eliah

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: eliah

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 12:25 PM
Grouping same cards

Hello!

One more imporovement that I think would be nice to have is grouping of the same cards into one object everywhere (on the wall, in recommendations, etc). Because now when I send copies of the same card to different people, the image attached by me to each postcard is always treated as new (unique). It occupies extra storage space on the server and makes the wall and stats look worse - the wall shows duplicate images of the same card, stats shows 5 "likes" for one copy, 3 "likes" for another copy of the same card, etc.
So it would be nice to merge copies of the same card into one.

Technically, I see it the following way:

1. Allow postcrossers not only upload a new image to the card being sent, but also choose from previously uploaded images.
2. Find/develop the routine to find similar images. This is relatively difficult task to accomplish, but for sure will help to save storage space on the server.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 11:46 PM

But it's a new postcard each time. I scan each of my postcards individually, and the scans of the cards I have received twice or even three times all look different - because they are different postcards, with different travel marks, smudges and creases. If they were grouped together, there would only be images, not postcards.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 03:02 PM

Yes, and each postcard is link to a person. How would that work?
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 03:38 PM

Sometimes I think it should work this way and all the twins should be together, but I can't see it working and so many of the twins are different because their journey is different and the nicks, scrapes and people they were sent to was different.

I think the program would have a problem also because if it was going to recognise the card as being the same(?) would it recognize the same card if Incrou7 sent and I sent? Then you would have different receivers and senders on one picture. Would it know to include them in both of our stats. Right now we can't even put categories or key words on an image, how would the computer recognise that the picture was the same.

When "X" deletes it off his wall - does it disappear from everyone's wall? This gets very complicated
eliah

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: eliah

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 11:02 AM

siobhan:
Wow! I've never thought that somebody uses the wall to keep memory for scratches of each received card. Why? You have physical cards for that!
For me, the wall exists only for three tasks:
1. to help senders to avoid sending duplicate cards by examining receiver's wall of received cards.
2. to help senders understand receiver's wishes better by examining his/her favorites.
3. for statistic resons. For example, to get know which of cards you send is more often gets into favorites.

LyndaC:
From IT side, it's not really compicated. Maybe excepting the algorithm to automatically find similar images. But even without it there could be a possibility for senders to link one image to many people if these cards are same. When I send cards, there are no any scratches/stamps/etc on it yet. So why to use extra space on server uploading the same image many times?
As for removal from the wall, it's also simple. Image stays on server until at least one link of it with postcard ID exists.

LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 06:11 PM

We all upload for different reasons.
1) I use the wall to see what I received and what I sent - especially what I sent. I don't have them anymore. Also I like to know which card of mine was the most popular.
2) Some people scan the stamps on a card as well - I remove those scans immediately and post a new scan with no stamps. I want to see the card.
3) I have seen the same postcard more than once on people's walls but some are phone pics, some are scans, some are too dark, some are too light and some are fuzzy. I often remove the scan the sender used and add my own because the picture isn't good.
If the picture was already up and I tried to remove it and post a new one because it was a fuzzy scan or a crappy shot, will the program let me. I don't want someoneelse's poor photo on my wall.

ch_nz

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ch_nz

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 12:21 PM

The feature that eliah describes I also would love to have.

I realize that people also want to see the travel marks etc. But it could be implemented in such a way that you can create a view that allows you to link two images (you can do that by hand no need for a recognition algorithm). So on my wall there could be a fifth tab (received, sent, favourites, popular, popular grouped) and in the last one I can say "these are actually the same images" and for those the likes would be added together. Probably not very easy to implement requiring changes to the data model but if a major change was made, maybe it could be included?

Go To Top

Imprint