Author: Subject: Having a choice in selecting repeated countries
Susu29

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: SuSu29

[*] posted on 15-6-2013 at 02:05 PM
Having a choice in selecting repeated countries

I can't see this suggested elsewhere, so forgive me if it has been discussed.

I wish we could select the repeated countries we could send to. I find my post to certain countries to be super fast - Germany, Finland, Netherlands for example. Oddly, the US is not so fast. I wouldn't have a problem having several cards travelling to some of those counties at a time as I know they are usually registered within 2 weeks. I know we don't want to exclude countries that might have slower mail services, however I don't tick that box currently as I don't want to have so many cards tied up for such a longer period of time.

Just thought this might be a useful idea :) Wonder if anyone else thinks so?
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 02:42 PM

just think about this: what if, for instance, everyone decided they wanted to send their repeated cards to... Norway? How would that work? How would the Russian, for instance, get the cards they are waiting for?
Susu29

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 09:08 PM

For example I can send 19 cards at a time. I would choose 5 cards to Germany and 5 to Finland at a time and then 9 "random" countries which would probably have Russia, China, etc. in that mix that is how they would get them. I am not suggesting excluding those countries from my possible addresses rather if you wanted to select repeated countries.
emmakko

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: emmakko

[*] posted on 16-6-2013 at 09:58 PM

I think it's not a good idea to let people choose countries. I know not so many of us like sending postcards to "slow" countries like Russia or China, so most of us would probably not choose these countries, and the address queues would get really long when there are lots of people who can send only one postcard at a time to these countries (and those who have chosen to send to these countries would only get addresses to them).
I also think that there are people who wouldn't choose to send repeatedly to the big Postcrossing countries, but to Norway, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Malta, Uruguay etc. so I think this feature wouldn't be really useful.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 03:15 PM

The best thing to do is to select the option for repeated countries and then when you reach a certain number of addresses to the same country, unselect the option.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 03:30 PM

If you only had a choice of selecting from the top ten countries or if there was a way to switch the repeated counties option to a new one of those countries every 3-6 months I would choose it. I don't want to have repeated countries on and only get Netherlands or Germany forever and no other country.

So if my repeated country was Russia for three months and then Germany for 3 months and then Finland for three months I would sign up. The way it appears to be now it doesn't change to a new repeated country.

Please tell me if I am wrong.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 18-6-2013 at 02:22 PM

https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=58041&page=2

This is different but similar. If the number sent to one repeated country could be limited to 5 or 10 and then it would go to the next country that needs a balance that would give the person selecting repeated countries some variety but it would also help the balance problem.
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=58041&page=2

This is different but similar. If the number sent to one repeated country could be limited to 5 or 10 and then it would go to the next country that needs a balance that would give the person selecting repeated countries some variety but it would also help the balance problem.

I think that's the best idea so far. I switched on "repeated" countries when I had about 8 or so cards "travelling". From memory the next immediate 3 or 4 were all to Russia, which take 30 days plus to arrive. I switched off repeats before all my "Travelling" were to Russia.

Now I have 15 travelling, I would switch on "repeated" again if the maximum was limited to say 3. Or even choose yourself your own "limit" for one country, irrespective of the country involved. In other words , choose the number, not the country.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 01:28 PM

Paulo

Is something like this even possible (choosing the number of repeats or you setting it to a certain maximum number) with the algorythyms that you use or is it so difficult it isn't worth it.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 04:18 PM

I also think this is the best compromise. Let's say the maximum was set to 5 (it could even be 10), someone who has 15 cards travelling with the option to send to repeated countries would be sure to send to at least 3 different countries with a good balance between them. I think it would even increase the number of people who select that option.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 05:03 PM

I'm up to 18 cards and heading to 19 and if there was a maximum I would set my options to include it, but I don't want 17 cards going to Russia or to Germany so I leave it unchecked.
Susu29

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
I'm up to 18 cards and heading to 19 and if there was a maximum I would set my options to include it, but I don't want 17 cards going to Russia or to Germany so I leave it unchecked.

Exactly my point! I wouldn't mind having a few to a "fast" country like Germany but not all.

And as Incrou7 mentioned I think some sort of limit and/or country choice would increase the number of people who select the option.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Susu29  

And as Incrou7 mentioned I think some sort of limit and/or country choice would increase the number of people who select the option.

I don't agree with the idea of country choice though.
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 07:04 PM

I don't like the idea of country choice either, because choosing ones means excluding others.
I have "repeated countries" unchecked, but if mail to Russia were as fast as to Germany (or as the rest of Europe actually) I wouldn't mind having 13 out of my 15 allowed cards travelling to there.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 08:16 PM

No my suggestion is an alternate to choosing the country. You still wouldn't have a choice of country but there would be a limit to the number of postcards going to each repeated country.
I don't mind if 5 were going to Russia and 5 to Germany but not all my cards.

Go To Top

Imprint