Rocky Road Trip

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: RoadTripGloryDays

Mood: Smood!

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 05:25 AM
Add a description to the postcard before you send

Yes... I love this club. I love this web site. I love the Postcrossing experience. It's amazing. God bless it. I love it!

Still... because there's ALWAYS room for improvement (which comes at a turtle's pace around here!) please indulge a couple of suggestions.

1) For God's sake, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, give the sender of the postcard the option to write a description of their card when they send it.

I am so SICK AND TIRED of viewing great, beautiful, wonderful cards in the galleries... and having no clue what they are.. where they are... who they are, etc. because no one has filled in the description box.

Currently, only the recipient of the card is allowed to fill in the description box. ERROR, ERROR, ERROR. Most of the time, the recipient doesn't give a crap about the card or doesn't have the time or motivation to fill in the description box.

So please, for the edification of all here, let the sender, as well as the recipient, have the option to fill in the description. This way, future viewers of the card can get some idea what the card is. PLEASE! It's so annoying to see a card you like have no description. Seriously!

I am so frustrated viewing one of your beautiful cards and having NO IDEA what I am seeing, where it is, or why it is significant. Ugh!

2) The actual dimensions (size) of the postcard should be larger when we view them. So we can see better details.. And the jump between horizontal and vertical cards makes navigating through a series of favorites or country specific cards really hard to do. The "forward" arrow jumps all over the place. Very messy when you are trying to browse quickly. (you can't just keep clicking in one space)

3) When a card expires, you get to send a new card out. Great! But when your expired card eventually DOES get registered many days after expiration... the sender should get a bonus card to send out... just because their expired card FINALLY got registered. Wouldn't that be a neat bonus!? I'm so happy when an expired card gets registered... but always feel let down that I've already "spent" the outgoing card days/weeks ago. Give me a thrill... give us an It Finally Got Registered bonus send!

Otherwise, it is such a great community and function. Love it. But these three things (especially the first) drive me nuts!

Rocky
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 08:15 AM

What a nice rant =) We all need that once in a while.
The first is a nice idea, but I'm not sure most senders do care or do have the time to fill in that description box.
So it might not change much. But I understand what you mean, I enjoy 'knowing' much more too.
If I really want to know, I ask or try to find out by clues on the card.
alessandralee

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: alessandralee

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 02:12 PM

1. I would think that the sender would be even less inclined to write out a description that the receiver.

2. Postcrossing has to host every image of every postcard that is uploaded to the site. The larger the image, the more expensive it is to host it.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 02:26 PM

I ask about the option of filling in the description before it is mailed several months ago.
Between Rocky and I at least 600 more cards would have descriptions. I said if the reciepient wanted to change the description that was up to him/her but I am willing to send a description with every card.

If only 1% of us did it it would be 1% more cards with descriptions!!!
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 04:40 PM

I agree with #1 too. It doesn't annoy me as much as the OP, but still, I think it would be nice.

Sometimes, I use larger stamps and then I have to cover a part of the writing on the back or it gets covered by postmarks. Or, I sometimes receive cards with a description in a language I can't understand and therefore can't write a description.

It would be great to be able to write a description before the card gets sent out and everything is still readable and understandable by the sender.
Draumar
formerly known as Birgitta

Country Flag:
Iceland

Iceland
Postcrossing Username: Draumar

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 06:24 PM

I love the idea about the description and I would personally use it on all sent cards.
Pebbles84

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Pebbles84

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 07:54 AM

I like the description too. When I receive a viewcard and there's a little something on the back about what is shown exactly, I add it in the description. I think it would be great if you could also do that for the sent cards, as you probably know more about the place than the recipient, and cards I send often have only a sentence in Dutch on the back, which isn't very helpful for the person receiving it.

I do think there should be an option for the recipient to delete or change the description though, just like he/she can remove the whole picture.
AllSerene

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: AllSerene

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 08:57 PM

I'm another one who would like to be able to enter a description for a card I'm sending. I agree with Pebbles84, that the recipient should be able to edit / remove this if they want to though.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 29-5-2013 at 11:20 AM

When I go to the postcard wall, there are so many cards without descriptions and I wonder - "Where in the world is this?" It would be different if all cards had words on the front but only about 10-15% have.

I travel a lot and I always hope I didn't miss the really nice spot that is on that beautiful postcard.
Rocky Road Trip

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: RoadTripGloryDays

Mood: Smood!

[*] posted on 30-5-2013 at 04:14 AM

It's just nonsense that the sender can't add a description of their scanned card at the time they upload it. It's utter nonsense.

I feel so cheated by this site when I can't learn more about a card that has caught my attention... scanned by a thoughtful sender - - who is probably so happy to share information about their carefully selected choice.

Why put the onus of posting a description on the recipient? Heck, you're lucky you even get a simple thank you response when a card arrives.

The result? Thousands of great cards get uploaded to the Postcrossing with no descriptions Leaving all of us, including school children, ignorant, hollow and abandoned...

SHAME ON YOU POSTCROSSING!

Please give senders the option of sharing information about the card they have sent. Let them share with the greater Postcrossing community. It will only make the site better.

- Rocky
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 30-5-2013 at 06:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Farrow  

The first is a nice idea, but I'm not sure most senders do care or do have the time to fill in that description box.
So it might not change much. But I understand what you mean, I enjoy 'knowing' much more too.
If I really want to know, I ask or try to find out by clues on the card.

