formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: gran8

Mood: Happy to be with my family :)

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 08:07 AM
Sending officials before joining the Forum

If this has been discussed before, sorry, but I can't see it.

Anyone else think it might be a good idea for new members to have sent a few cards officially BEFORE they join the Forum? I see so many new members who start asking for swaps, joining tags, etc., without having any sent cards. I don't even know if this would be possible, but maybe a restriction until you have sent/received 5 or 10 cards might help new members to decide if they like it or not, before committing to vast numbers of swaps etc.
mingshu

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: mingshu

Mood: unusual times... everyone take care of yourselves and your near ones :)

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 08:08 AM

:thumbup:
emmakko

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: emmakko

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 11:37 AM

:thumbup:

There are some tags I would like to join, too, but before tagging I checked the last persons' profiles and noticed that almost all of them had 0 officials sent & received.

But of course there may be people who need help with something and need a quick answer, and then it's good that also those who haven't sent anything yet can join the forum.
AnneTanne

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: AnneTanne

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 05:21 PM

I think that many newbies join the forum because they have questions about post-crossing (yes, I'm talking about myself too...)
Perhaps it might be stated in the forum-rules that swaps, rr's, tags... can only be joined after having sent/received a certain number of cards, but to prevent them to join....?
Otherwise, there should be another way to find support...
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AnneTanne  

Perhaps it might be stated in the forum-rules that swaps, rr's, tags... can only be joined after having sent/received a certain number of cards, but to prevent them to join....?

I wouldn't mind if there was a rule that said people can only join the tags and RRs after like 50 posts.
(Not for private swaps though, cause that is totally up to the discretion of the 2 parties involved.)
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell Zac

[*] posted on 15-10-2013 at 04:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  

I wouldn't mind if there was a rule that said people can only join the tags and RRs after like 50 posts.
(Not for private swaps though, cause that is totally up to the discretion of the 2 parties involved.)

There is no way with the current Forum software that a member can be prevented from joining or responding to any message on the forum. There is no way to inhibit a user joining a tag

Vicki
Forum Administrator
AnneTanne

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: AnneTanne

[*] posted on 15-10-2013 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  
Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  

There is no way with the current Forum software that a member can be prevented from joining or responding to any message on the forum. There is no way to inhibit a user joining a tag

Vicki
Forum Administrator

I understand that of course...
But I was merely suggesting that 'forum-rules' would just ask new forum-members to wait to join a swap, RR... until they have a specific number of send/registered cards (maybe 1, 3 or 5)..
Or the host of a swap, RR... could ask that only members who have at least at least a certain number officials registered can join. (When new candidates send a u2u with their address to the host, they might be asked to tell how many registered cards they do have already.)
jalutaja

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: jalutaja

Mood: I am a person with a worrisome difference factor

[*] posted on 15-10-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gran7  
If this has been discussed before, sorry, but I can't see it.

Anyone else think it might be a good idea for new members to have sent a few cards officially BEFORE they join the Forum? I see so many new members who start asking for swaps, joining tags, etc., without having any sent cards. I don't even know if this would be possible, but maybe a restriction until you have sent/received 5 or 10 cards might help new members to decide if they like it or not, before committing to vast numbers of swaps etc.

I started out on forum nearly same day as I registered on official site. So my first tag cards arrived before my first official card and they DID make waiting easier!

Also - participating in forum taught me the Postcrossing etiquette, helped me to be a better postcrosser.

So - I believe participating on the forum is only good for the newbies!
gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: gran8

Mood: Happy to be with my family :)

[*] posted on 16-10-2013 at 08:12 AM

The comments here regarding the member from Belarus

https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=18078

show that not all newbies are as conscientious as you, jalutaja. As I understand it, hosts of RRs and tags can ask that members have a certain number of successfully completed swaps, for example. If the software doesn't allow for this to be done automatically, then I think AnneTanne's idea of a suggestion in Forum rules would be a good idea - it would mean that tag/RR hosts and members would be able to direct the new member to that.

In the case of the member in the thread above, I see that his/her official profile name does not appear - I thought it was required for all new members joining the Forum? If not, it should be - it's another way to check out who you are dealing with.

I should say, I have never participated in RRs or tags, my interest here was piqued by a U2U from a new member asking for a swap. As always, I checked them out and discovered they had made 85 posts in tags etc in just a few days - and had NO sent cards on the officials. I declined. They have now disappeared, owing cards to many people.
Quahtreenuh

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Quahtreenuh

Mood: amused

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jalutaja  

I started out on forum nearly same day as I registered on official site. So my first tag cards arrived before my first official card and they DID make waiting easier!

