fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  
I think this is pretty amazing. I live in a small rural town with a Post Office (!!!!). Today I was in there posting three cards, and said conversationally to the lovely assistant (expecting a blank look), "Are there any other postcrossers here?"

She said "oh yes there are four of you".

In one small town! Wouldn't it be astonishing if I (or they) drew an address for this place?

The system prevents you from drawing an address of another user in the same town (that you selected from the drop down menu when signing up) as you, so you would only get each other if you selected different towns.
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 02:45 PM

You can search for users around you - or elswhere on this planet - here
http://www.postcrossing.com/search/users (I found 22 active in the last month in your town)

The next step forward on the path to postcrossing-wonderland (or -fanatism, like my family would say) is to invite them to a meeting (even when you don't like too many rubberstamp-names on a card)

*meetings resp. meeting-cards offer plenty of possible coincidences, like two users sending to the same recipient, or signing a card to a user you recently received from ... so many things intertwined (almost un-unravelable, like Dr. Sheldon Cooper would say)

You don't send and/or recieve from your own town, though, so that's a coincidence that will not happen
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 04:15 PM

That was very interesting, thank you Stevyy. The post office lady had it wrong. There's only one other postcrosser in this small town and she hasn't logged on for over a year.
Michaela0705

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Roxanne

Mood: Sometimes you are at the point where it can only get better...

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 03:08 PM

Today I received two cards from UK with ascending numbers (...567 and ...568)

Both cards (from different senders) showed coastal scenes and both cards had stamps with sailingships on them (different ones from the same series).

What a nice coincidence :)
englyn

Postcrossing Username: englyn

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 03:39 PM

That was very interesting, thank you Stevyy. The post office lady had it wrong. There's only one other postcrosser in this small town and she hasn't logged on for over a year.

Or maybe the Post Office lady is correct but the postcrossers have their location set to another nearby town or the nearest city, as you do.

:P
englyn

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michaela0705  
Today I received two cards from UK with ascending numbers (...567 and ...568)

Both cards (from different senders) showed coastal scenes and both cards had stamps with sailingships on them (different ones from the same series).

What a nice coincidence :)

That's amazing! :)
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by englyn  

Or maybe the Post Office lady is correct but the postcrossers have their location set to another nearby town or the nearest city, as you do.

:P

Good point, which occurred to me later. :)
englyn

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 12:42 PM

Yesterday I received two cards from China:

CN-2826477 and
CN-2836477

:)
Whitelake
formerly known as Whitelake_

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Whitelake

Mood: a doodle a day keeps the demon at bay

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 12:07 AM

I received two postcards from the USA sent to me 5/Oct/2019
(US-6296717,
US-6296718).
Senders forgot to write the ID on the postcard.
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 04:57 PM

I asked for an adress today. Then checked my email-box. Two messages. The same minute I ordered the adress, a card sent by me was registered. Hurray.

helent

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: helent

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 11:45 PM

I had a crazy coincidence recently.

I organised a Postcrossing meetup in Melbourne. Before the meetup, several people contacted me through the forum to request a swap for the meetup card.

During the meetup, I drew some official addresses, and one of them was... one of the people who requested a swap.

The card has now arrived: https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/AU-689826
DoTea

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: DoTea

[*] posted on 16-11-2019 at 09:12 PM

Today I've receive 4 postcards, and all of them were written and sent by men!

I think this is rather unusual because there are much more female pc members than male members.
doryfera

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: doryfera

[*] posted on 25-11-2019 at 05:32 AM

This comes under the category of "embarrassing coincidence"...

I joined Postcrossing less than a month ago. So far I've sent out 8 postcards and have received none, but so far 3 have been registered as received, and 5 more are still travelling.

One of the first ones I posted was a card to someone in Germany. Her profile says she likes funny/offbeat cards, so I picked one I've been holding onto for awhile: a "documentary-style" black-and-white photographic postcard of King Kong hanging off the Empire State Building.

I checked this evening and it still hasn't been marked as received. On impulse, I decided to go take a peek at her wall of received cards. Lo and behold ... it turns out someone in Czechia mailed her the exact same card 3 days before I sent mine! Honestly, what are the odds?

I just hope the recipient doesn't think I sent her a duplicate deliberately :(
DoTea

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 09:17 PM

I just opened the official postcrossing page, and in that moment I read on the starting page that someone has received a postcard sent by me!
clemsonbeav

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: TheBeaverFamily

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 09:03 PM

I'm a newbie here, but within a week, I received two cards...both from Minsk, Belarus! And while Belarus isn't all that uncommon here, I'm only getting a couple of cards per week, so what are the odds that they'd be from the same city! Especially since I don't have repeated countries ticked! (But I know that doesn't prevent repeated countries.)
yummymayo

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: yummymayo

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 12:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by doryfera  
This comes under the category of "embarrassing coincidence"...

