LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 09:11 PM
Hide don't delete a postcard from sent received wall

Can we change things so my sent wall doesn't get wiped out when the receiver deletes a postcard? Maybe it could hide not delete the picture? I like to see my sent cards and I like to get favorited - If the the person I sent it to doesn't like it, then those favorite votes get wiped out when he deletes it.

Maybe the default could be hide and the delete has to be picked.
:bouncy:
Draumar
formerly known as Birgitta

Country Flag:
Iceland

Iceland
Postcrossing Username: Draumar

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 11:46 PM

:thumbup:
NerdBird

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: NerdBird

[*] posted on 17-1-2013 at 05:14 PM

:thumbup: too!
mwquilt

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: mwquilt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2013 at 10:48 PM

Do you mean so that the recipient can hide it from their own postcard wall, whilst allowing it to stay on the senders wall? That would be good.
nowaglas

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: nowaglas

Mood: You control your thoughts. Learn to hit skip - Zero Dean

[*] posted on 17-1-2013 at 11:42 PM

good idea!
Nilkaras

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nilkaras

[*] posted on 18-1-2013 at 09:58 AM

Great Idea :) :thumbup:
ChaelaMonstah

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ChaelaMonstah

Mood: Homer:Oh, so they have internet on computers now!

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
Can we change things so my sent wall doesn't get wiped out when the receiver deletes a postcard? Maybe it could hide not delete the picture? I like to see my sent cards and I like to get favorited - If the the person I sent it to doesn't like it, then those favorite votes get wiped out when he deletes it.

Maybe the default could be hide and the delete has to be picked.
:bouncy:

:thumbup: I think this is a fabulous idea. :thumbup:

I, like many other Postcrossers, try incredibly hard to fulfill wishlists. It's a bummer when, for whatever reason, a person deletes the scanned image I uploaded. Sometimes, it kind of feels like an insult.

I realize people have their reasons for deleting images (not being fond of the postcard, wanting a blank wall, duplicate image, etc), but it's unfortunate because it affects my wall when they choose to delete my card image.

Being able to "hide" the image is a win-win, in my opinion. The person doesn't have to see the image on their wall, but I (and others) can still see it on mine.

Awesome suggestion! I really, really hope this kind of change can be implemented in the future. :D
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 11:07 PM

I really don't care, I don't even notice it if the images of my sent cards get deleted.

However, I really don't understand what mtts is trying to say. How would that be selfish exactly? It isn't taking anything away from the person who received the card.

It would be as if I give you a present, take a picture of it and then display the picture in my house and show it to friends. It might be a bit pretentious, but it wouldn't hurt you.

Quote: Originally posted by mtts  

Your sent card = the card sent by you. You are not the owner anymore after registering, therefore you have nothing to say about what the receiver does with the card, nor with the image.

I agree with this part. But the suggestion that was given has nothing to do with what the receiver does with the card or with the image. She doesn't want to dictate what that person can or cannot do with it. On the contrary, she wants the receiver to be able to do whatever they want, but still have the possibility to do what she wants too.
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 07:55 AM

Hiding the postcard is much better since it makes both sides happy.
It is, in fact, the less selfish choice! :)

(Deleting a postcard shows no consideration for the other person = selfish)

I support this idea for those who want their walls complete.
Broe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Broe

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 07:29 PM
Good idea!

I think LyndaC's idea is a really good one and I would love to see it implemented :)
AllSerene

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: AllSerene

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 08:53 PM

When I delete a scan of a card I've received, it's always so that I can replace it with a new (hopefully better quality) image. What would you want to want Postcrossing to do under those circumstances?

I'm quite happy with the way Postcrossing works at the moment. It keeps things simple and I think changing things so that the sender and recipient had different views of the card would complicate things unnecessarily.
Broe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Broe

[*] posted on 29-5-2013 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AllSerene  
When I delete a scan of a card I've received, it's always so that I can replace it with a new (hopefully better quality) image. What would you want to want Postcrossing to do under those circumstances?

I'm quite happy with the way Postcrossing works at the moment. It keeps things simple and I think changing things so that the sender and recipient had different views of the card would complicate things unnecessarily.

I think what was meant is different: Some people want a "clean" wall so they just delete the pictures of their received postcards and do not replace them at all and I think in this case it the hiding option would be good.
If my scan is not so good (though I'm always doing my best) and the receiver can get a better image I'd be very happy to see the picture replaced - but having it completely deleted would be kind of sad, don't you think?
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 02:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtts  
At the moment we see images like:
http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/US-1784049
http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/AT-136657

Registered but never received postcards can make a hole in the wall, to avoid this some postcrossers upload an image saying card not received, a black square or white rectangular or what ever.

The issue here is that the receivers registered an ID for a postcard they never received.

The Postcrossing Community Guidelines say:

Never register a postcard that hasn't arrived yet; if you see requests otherwise, please report it to us!

http://www.postcrossing.com/about/guidelines

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
Kirsji

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Kirsji

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 02:55 AM

It would be nice to be able to showcase our sent cards while allowing others to hide the received cards they don't care to show.

If someone has a really neat card, they might want to keep it on their sent wall to show other postcrossers, maybe get some trade requests out of it or at least be able to show others what they have up for possible trade.

I know a couple of members who make their own cards - very nice, too, I might add :). I think they might want to be able to keep those one-of-a-kind cards on their sent wall, too. I know some people don't like handmade cards, but some people do and it would be nice to give them a chance to stumble upon them.

I understand cards are no longer our property once they are posted, but imagine a world where everyone deletes their received cards .... so sad! Yes, I am being facetious, here! :)

:thumbup: to "hiding postcards"

Go To Top

Imprint