Also - participating in forum taught me the Postcrossing etiquette, helped me to be a better postcrosser.

So - I believe participating on the forum is only good for the newbies!

:thumbup::thumbup: This was my experience too. I'm sure it was quite suspicious to start with, but, being new, it also didn't occur to me that people would even be noticing. Of the hundred some tags I've been owed since I joined at the end of August, there are only 5 that I am pretty sure won't ever arrive (it's been such a long time, they aren't slow-post countries): 2 are newbies, 3 are people who have been on a lot longer than me. In swaps, four haven't arrived (all newbies) but those were entirely at my own discretion.

I like that many RRs have limits on the number of groups people can join until their cards start arriving; tags and swaps are use at your own risk anyway.

For the (in my experience) small percentage who abuse the honor system, they seem to disappear or get caught and stopped (one of those swaps that didn't arrive has a "banned by Mundoo" message in her profile). For the rest of us, the Forum has helped get us excited about PC and learn the etiquette. How about all those people that inexplicably click the "repeat countries" button, get five addresses to, for example, Russia and Belarus, and then have to wait more than a month before ANY are registered? If it weren't for the forum, had that happened to me, I might have totally forgotten about the project and disappeared, especially without the guidance from long term users on the Forum who gripe about people who do that and then let cards expire ;)

Anyway, I now understand the frustration about newbies disappearing. However, I think more people get into it and stay because they've found the Forum than just use it and abuse it.
sister_owl

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: sister_owl

Mood: :bouncing:

[*] posted on 28-12-2013 at 12:58 PM

gran8
I am against it. For example, out of my 5 first cards, 2 has not yet arrived - and by the curious coincidence, both those people register their cards in packs once or twice monthly. Why should I be punished of exchanging postcards just because it's hard for people to register a card? I perfectly understand that life is bigger than a hobby, but why should it be my fault? Or any other newbie?

More than a half of my received cards are from RRs and swaps. And yes, I joined some of them with 0 cards sent or received. Thank goodness there are kind people who don't think you are a crook without knowing you just because your cards have not yet arrived!

Sorry but this is a horrible suggestion! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
If there would be limits for RRs, tags and swaps ALSO :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Don't participate in groups where there are people you don't trust.
melilot

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: melilot

[*] posted on 28-12-2013 at 04:18 PM

I'm rather new here, I've done a few tags.
What I can say is that some very active persons on the forum JUST DON'T SEND THE POSTCARDS, and I'm still waiting for a certain number of them.
Being new does not necessarily mean you're a thief...

I've also had a very bad experience in a swap with a very highly ranked user !

Another thing : somebody here in a tag sent me her address with only the first two letters of her name. As a newbie, I said nothing and sent the postcard, but have no new about it...

karryan

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: karryan

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 08:08 AM

I'm a newbie, and to be honest, it's the tags that keep me interested.

My "official" postcards were sent about 3 days after I got their address, but they are going to Russia, and Germany(where it's known to be slow mail, and on the other side of the world from me)

Oh, and as for not logging into the "official" site, I don't need to. I have no more postcards to send out, I know that my sent ones are still on their way. It doesn't mean that I'm only interested in cheating people. I limit the number of tags and swaps I do, and they are sent promptly. I ask for the address straight away, and usually send the card the next day.

I tag "postcards only". I couldn't afford the postage on the bigger tags, so therefore I stay out of them

Even if I do send out one, and get nothing back, that's life. I'm not going to call anyone a cheat. I think I'd be more peeved if it was a bigger value "tag"
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 07:16 PM

I don't think anyone thinks a newbie is a thief.

I think the problem is that a few people who join postcrossing are all excited and want to participate and send and receive but after a few weeks they lose interest and don't register the cards they get and don't show up on the forum or the official site again.

Several of my expired cards are from people who sent less than 5 cards and registered 1 or 2.

I actually think that rather than restrict newbies on the forum we should encourage them. If they become interested in the activities on the forum maybe they will stay with Postcrossing and not get bored and wander off.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 02:25 PM

I wondered about this issue recently...a user posted a request to swap for certain US cards from a very unusual place. He/she also sent me a U2U message asking to swap. It seemed too good to be true so I looked up the poster's account. Nothing. A search of that unusual country (in Africa) showed just 3 users and one official account had a very similar name to this poster, but no sent/received activity of any kind and no details in the profile. So I sent a message to him/her just asking general questions and received no reply. Meanwhile I watched as many US users replied to the swap offer....my guess is that no of them have ever received anything in return. I would have been more confident if there had been some actual official participation....hopefully the US members who responded to the swap request were wise enough to wait until they had received his/her card before mailing their own....

Go To Top

Imprint