Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What does "Up" mean?
Tyska

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 07:25 PM

I have nothing against upping at all. :)
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 12:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tyska  
I have nothing against upping at all. :)

A lot of other members do, including the Admin (me) and moderators of this forum.

Upping interrupts the flow of a tag and causes confusion.

Vicki
forum Administrator
Tyska

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 02:27 PM

It's my opinion that I wanted to express, because of freedom of opinion and such. I am not saying that I do it all the time, but that I don't find it annoying or confusing.

If a tag has been stuck for weeks or even months, upping is a great chance to revive it - not everyone (inlcuding me and a lot of other members) reads the "promote your disappearing tag" thread.
I know how to read and can most certainly tell the difference between a "tag" and "up" message. Most of the people on here should be able to do that, since they are not stupid. I don't find it confusing at all but helpful.
(To prevent missunderstandings: I am not claiming that people who are confused by "ups" are stupid. I just don't like the generalization that everybody is confused by upping. To me that sounds like we are not able to read properly.)

I agree though, that there's no need to up a tag unless the person who is to be tagged has tried to make changes to the wishlist or offers, but still doesn't get tagged back; multiple ups are not necessary either.

This discussion is unnecessary in my opinion(!). It's a question of preference and opinion.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 04:28 AM

It's my opinion that I wanted to express, because of freedom of opinion and such. I am not saying that I do it all the time, but that I don't find it annoying or confusing.

Well, that's you. The Head Forum Administrator and other moderators who have been at this longer than most have heard from countless others that this practice is confusing and unfair. I agree 100% with them. I never tag a person who engages in upping :thumbdown:
Tyska

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden

[*] posted on 19-11-2011 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  

Well, THAT'S YOU. The Head Forum Administrator and other moderators who have been at this longer than most have heard from countless others that this practice is confusing and unfair. I agree 100% with them. I never tag a person who engages in upping :thumbdown:

So, according to you my opinion is useless, because I am not one of those who send complaints. Wow! ...
Do you want me to send a message to one of the administrators/moderators and tell them that I am fine with upping? I am afraid they would ignore me, or try to convince me that upping is so wrong, just like you are trying to do.

Calm down a little. I am here to tell you guys that this is not the biggest problem we have on this planet and that there's a few people who don't give a dang about upping - and that's NOT JUST ME. I have all the rights to do so.

If it's a rule on here then fine... whatever! That doesn't mean that everybody have to hate it, right.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 20-11-2011 at 01:36 AM

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't have a problem with that. And you can hate the rule - no problem with that either. That being so, I am entitled to my opinion as well and as I said before, I will never tag a person who upps no matter what twist they try to put on it.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

[*] posted on 20-11-2011 at 03:16 AM

:thumbup:
Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  
You are entitled to your opinion. I don't have a problem with that. And you can hate the rule - no problem with that either. That being so, I am entitled to my opinion as well and as I said before, I will never tag a person who upps no matter what twist they try to put on it.
moonlessnite

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: moonlessnite

Mood: "when the rain beats against my window pane, I'll think of summer rains again and dream of you." - Chad and Jerem

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:55 AM

When I see UP. it sends me in orbit.:flaming:
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 02:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by moonlessnite  
When I see UP. it sends me in orbit.:flaming:

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbup:
Guinan
formerly known as Fynn

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Guinan

Mood: "Weird is part of the job". (Cpt. Janeway, Star Trek, Voyager)

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 03:43 AM

I think this discussions stucked and I "up" it now. :D

I have no problem with upping although I find it annoying, too, but I can read and many others here, too.
The problem is that there really are often members who don´t read, they only tag. I have the feeling that some people even write only "tag" and don´t look who they have tagged. They click on the button "u2u" and ready. If they then click a person who upped the tag and does not realize that he or she is not meant the confusion is perfect.
So it is good that upping is forbidden but what I don`t understand is why it provokes such a discussion. Not upping is the best way to see what tags are popular or not.
Hasip

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: Hasip

Mood: In the mood for writing Postcards .. :)

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:33 PM

Re : " Upping interrupts the flow of a tag and causes confusion "
.... i don't agree at all .
Members who participate in a certain thread , know most of the names and often just look at the last entry-name in their favorites-list .
I have nothing against " upping " .... did it myself untill the Australian Lady told me not to .
:) i think she does not realise that her messages alsos do " up " the threads and maybe also confuse " many " people :eureka:
Now i am glad to notice that someone else does it :)
Disappearing tags have no chance to be discovered by new members when nobody ups .
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 06:00 AM

I think they banned upping quite well from this forum as I have never seen it :thumbup:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint