soilian

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: soilian

Mood: No Mood, indeed

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 10:20 AM
Questions & Answers

This topic is for all kind of questions about Postcrossing that bother your mind but you haven't find any answers to them yet. Putting the questions and answers to one place it's easier for newbies (and others) to find them. Feel free to ask anything that's on your mind! Anyone can answer to the questions. You don't have to be a moderator or administrator.

shc

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: shc

Mood: What now?

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 11:36 AM

My card got registered without and email notice :( I've checked spam folder. I'd like to see it, especially it has been travelling for almost one year. Maybe the recipient has something to say. Where did it go?

The recipient seen 12 days ago, while it got registered today. Weird..
He also got many cards that has been traveling for more than 100 days registeren on 10 June :o
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shc  
My card got registered without and email notice :( I've checked spam folder. I'd like to see it, especially it has been travelling for almost one year. Maybe the recipient has something to say. Where did it go? [url]https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/ID-262068
[/url]

17 days before deleting from system :thumbup:
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 11:47 AM

My card got registered without and email notice :( I've checked spam folder. I'd like to see it, especially it has been travelling for almost one year. Maybe the recipient has something to say. Where did it go?

Hi shc — sorry about that. There's no message to show because that postcard was not registered by the recipient. It was manually registered by the Postcrossing team.

Sometimes postcrossers go through difficult situations that force them away, postcards get lost, and often they are no longer able to retrieve them even after the issues that caused the problem have been solved. If this happens, Postcrossing will sometimes register these cards — and if that is the case, there's no message to show.
shc

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: shc

Mood: What now?

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ana  

Hi shc — sorry about that. There's no message to show because that postcard was not registered by the recipient. It was manually registered by the Postcrossing team.

Sometimes postcrossers go through difficult situations that force them away, postcards get lost, and often they are no longer able to retrieve them even after the issues that caused the problem have been solved. If this happens, Postcrossing will sometimes register these cards — and if that is the case, there's no message to show.

I see. Thank you.:thumbup:
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yudi  
I received envelope from UK. The sender stacked 2 stamps and the top stamp was partially cut. Some weeks later I received postcard from this sender. The stamps are stacked again and the top stamp was partially cut again.

Anyone can explain to me what happen. Why did people stacked 2 stamps and partially cut the top one?

I do not know, but I do know in some countries as long as the value of the stamp is showing it is ok to stack them. I do not know why the top one would be cut, though.

Do you suspect the person covered a previous postmark by putting the other stamp on top, and then cut off a previous postmark on the top one and is re-using old stamps, or is it something else?

If you are in touch with this person, I would just ask them in a neutral way, like "Hi, I noticed when you put on stamps and cut off part of the top one. I have never seen that before. Can you tell me why you put the stamps on that way?" Or you could say you like to collect stamps, and could they please not stack or cut them in the future so that you can save them.

If you do get an answer please post it here - I would also be curious to know! ;)
SuperBambi

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: SuperBambi

Mood: Es ist nicht deine Schuld, dass die Welt ist, wie sie ist. Es wär nur deine Schuld, wenn sie so bleibt.

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 01:20 AM

Is there a thread somewhere on here where I could find the meaning of abreviations you guys seem to use, like GF or FOTW? I've looked around, but I can't seem to find one.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 06:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SuperBambi  
Is there a thread somewhere on here where I could find the meaning of abreviations you guys seem to use, like GF or FOTW? I've looked around, but I can't seem to find one.

This list covers most of them.

Edited to add:
It doesn't seem to list all the abbreviations...

GF - Greetings from (Postallove)
FOTW - Flags of the World (Postcardsmarket)
HPC - Happy Postcrossing From (Papersisters)
WT - World Travel (Nisan Design)
ICONS - Icons of Countries (The Postcard House)
WOW - What do you know about (WowCardsShop, on Etsy)

... there may be more, but I forget... ;)
SuperBambi

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: SuperBambi

Mood: Es ist nicht deine Schuld, dass die Welt ist, wie sie ist. Es wär nur deine Schuld, wenn sie so bleibt.

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 11:49 AM

Oh hey, thank you so much!
Caisteal

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Caisteal

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 11:51 AM

So, I sent out my first five postcards, but realised I am slightly clueless about postcrossing etiquette. Do you just write "Greetings from the Netherlands", do you write a full novel about your mutual love for postcards, or somewhere in between? In some cases their bio gave me something to talk about, in other cases I just wrote greetings haha.
floosieQ

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: floosieQ

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Caisteal  
So, I sent out my first five postcards, but realised I am slightly clueless about postcrossing etiquette. Do you just write "Greetings from the Netherlands", do you write a full novel about your mutual love for postcards, or somewhere in between? In some cases their bio gave me something to talk about, in other cases I just wrote greetings haha.

I'm quite new too! I agree it's easier to write something if the bio gives you something to go on. But if it doesn't, I usually write something about the postcard itself and why I chose it.

Or you could follow the monthly writing prompts on the blog. This month it is 'your favourite ice-cream' :)
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 09:18 PM

I prefer writing as much as possible. To me and many others, the message is just as important as the front of the postcard. For me it's a bit disappointing to get a postcard that only says "Hi XXX, greetings from [country]. Bye, YYY".

Edited to add: Sometimes it can be really hard to fill a postcard with text, as the postcard and profile don't give me any ideas. And I simply get a writers block. But I still try to write a longer message, even if that means taking a break from writing.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 03:36 AM

I always fill the whole space with writing. If it is a view card I usually write about the picture shown on the card, or I may comment on what the person wrote in their profile, if we share an interest/hobby. Otherwise I may write about what I'm doing that day, what I'm excited about, or what I'm currently reading. I like it when I receive cards with long messages on them, so I mention it in my profile along with a few suggestions of things senders could write about.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 09:14 AM

Let me chime in here real quick. First, welcome! :) Don't keep it just to a short greeting when you have the space to write more — the goal is for people to communicate and connect.

If the receiver doesn't mention something relevant on the profile and you are out of ideas, there's a bunch of suggestions on this FAQ entry. And, as some already mentioned, the monthly writing prompts can help with that too. But feel free to go with something else entirely — be creative! :)
foxfires

Country Flag:
Scotland

Scotland
Postcrossing Username: foxfires

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 09:59 AM

Also, you don't need to write totally different stuff on each card. There may be a fun fact about yourself or where you live that people will enjoy hearing. For example, I often mention that I live near London and my train into the city arrives at Kings Cross Station, just like the Hogwarts Express. Or is there a cute story about your username or avatar? Mix and match!
FernandoFerreira

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: FernandoFerreira

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 10:53 AM

Yes, I always write some fun facts about my city or about me. Somtimes I write a sentence in my mother language and then translate.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 11:02 AM

And if you need ideas for writing, feel free to use the list of questions I've made:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NqzirqIpr2dqi-tpyKQunSVJsKAniKge...

I link to that list in my profile, hoping that some with a writers block can get inspiration to write at least a few sentences (or even more).
icensnow

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: icensnow

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 09:13 PM

Wow, that's an excellent list! :)
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 07:38 AM

I received postcard from Norway. All is printed. Message is printed, my address is printed, stamp is printed and prioritaire sticker is printed. In the card I can see logo of "postnord". In the printed stamp there is also logo of "postnord". I just googled postnord and Wikipedia said that postnord belongs to Danish and Swedish government. The card is huge, 21 x 15 cm. But I love huge card and I mention this in my profile.

I am just wondering what kind of card is this?
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yudi  
I received postcard from Norway. All is printed. Message is printed, my address is printed, stamp is printed and prioritaire sticker is printed. In the card I can see logo of "postnord". In the printed stamp there is also logo of "postnord". I just googled postnord and Wikipedia said that postnord belongs to Danish and Swedish government. The card is huge, 21 x 15 cm. But I love huge card and I mention this in my profile.

I am just wondering what kind of card is this?

Postnord is available in Norway as well, but Posten is our main, national postal service. Postnord offers a "print a postcard from your own photo"-service that they print and send for you. Is that the kind of card you got? These come in various sizes from A4 down to regular postcard size. (This is the website, if you were wondering. Would explain why everything on the card was printed.)

Edited to add: I just noticed - since the postage increase on July 1, this service from Postnord is actually significantly cheaper than sending a regular postcard! Wow.
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  

Postnord is available in Norway as well, but Posten is our main, national postal service. Postnord offers a "print a postcard from your own photo"-service that they print and send for you. Is that the kind of card you got? These come in various sizes from A4 down to regular postcard size. (This is the website, if you were wondering. Would explain why everything on the card was printed.)

Edited to add: I just noticed - since the postage increase on July 1, this service from Postnord is actually significantly cheaper than sending a regular postcard! Wow.

Thank you. I understand now after reading your explanation and open the website.
The quality of the paper is not bad but I must admit that quality of regular postcard is better :)
However I still love it because the picture is what I expected to received and the sender put long and nice message.

I guess we should expect to receive more from this service when the cost is significantly cheaper.
CaliSmiles

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: RuhRohRaggy

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 03:57 AM

I'm wondering if someone could help me out. I have seen some really great troll themes postcards from Norway. I quite like them and want to add these to my wish list in my profile. Is there a specific name for these cards?
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaliSmiles  
I'm wondering if someone could help me out. I have seen some really great troll themes postcards from Norway. I quite like them and want to add these to my wish list in my profile. Is there a specific name for these cards?

The troll cards with the dark blue «look» or «theme» or whatever are by artist Ivar Rødningen.

The more cutesy troll cards are Swedish but available in Norway and are by artist Rolf Lidberg.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 09:06 AM

The troll cards with the dark blue «look» or «theme» or whatever are by artist Ivar Rødningen.

The more cutesy troll cards are Swedish but available in Norway and are by artist Rolf Lidberg.

The troll illustrations by Rolf Lidberg and Ivar Rødningen are the most common to find here in Norway. But there's other troll postcards available as well. I can't remember the names of those artists. But if you write "Trolls postcards by Rolf Lidberg, Ivar Rødningen and other artists" or just "trolls/troll postcards", you're likely to get them all.

Some examples:

Rolf Lidberg:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-145907
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-135462
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-182183
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-107112
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-87986
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-81325
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-76683
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-74528
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-75593
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-74167

Ivar Rødningen:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-151984
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-128562
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-90089
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-76453
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-61894

Others:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-139791
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-107611
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-117977
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-93999
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-92354
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-87651
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20686
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20329
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20422
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20135
CaliSmiles

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: RuhRohRaggy

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Norway_girl  

The troll illustrations by Rolf Lidberg and Ivar Rødningen are the most common to find here in Norway. But there's other troll postcards available as well. I can't remember the names of those artists. But if you write "Trolls postcards by Rolf Lidberg, Ivar Rødningen and other artists" or just "trolls/troll postcards", you're likely to get them all.

Some examples:

Rolf Lidberg:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-145907
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-135462
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-182183
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-107112
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-87986
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-81325
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-76683
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-74528
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-75593
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-74167

Ivar Rødningen:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-151984
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-128562
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-90089
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-76453
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-61894

Others:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-139791
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-107611
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-117977
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-93999
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-92354
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-87651
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20686
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20329
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20422
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-20135

Thank you so much! I see that it was the trolls by Ivar Rødningen that I was searching for. :)
 Pages:  1    3  ..  16

Go To Top

Imprint