USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: cspt

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 07:54 PM
USA, Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic States, Sep. 14, 2013

CITY/REGION: Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic States

DATE: Sep. 14, 2013
TIME: 10:00 AM

LOCATION: Stone Mill Bakery Cafe, 10423 Stevenson Road, Pikesville, MD 21153, Ph: 443-660-7390.

It’s in a beautiful horse-country area, just inside the Baltimore beltway, and has plenty of parking; it’s also adjacent to the tiny, friendly post office. Their web address:
http://www.stonemillbakery.com/cafe_tupelo_honey_granola_cookies_ho...

AND...the cousin of the Postcrossing Little Letter Carrier will join us!

Send U2U or email to me (thelen.carol at gmail.com) if interested!

Pax,

Carol
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 08:46 PM

Thanks for email from Sher in Ft. Wash.

sherba31

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sherba31

Mood: waiting for the mail to arrive

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 09:44 PM

Yes, this sounds like a lovely meetup. I hope others join! I look forward to it.
ladybug513

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: ladybug513

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 02:45 PM

I would be interested, too!
ChaelaMonstah

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ChaelaMonstah

Mood: Homer:Oh, so they have internet on computers now!

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 03:00 PM

The boyfriend and I would love to attend!
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 03:25 AM

Great! I will U2U my contact info, let's give a little time to collect anyone else who wants to join us, then start finding out when is best for all,

Pax et bonum,

Carol near Baltimore

Quote: Originally posted by ChaelaMonstah  
The boyfriend and I would love to attend!
ladybug513

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 04:45 PM

Any dates yet?
petrini1

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 03:01 AM

Sure, I'd be interested. I'm in Alexandria, but depending on the date, I could probably make it up to the Baltimore area. :cool:
ChaelaMonstah

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ChaelaMonstah

Mood: Homer:Oh, so they have internet on computers now!

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 12:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by petrini1  
Sure, I'd be interested. I'm in Alexandria, but depending on the date, I could probably make it up to the Baltimore area. :cool:

I live in Alexandria, too. Small world! :D
mstfmsgn

Postcrossing Username: mstfmsgn

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 03:24 PM

I'm in Tidewater Virginia but I wonder if I could make it, depending on the date and time. It would be a 3-4 hour drive for me!
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 02:10 AM

Cousin of the Postcrossing Little Mail Carrier WILL come to our meet-up, thanks to Postcrossing's Ana. Yay! (I will pay to send Carrier home by registered mail.)

...we get together for a beverage and/or snack, ... at the little coffeeshop I mentioned, next to the tiny friendly post office, out in horse country (yet still in Baltimore). The cafe is open ...Sat 8am to 3:30pm. The post office is open ...Sat 8:30am - 12:00pm. We could take pictures with the Little Carrier, and bring some blank cards to share, and maybe show some favorite received cards? What else to do? Share your ideas!

If you would like to join us for the little meet-up, please send me an email answering the following:

1. ...

2. ...

3. ...

4. Activity you would enjoy at the meet-up.

5. ...I will bring Baltimore postcards to send out from the Meet-Up, $0.25 each. Let me know if you would like more than 10 for yourself.

6. ...

Please contact me via thelen.carol at gmail.com

Looking forward!

Pax et bonum,

Carol
mstfmsgn

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 05:53 PM

Sorry... I'm new to the Forum, so can you tell me what a Little Mail Carrier is?

I know from receiving a couple postcards from meetups that people sometimes send postcards (presumably from their own accounts, right?) from these gatherings. Is that the main activity?

Also, I've found that Zazzle.com has a wide variety of postcards on every conceivable topic. Not sure if that is the kind of postcard you were mentioning Vistaprint about, or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there. :)
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 06:43 PM

Dear Gina,

The Little Mail Carriers are tiny plastic (Lego?) people who visit meet-ups. If you look at the Postcrossing Blog, you will see photos of their adventures in various cities. E.g., http://www.postcrossing.com/blog/2013/05/08/the-little-mail-carrier...

Please share your experience. How did you come to receive a meet-up card? What did it look like?

