! I contacted Royal Mail and I'm still waiting for a response. :flaming::flaming::flaming:

At least I have these cards in my collection now:

klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 27-11-2018 at 09:43 AM

In December I am popping up to the Postal Museum in London (https://www.postalmuseum.org/) and post a few PC cards there for the museum handstamp. Hope that will work ok - will include a test card to myself to check quality.
cyberpunk

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 08:33 AM

I just talked to a Royal Mail manager today and he told me that the number of mail has been dropping 8% every year since email was a thing, then after GDPR was introduced this year, it dropped a whopping 15%. Woah! I also heard that since the number of mail is so low now, they are going to switch to newer sorting machines which are designed for parcels. RM bought 60 new sorting machines for mail centres in the country but at this point only 5 are running. What the hell!
Medusa242

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: jjmedusa

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 02:55 PM

klaus3428, thank you for the information about stamp prices. It was just what I was looking for today!

P.S. Did you visit the postal museum yet? I am very interested to learn about this museum handstamp.
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Medusa242  
klaus3428, thank you for the information about stamp prices. It was just what I was looking for today!

P.S. Did you visit the postal museum yet? I am very interested to learn about this museum handstamp.

Will go there next week - they have a post box there, so no postmarking on site. There's a picture of the handstamp on page 11 of the bulletin: https://www.royalmail.com/business/sites/default/files/2018-11-30-po...
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 17-12-2018 at 08:43 PM

Here's a scan of the Post Museum cancellation I had sent to myself: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=115495#pid9059231
Can't upload on this thread.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

Imprint