eliah

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: eliah

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 12:13 PM
New date/status for sent

Hello!

I think it would be nice to introduce a status "sent" to the postcrossing workflow and count postcards travel time starting from this moment but not from the time you get destination address.
Because now when I get a destination address for next postcard, I go to person's profile and read his/her wishes for the postcard. Then it sometimes takes some days to buy a postcard of required subject. The counter is already running which causes erroneously log delivery time for some cards.
So I suggest the following workflow:
1. Get address, the timer is not started yet. You can see your postcards in "to be sent" folder.
2. Spend some time trying to find requested postcard, write it , bring it to a postoffice, send.
3. Mark the card as "sent" on the site. Delivery timer starts at this point...

For sure, there could be an option for postcrossers to use old/new style of workflow or, for example, introduce the period in days when the status will be set "sent" automatically if not set manually.

What do you think?
emaniuz

Country Flag:
Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia
Postcrossing Username: Emaniuz

Mood: I-mood-mood! :singing:

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 03:52 PM

yeah, agree! Sometimes, i could not find any postcard from the receiver's wishlist after i request the address and left with no choice but to select something from my stocks as time is running for me to look for the postcard.

maybe after, say 3 days, the status of the card will automatically set to sent.
emeraldmist

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: emeraldmist

Mood: So happy that Spring has sprung!

[*] posted on 29-9-2013 at 10:32 PM

I am not a fan of this idea. I realize not everyone is in the same boat as I am, however I am lucky enough to have a large stash of cards ready to send. It is incredibly rare that I draw a profile with requests that I can't match. So I pull the card from my stash, write it, stamp it and put out for the mail carrier. Then I am done.

Please don't add another step to the process. It is not necessary and only adds an extraneous step, that I could likely forget at least half the time. Either way the travel times would be inaccurate. I don't mind that the current way of processing the travel time includes "selection" time. The 28 day "travel time" of my last received card includes the time the sender took to select/write/send the card, plus the Sundays (and sometimes Saturdays) that it doesn't travel, plus the 2 - 3 days between the time I receive it and I register it (I work 70 hour weeks, I usually register on days off). I understand that - and I like that I know how long the entire process took.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by emeraldmist  

Please don't add another step to the process. It is not necessary and only adds an extraneous step, that I could likely forget at least half the time.

I agree! I'm sure I'd forget most of the time.
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:34 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan either. I don't want to manually mark cards as 'sent' and I'm happy with the way it is.

Go To Top

Imprint