Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Language improvements
Achifaifa

Postcrossing Username: Achifaifa

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 09:00 PM
Language improvements

Hello, I've not seen this topic elsewhere, so here I go.

I was talking to my mother the other day about postcrossing. He loved the idea, but she doesn't actually speak English, only Spanish and French, and did not wanted to join because she would feel very limited by the languages she speak. I've been thinking about it and the language options could be improved by adding some options:

-Changing the 'Languages you can speak' text field for a list in which you can check the languages you speak or 5/8 selectable fields with different languages (I doubt much people speaks more than 8 langugages, and if someone does I don't think he will be interested in this options), displaying them in the profile (This would also solve the issue of this text field being too small for people who speak several languages).

-Enabling the users to send and/or receive postcards only from and to users who speak at least one common language.

This would not change things for users who speak English (The vast majority I'd say), and would help monolingual users enjoy postcrossing without having to use google translate or similar tools, or without implementing an option to limit what countries you send postcards to (I bet that has already been discussed here).

I don't think this would be too hard to implement and would certainly attract more people to the project.

Go To Top

Imprint