Pax,

Carol
mstfmsgn

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 02:47 AM

Hi Carol,
I just logged in here to say "hey, I figured it out!" I saw the latest post re: Galway on the front page and checked it out. What a cool idea!

Well, there isn't much to tell. I didn't know that there were meetups until I got this card--or rather, I thought that there was just one international meetup a year, or something--silly now, I realize. Anyway, it's a card of London, my favorite city on earth, and I got excited since I don't often get cards from the UK. Lo and behold, there are signatures in five colors of ink from at least 20 individuals on the card, plus a pre-printed sticker that reads "4th Annual London Postcrossing Meeting, @Oxford 4th May 2013." The card is DE-2143837, if you want to see it.

What I wondered is, do the attendees sort of bank up all their allowed cards, and then just go nuts on the site downloading recipients at the meetup? Because that sounds kind of fun. Like, everyone just gets all these addresses and writes them on their cards, then pass all the cards around and everybody signs all of them. Then how many people around the world get a card with X-number of signatures on it? From the meetup in X part of the world? I just thought that was the coolest thing. But I can't imagine how that would work UNLESS several recipients "saved up" their allowance for sending cards. Which requires some planning ahead of time--or at least, on my part, some serious resistance of temptation! (I send cards almost constantly and always have the full amount in transit.)

Right now I can send 20 postcards at a time. So if I were to attend a meetup, and say I had even half of mine ready to send at that time, I could bring 10 cards (with stamps) and everyone who attends could all sign them there, to be registered by random recipients.

Rather than just sending "swap" cards to those who request them. Although that's certainly do-able as well.
mstfmsgn

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 02:55 AM

From user Minimix:
http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/DE-2143837

If you were inclined to make your own postcard from Vistaprint (for example), and the minimum for a decent price is 100 cards, then you could have other users who plan to attend "bank up" the number of cards they can send, to ensure you can send out all 100 cards. It would make sense to do this if you were going to put some kind of iconic image on there, like a picture of Baltimore or something, that represents where the meetup is. I don't know how other Postcrossers would feel about that, but I'd love to receive a card like that. I think that would be mighty cool.

And as Vistaprint seems to have pricing starting at $25 for 100 cards, I wonder if attendees would be willing to donate a couple bucks each toward that cost?

All of this is making me think I should try to get a meetup going in Tidewater Virginia! :)
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 02:59 AM

So, I see their meet-up used commercial cards. We could get the 25-cent Balto. cards at the Hopkins bookstore, that could be pretty painless...
mstfmsgn

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 03:02 AM

Yes, it certainly makes sense if you can get however many cards you need at 25 cents or less, to go that route. :)
ladybug513

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 07:35 PM

I agree that buying Baltimore postcards locally makes sense. As to whom to send them to, you can (1) send them to your "officials" (US-xxxxxx) or (2) to anyone you may have developed a relationship with through the Forum, etc. I have been a member for over two years and have established ongoing swaps with a number of members, so they would definitely receive a postcard from me. I suggest having address labels printed and ready to stick onto the postcards. It saves time copying addresses onto the postcards while everyone waits to sign them. If you only have a few to send, then no problem! Tiny stickers announcing the date and place (as mentioned by mstfmsgn above) are also great, as you will want to have that information included on the postcards.

I think this meet-up sounds lovely - just an afternoon spent with other postcrossers in a relaxing setting!

Susan
ladybug513

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 16-7-2013 at 12:00 PM

I could come to the meet-up if it is scheduled for July 27 or August 17.
sherba31

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sherba31

Mood: waiting for the mail to arrive

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 08:18 PM

Hello. I was just wondering if there was any news on this meetup as I haven't heard anything via e-mail? Thanks.
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 02:14 AM

...I had to schedule a major life event before proceeding with planning the meet-up. I will send email to Sher, Susan, and Michaela, so I apologize in advance for duplicate notes. Any other people interested in the meet-up please send me your email address--mine is shown below (hint, hint).

...we can spend a few hrs enjoying ourselves, signing cards, sharing tips & cards, etc...I have compiled all other suggestions and will attach them to email if you provide your address.