I'm one who wouldn't do that. Choosing and writing cards can already take me hours, and sharing a card information with the receiver is enough to me.
I do add (short) descriptions to my received cards though. And I don't get mad when I come across a card about which I'd like to know more.
emeraldmist

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: emeraldmist

Mood: So happy that Spring has sprung!

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 04:34 AM

Wow, what a rant Rocky! I hope you feel better now. :)

However, I do agree with your 1st suggestion. I try to write a description on all cards that the sender scans/uploads (I don't have a scanner). However there are many cards that I get where the card's description is written in a different language/alphabet and the sender does not include a description because they filled the card with wonderful details about themselves (I love this!).

I think this should be an option that is available.
isinesunshine

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: isinesunshine

Mood: :iink:

[*] posted on 20-3-2014 at 01:56 PM

I'd love to be able to add a description to the cards I send!! :thumbup:

It's really sad that so few cards feature a description and I don't think that it is a lot of work to copy the one or two lines of description from the postcard into the text field. However, as most people seem to think it was too much work, it would be nice if the sender could add the description beforehand - of course with the option to be edited by the receiver.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 12:28 AM

I agree and would definitely add descriptions to my sent cards! In fact, when I started uploading images I kept looking for where to do that because it didn't even occur to me that the sender wouldn't be able to. Right now the only work-around is to go back and add a comment. Since the sender can amend/delete the image anyway, I think this would be a real improvement.
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 10:14 PM

Rocky, love your suggestions and your rant.

About the expired cards (which no one else has addressed)....I would in addition like for the system to somehow automatically register our cards, give us "credit" for a SENT card, at about the time it will disappear from the site entirely...which is what, 365 days? It obviously will not get registered any more..yes, we were allowed to send another card at 60 days, but now we have sent 2 cards, spent money for 2 cards and postage for 2 cards, and if we are lucky, that 2nd card will get registered......I would really like to be credited for what I actually sent....even if I do have to wait a whole year, to prevent me or others from "gaming the system" and receiving cards that we might not be entitled to......just a thought.....
little-billie

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: little-billie

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 11:50 AM

I totally agree with you, it would be really nice, if the senders would have the option to add a description to the card.
I also think that it is not all the time the case that the receiver doesn't have the time or doesn't care to write a description. I myself often had the problem that I wanted to write a description for received cards but simply did not know what the card showed because it was not mentioned on the card.
ovidius

Country Flag:
Romania

Romania
Postcrossing Username: ovidius

love.gif posted on 11-7-2014 at 07:18 PM

Yes.
It would be VERY nice that the senders to have the opportunity to write something in the description. That will make sense.
mikebond

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: mikebond

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 09:24 PM

I would also like to be able to add a description to my sent postcards, especially because they often show places the recipient has never heard about and many recipients won't look for information about a church, building, lake that is on my postcard.
I would happily let everybody know more about the parts of Italy and France I live in. Please, Postcrossing, add this option! :)
tautiptoe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: tautiptoe

[*] posted on 14-8-2014 at 06:08 PM

I totally agree with the first suggestion - In fact yesterday I opened a topic regarding an option for the sender to add information during a card upload under General Topics, as as a new user I hadn't found this thread - Sorry for that.

https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=93176&page=2#p...
tautiptoe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: tautiptoe

[*] posted on 14-8-2014 at 09:29 PM

What's wrong with giving both parts of a match that chance?

I personally think, that a sender most of the time puts a lot of thought in which card to send and would like to share infos about the card motive with others as well.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 15-8-2014 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtts  
This proposal is not necessary.
The sender can use the comment-button to give a description.

But it is a lot easier to write info when you have the card with you. Unless it's a well known artist or a place you know very well, there's a good chance that once the card is registered you won't remember what was written on the back and won't be able to add a description.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 15-8-2014 at 09:53 PM

I guess this is my OCD speaking again, but I think descriptions belong in the description field. :D You can add stuff in the comments, but it won't appear if you click a preview image and enlarge it. When I browse someone's gallery and I find a postcard that interests me, I don't usually click on the ID link, I first click on the small picture to enlarge it. A description entered into the description field will show up above the image, a comment will not. I like it when the information is there. :)

There are lots of things being suggested here that have me wondering "who really needs this?", but everyone uses postcrossing in their own way, and what seems totally superfluous to me might make postcrossing much more enjoyable to others. As long as it does not mess with my way of doing this hobby, I don't care. So what's the problem with giving senders the possibility to enter a description with their uploaded image? Nobody has to fill that in if they don't want to, just as nobody has to upload any image at all - but lots of people still do it. It's as necessary or unnecessary as many other features of postcrossing, and everyone is always free just to use those they think are fun or worth it, and ignore the others.
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-

Mood: We need to keep hope alive and strive to do better. ☮ RIP Kofi Annan

[*] posted on 16-8-2014 at 05:25 AM

I agree totally :thumbup:
muffinmail

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Muffinmail

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 03:52 PM

I think that it would be a great idea, if I could add a description before I send a card.

Scanning the card is a part of my "ritual", so why not adding a few words?
Sure, if I just send a fluffy kitten or something like that, I don't think I would do it, but touristy ones? Sure no problem :)

And when the recipient has the same chance to change or delete it, like with the senders scanns?

I think it would a good addition :thumbup:

LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 08:55 PM

Has Postcrossing noticed this thread - can an admin comment on the possibility of this happening?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint