Author: Subject: mark countries you do not wish to sent / get from postcards
PiktaPanda

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: PiktaPanda

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 08:20 PM
mark countries you do not wish to sent / get from postcards

I was reading some topics here, and the idea to mark countries you do not wish sent cards (Russia or China for example) as well as an idea to mark countries you do wish to get postcards was mentioned multiple times and rejected as bad idea (what will happen if everybody bans Russia or some other country?)

I think, that opportunity to select countries is really good, because every time I see someone getting cards from little countries like Macao I get so envy, cos almost all my cards ar from/to Netherlands, Russia, Germany... On the other hand, the ones who said it wouldn't be fair are right... So I think that maybe there could be a system, there you could filter from or there you do not want receive or sent cards, BUT there will be some rules as well...
For example:
You could not ban more than 3 (or 4 or 5...) countries at the same time.
After two moths time ban stops being active and you cant ban the same country for next 3 moths (or something like that)

This way members who gets repetitive countries could be at easy for some time and as it is not permanent thing, there won't be dis-balance then everybody bans Russia or some other country...

that do you think of this idea?
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PiktaPanda  
This way members who gets repetitive countries could be at easy for some time and as it is not permanent thing, there won't be dis-balance then everybody bans Russia or some other country...

EVERY member gets repetitive countries. It's just a question of statistics.

If you want to receive cards from specific countries, I suggest you do private swaps here on the forum because the main site is random and will always be (hopefully).
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 10:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
Quote: Originally posted by PiktaPanda  

EVERY member gets repetitive countries. It's just a question of statistics.

...........the main site is random and will always be (hopefully).

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FullmetalHeart
Unregistered

[*] posted on 25-2-2013 at 11:19 PM

I think the main site NEEDS to be random, imagine the chaos if people could pick and choose the countries they send to and receive from! Some people would never get cards!
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 12:22 AM

Not only would some people never or rarely get cards but The algorythym to make it work would be extremely complicated. And changing the rules every three months would be difficult - is that a calendar three months or is it based on when you selected the countries..... keeping track of which ones you deselected or selected would make the database slow and large.

I think you have to give Paulo a break here and keep things as they are. It would be nice if we could encourage more people from the countries with smaller representation to join as that is the only way that we are all going to get more variety.

There is only one postcrosser on Norfolk Island so sending to her or getting from her is rare but even if everyone chose Norfolk Island the poor lady can only send so many card a year. There are 300,000 postcrossers . There is no way we are all going to get a card from her.

You send out cards and you take your chances.
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 12:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
I think you have to give Paulo a break here and keep things as they are. It would be nice if we could encourage more people from the countries with smaller representation to join as that is the only way that we are all going to get more variety.

:thumbup:

Go To Top

Imprint