Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Venia

Mood: Feuer im Herzen. :)

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 09:28 PM
Hide the inactive users in expired postcards

Hi,

the problem that I'm facing each time I look at my expired postcards is the following: Should I write another card to that person or not? I guess writing a card, that went missing in the great big, yellow/blue monster, is okay for me, but writing a card to a more than 1 month inactive user is not. At the moment I can hide all my expired postcards, which I think is a wonderful idea. But I really like to see, which of these users are inactive and which are active, so that I can decide whether I write a second card or not. SO I suggest to create a option, where I can see, if a user of my postcard travelling more than 60 days is active or inactive.
What do you think?
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Turquoiseozzie

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 02:30 AM

If a card expires, as far as I am concerned that is the end of it. I have had a few cases where as soon as I get the address I can tell the card will expire, because the user sends cards but doesn't register them. I don't understand how this can be possible. I got one yesterday where the person has been on the site for 458 days & has registered the grand total of 4 cards, all in 2012, so I knew right away that I would be wasting a card, it will expire & it is beyond pointless trying to contact the person again. If they do in fact become active after my card to them has expired, that is too bad. Why waste further cards.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Turquoiseozzie  
If a card expires, as far as I am concerned that is the end of it. I have had a few cases where as soon as I get the address I can tell the card will expire, because the user sends cards but doesn't register them. I don't understand how this can be possible. I got one yesterday where the person has been on the site for 458 days & has registered the grand total of 4 cards, all in 2012, so I knew right away that I would be wasting a card, it will expire & it is beyond pointless trying to contact the person again. If they do in fact become active after my card to them has expired, that is too bad. Why waste further cards.

That member has been Inactive so their address has not been given out since 2012. They were not expecting any postcards at all this year but started to send some again in July 2013

They made their account Active in the last 24 hours and so their address has been given out 8 times because they are owed 8 postcards.

Send the the postcard.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 01:32 PM

I don't send twice but like Mundoo says -- you don't know whether a person has just reactivated their account after an absence (illness, death in the family, who knows). Life can get in the way of postcrossing.

I always send whether the person was active yesterday or a year ago. It's not fair not to send a card.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 04:10 PM

so I knew right away that I would be wasting a card, it will expire.

how can you possibly know that?
Venia

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Venia

Mood: Feuer im Herzen. :)

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 05:50 PM

Well, it's not about sending a card or not after getting an adress. I do send cards to all the adresses I get. This is a suggestion about how to make the expired postcards better.

If I send a card to a person and this card expires then I really like to see if that person is online frequently, if yes, I will send another card, which will be hopefully received by this person. I really wish to see, which expired card is lost because of the post office and which one due to the inactivity of that person.
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 29-8-2013 at 03:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
so I knew right away that I would be wasting a card, it will expire.

how can you possibly know that?

In June I had 4 cards in a row where I could tell right away they would expire, and every one of them did.

The first one hadn't been on the site for 3 months & hadn't registered anything since April & nothing had been sent since April. The second at the time I sent it, hadn't registered or sent anything for a month (they seem to be active again now, but never got my card). The third hadn't registered anything since March or sent anything since April. The fourth had received nothing, although they have now.
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 29-8-2013 at 03:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

That member has been Inactive so their address has not been given out since 2012. They were not expecting any postcards at all this year but started to send some again in July 2013

They made their account Active in the last 24 hours and so their address has been given out 8 times because they are owed 8 postcards.

Send the the postcard.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team

I have sent it. I send every card. What choice did I have? Fair enough if they registeri t but as you can see from my previous post I seemed to have some bad luck.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 29-8-2013 at 09:30 PM

The first one hadn't been on the site for 3 months & hadn't registered anything since April & nothing had been sent since April. The second at the time I sent it, hadn't registered or sent anything for a month (they seem to be active again now, but never got my card). The third hadn't registered anything since March or sent anything since April. The fourth had received nothing, although they have now.

My suggestion is to stop looking at these infos. What good is it for? I have no idea how long ago the receivers of my cards were online and I think I'm enjoying it a lot more this way.
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 29-8-2013 at 11:14 PM

My suggestion is to stop looking at these infos. What good is it for? I have no idea how long ago the receivers of my cards were online and I think I'm enjoying it a lot more this way.

I look at it because it gives me an idea of how likely it is that the card will expire. The facility is there to be used.:rolleyes:
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 30-8-2013 at 03:28 PM

Yes, but knowing if your card is likely to be expired doesn't have any use.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 30-8-2013 at 03:41 PM

I don't think that the information proves that your card will expire. I have several times had a person not be on site lately and I have been given their name. Their name was given out not based on when they were on site but when a card they sent was received.

You are basing it on the wrong thing.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Venia  
Hi,

the problem that I'm facing each time I look at my expired postcards is the following: Should I write another card to that person or not? I guess writing a card, that went missing in the great big, yellow/blue monster, is okay for me, but writing a card to a more than 1 month inactive user is not. At the moment I can hide all my expired postcards, which I think is a wonderful idea. But I really like to see, which of these users are inactive and which are active, so that I can decide whether I write a second card or not. SO I suggest to create a option, where I can see, if a user of my postcard travelling more than 60 days is active or inactive.
What do you think?

Do you have so many expired cards that you can't just click on a user's name in your list and look at how long ago they were last seen? That's what I do from time to time - and then I hide that unpleasant part of my sent list again. I currently have 28 expired cards, and I wouldn't want to send replacement cards to all of those receivers at the same time anyway. I think there are lots of things that are way more important if you want to make improvements. It's not too much to ask for that you check the activity of your receivers yourself, especially since there is no requirement to resend.
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 04:18 AM

Yes, but knowing if your card is likely to be expired doesn't have any use.

You may not think so. I would rather know than not know. When they expire, I am not surprised. What is wrong with that? As the previous poster says, check their activity.

Go To Top

Imprint