Pax et bonum,

Carol
thelen.carol at gmail.com
Tel. 917-456-7948
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 03:02 PM
Baltimore Meet-Up Sep. 14

The overwhelming favorite date was Sat. 9/14. So, let’s meet at 10 a.m. at the Stone Mill Bakery Cafe, 10423 Stevenson Road, Pikesville, MD 21153, Ph: 443-660-7390. It’s just inside the Baltimore beltway, and has plenty of parking; it’s also adjacent to the tiny, friendly post office. Their web address: http://www.stonemillbakery.com/cafe_tupelo_honey_granola_cookies_ho...

1. Let’s plan to send out Baltimore Meet-Up postcards. Thanks for the great suggestions, which I will try to incorporate. Soooo, bring stamps and a stick-on label addressed for each person to whom you would like to send a Meet-up card. Whom to send [meet-up cards] to, you can (1) send them to your "officials" (US-xxxxxx) (you could sort of bank up your cards and then download a bunch of new addressees just prior to the Meet-UP) or (2) to anyone you may have developed a relationship with through the Forum, etc. As for postcards, I will bring as many Baltimore-themed cards as you’d like to sign & send. Plan to spend $0.25 each, which I thought was a good price at the Hopkins Barnes & Noble, or bring your own. Each person, please bring an unusual color of ink to sign the cards jointly. Remember to tell me how many cards you want me to bring.

2. Would someone like to bring a bunch of small stick-on labels we could put on each card, commemorating the meet-up? For example, each label could say, Baltimore Postcrossing Meet-Up 2013, and if you want to get fancy, could have a graphic or something, like a black-eyed Susan daisy (Md state flower), or a ship (Baltimore harbor), or whatever strikes you. I know that dollar stores often carry sheets of labels which could be put in a printer; if they are a little too big, could be printed for two per label and cut in half. Let me know if you are interested in contributing commemorative labels.

3. Let’s take pictures with the Little Letter Carrier’s cousin. Therefore, bring any little props that might go well (a crab?), and if you are particularly interested in taking the photos, please bring your camera. Otherwise, I will plan to bring my camera & share the photos afterward.

3. Please bring a blank postcard for a grab-bag exchange.

4. Bring some favorite received cards to show & tell.

5. Plan to share tips about where to get postcards locally or online, tips on storing and organizing cards, photos of your storage, or photos of where you send your cards or your mailbox where you receive your cards, etc.

6. What do you think about the idea of advertising that we would send (some limited number of) postcards out to PCers who respond online. E.g., "To receive a meet-up postcard, 10 postcrossers will be randomly chosen from those who reply before 9/7." ?

7. Spread the word if you know anyone who might like to join us!

Thanks for all the great ideas. Looking forward to meeting you!

Pax et bonum,

Carol
thelen.carol at gmail.com
Tel. 917-456-7948
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 05:03 PM
Little Letter Carrier Cousin Arrived - Baltimore Meet-Up Sat., Sep. 14

The cousin of the Little Letter Carrier has arrived!! Very cute, ready to meet all of us!

Remember, let’s meet at 10 a.m. at the Stone Mill Bakery Cafe, 10423 Stevenson Road, Pikesville, MD 21153, Ph: 443-660-7390. It’s just inside the Baltimore beltway, and has plenty of parking; it’s also adjacent to the tiny, friendly post office. Their web address: http://www.stonemillbakery.com/cafe_tupelo_honey_granola_cookies_ho...

Pax et bonum,

Carol
cspt

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 05:38 PM
Receive a Meet-Up Card from Baltimore

Would you like to receive a card from our Meet-Up in Baltimore in September?

HOW?

RESPOND ON THIS THREAD before September 7.

Do not U2U. Do not Email.

Five lucky Postcrossers will be randomly selected from among those who ask for a Meet-Up Card by September 7.

Pax et bonum,

Carol
gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: gran8

Mood: Happy to be with my family :)

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 05:53 PM

Yes please :)
 Pages:  1    3