I joined Postcrossing less than a month ago. So far I've sent out 8 postcards and have received none, but so far 3 have been registered as received, and 5 more are still travelling.

One of the first ones I posted was a card to someone in Germany. Her profile says she likes funny/offbeat cards, so I picked one I've been holding onto for awhile: a "documentary-style" black-and-white photographic postcard of King Kong hanging off the Empire State Building.

I checked this evening and it still hasn't been marked as received. On impulse, I decided to go take a peek at her wall of received cards. Lo and behold ... it turns out someone in Czechia mailed her the exact same card 3 days before I sent mine! Honestly, what are the odds?

I just hope the recipient doesn't think I sent her a duplicate deliberately :(

I had a face palm moment when I first started as well.. I had a collection of postcards that were all very different photographs and illustrations.. I drew an username and sent them a card like usual. But a few days later I was looking through all the cards more carefully and found one with a phrase that had the exact same wording as the username that I already sent a card to. If only I had looked a little more carefully, that user could've got a card with their very own name on it!

Now I'm more meticulous about what card I send to people.
postfan

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: postfan

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 01:42 AM

I once received a card of a stone monument in Belarus that looked so much like a high-school friend of mine, that it was uncanny. The card arrived on my friend's birthday. I scanned it and emailed it to him. We both had a good laugh!
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 03:45 PM

Not the most amazing story, but I love when things like this happen:
I was about to register two cards and I looked at my travelling list and complained to my partner that a card to Germany was taking so long (not that long, like 16 days, but sometimes I forget I'm not in Europe, but even from here Germany is sometimes quick). I registered my cards and when I went back on the initial page, the card to Germany was no longer in the travelling list... Because it had been registered in the meantime! So funny! ;)

I especially like when cards get registered while I'm on the website and I realise it because of the numbers changing or the list moving, rather than seeing the email first! :D
DoTea

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  
I especially like when cards get registered while I'm on the website and I realise it because of the numbers changing or the list moving, rather than seeing the email first! :D

I like this very much too! It's like a kind of "connection" when sender and recipient are active on the postcrossing site at the same moment though they are living on very different places in the world.
englyn

[*] posted on 23-12-2019 at 06:54 PM

Yesterday I received my first card from Belarus. It was a tawny owl from the beautiful Owls of Belarus series.

Today I received my second card from Belarus. It's also the tawny owl from Owls of Belarus. Sent by a postcrosser from the other side of the country (with the same name initials!).

Both cards officially travelled for 8 days.

(Yes, I love both these cards and, no, I don't mind duplicates of such a lovely owl illustration. :) )
helent

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: helent

[*] posted on 23-12-2019 at 10:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DoTea  
Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  

I like this very much too! It's like a kind of "connection" when sender and recipient are active on the postcrossing site at the same moment though they are living on very different places in the world.

I also like when I request a card, and as I read their profile, I notice it says 'Last seen five minutes ago'.
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 3-1-2020 at 06:41 AM

Today I received 2 cards from 2 different members in one of RR group I participated.

First card talking about xenophobia, a fear and hatred of anything that is strange and foreign.
Second card talking about xenomania, intense fondness for foreign things.

Xenomania is an antonym for xenophobia. What a coincidence.

:D:D:D

Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 8-1-2020 at 05:20 PM

Wouldn't it be the most amazing coincidence if you pulled an address, and it was someone you know? In real life? (Now someone's going to say that that's already happened.)

Supposing it was someone you know and actively dislike? What would you do? :rolleyes: :duh: :freak: :borg:
englyn

[*] posted on 8-1-2020 at 07:16 PM

Wouldn't it be the most amazing coincidence if you pulled an address, and it was someone you know? In real life? (Now someone's going to say that that's already happened.)

Supposing it was someone you know and actively dislike? What would you do? :rolleyes: :duh: :freak: :borg:

Of course people have sent cards to others they've met offline! Inter/national postcrossing meet-ups exist.

Why would personal dislike prevent someone fulfilling their agreement with postcrossing to send a postcard? Why would anyone waste energy attempting to be pointlessly petty when they could just continue with their own life? I will never understand some of the posters on this forum.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 8-1-2020 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by englyn  

Of course people have sent cards to others they've met offline! Inter/national postcrossing meet-ups exist.

Why would personal dislike prevent someone fulfilling their agreement with postcrossing to send a postcard? Why would anyone waste energy attempting to be pointlessly petty when they could just continue with their own life? I will never understand some of the posters on this forum.

Hi, I didn't mean already knowing someone from postcrossing meetings. I meant someone from far back in one's own life. We all had a life before we encountered postcrossing, at least I hope so!

I don't understand pointless pettiness either, life is simply Far Too Short. But some people (such as some in-laws :duh: ) will never get that. I am assuming that you don't mean me with your final sentence. :)
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  23

Go To Top

Imprint