Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Questions & Answers
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 20-8-2019 at 08:36 AM

When you hover your mouse pointer of the numbers of sent or received cards on the home page or in your profile, the distance appears. If you want to know the total number of both your sent and your received postcards, I guess the only way is to add the two numbers together.

I actually don't know how you can find out on a mobile phone or tablet, where you can't hover over the numbers ...

mpn.jpg - 12kB
dianaf

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: dianaf

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 20-8-2019 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuartH  
Quote: Originally posted by dianaf  
Quote: Originally posted by StuartH  
Quick question if I may please.

We all know how to find out when our travelling cards have expired, but is there a way to find out whether we have cards coming to us that have expired? I wouldn't want to know country, user name etc, just a number (if there are any).

Nope. Well, I suppose moderators can see it as I have heard that if too many cards to you expire they can/will send you a PB about it.
But why would you like to know?

No reason other than curiosity...

Ah... well maybe you had another reason for asking, like a problem with receiving things. :P
dianaf

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 20-8-2019 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
When you hover your mouse pointer of the numbers of sent or received cards on the home page or in your profile, the distance appears. If you want to know the total number of both your sent and your received postcards, I guess the only way is to add the two numbers together.

I actually don't know how you can find out on a mobile phone or tablet, where you can't hover over the numbers ...

In your monthly stats you can see your rank by distance, but it is only a number... not the actual km.
marco6691

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: marco6691

[*] posted on 20-8-2019 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  

:thumbup: thanks
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 25-8-2019 at 02:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
The more stamps and writing on a postcard, the better, in my opinion! Sometimes, I receive an official postcard in an envelope with some extra unwritten postcards. I appreciate the generosity of the sender, but then what? I'm not a collector of unwritten postcards, and I don't want to feel obligated to send some of my own unwritten postcards back to the sender. If I write on these postcards and send them as officials to other Postcrossers, would that be "bad form?" Sometimes the postcards depict a country other than the USA, and sending them as officials from my own country is not a welcome practice on Postcrossing. ???

you can always use them as a bookmark or give to kids for crafts or send it to a friend who is not a member of postcrossing but still enjoys a surprise in their mailbox or you can pass them along to another member. I sometimes send non-US cards if it fits someone's wishlist (elephants for example)....
dianaf

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 09:11 AM

The more stamps and writing on a postcard, the better, in my opinion! Sometimes, I receive an official postcard in an envelope with some extra unwritten postcards. I appreciate the generosity of the sender, but then what? I'm not a collector of unwritten postcards, and I don't want to feel obligated to send some of my own unwritten postcards back to the sender. If I write on these postcards and send them as officials to other Postcrossers, would that be "bad form?" Sometimes the postcards depict a country other than the USA, and sending them as officials from my own country is not a welcome practice on Postcrossing. ???

If the cards fit the requests of a member, I should sent them on. You can always sent them to an friend/family member if you think you can't rid of it.
awef

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: AWEF

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 02:27 AM

Hi! I’ve got a couple of questions that I couldn’t find the answer to...
1) Is there a distance minimum for sending cards? Could I draw an address for the next town over (I haven’t)?
2) Is it possible to draw the address of someone who previously sent you a card? Or vice versa???

Thanks! :)
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa
Member Is Online

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 04:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by awef  
1) Is there a distance minimum for sending cards? Could I draw an address for the next town over (I haven’t)?
2) Is it possible to draw the address of someone who previously sent you a card? Or vice versa???

1) I am sure there is a minimum but I also can't find the information so I can't tell you more (and I might even be wrong but somehow I am sure I've seen this information somewhere). I drew an address and sent a postcard to someone 54 km away from me and I was very surprised.

2) No, you interact with someone only once. If you sent to someone, they will never send to you. If someone sent to you, you'll never get their address. Well, some people have multiple accounts so that can happen in this way - the interaction is per account, not per name/address. But if you keep to the rules, no. This should be in the FAQs somewhere but I also can't find it right now -_-
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  

1) I am sure there is a minimum but I also can't find the information so I can't tell you more (and I might even be wrong but somehow I am sure I've seen this information somewhere). I drew an address and sent a postcard to someone 54 km away from me and I was very surprised.

2) No, you interact with someone only once. If you sent to someone, they will never send to you. If someone sent to you, you'll never get their address. Well, some people have multiple accounts so that can happen in this way - the interaction is per account, not per name/address. But if you keep to the rules, no. This should be in the FAQs somewhere but I also can't find it right now -_-

@1 afaik, system does not provide an adress from your hometown. I checked a superuser's profile - his closest was 11 km, so I guess home region is possible.

ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevyy  
Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  

It can also happen that more than one Postcrosser lives at the same address -- multiple members of a family, or roomates. In this case everyone is following the rules properly, but you still may send and received cards from the same address. I have sent 2500 cards and I think this has only happened to me once or twice.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 12:01 AM

1) From what I understand, there is no minimum distance, but you won't receive or send to someone who selected the same city/town as you on their profile.

2) There are only two situations where this might happen. One is if they (or you) have multiple accounts, as multiple accounts are treated as separate users by the system. The other is if a card expires and then is deleted from the system after travelling for 365 days -- then you could send to/receive from that same person again.
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  

The other is if a card expires and then is deleted from the system after travelling for 365 days -- then you could send to/receive from that same person again.

Oh, I didn't know this! :duh:
awef

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: AWEF

[*] posted on 15-9-2019 at 03:06 AM

Thanks elikoa, Courtney, stevyy, and Maggie! I now have a clearer idea of how it all works. 11 kilometers is quite close—my nearest (so far) is 45 miles. The little Postcrossing club I belong to all use the same address. I wonder if people think it’s multiple accounts???:puzzled: On a few occasions 2 different club members have drawn the same person within seconds of each other! :D It’s always interesting to then see which arrives first.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 15-9-2019 at 05:39 AM

Thanks elikoa, Courtney, stevyy, and Maggie! I now have a clearer idea of how it all works. 11 kilometers is quite close—my nearest (so far) is 45 miles. The little Postcrossing club I belong to all use the same address. I wonder if people think it’s multiple accounts???:puzzled: On a few occasions 2 different club members have drawn the same person within seconds of each other! :D It’s always interesting to then see which arrives first.

If the accounts are clearly for different people (different name, different profile text, different wishes) then it's very unlikely to be mistaken for multiple accounts. There are plenty of families or housemates who have multiple postcrossers living at the same house.
ichabodhides

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: ichabodhides

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 10:40 AM

I've started seeing pictures of postcards from a series called '150 years of postcards', like this: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=125666

Does anyone know where these can be purchased? Someone mentioned that a British Postcrosser, Terry Hall, has a local source for them for the UK version and I was advised to try and contact them but I have no idea how...
StuartH

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: StuartH

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ichabodhides  
I've started seeing pictures of postcards from a series called '150 years of postcards', like this: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=125666

Does anyone know where these can be purchased? Someone mentioned that a British Postcrosser, Terry Hall, has a local source for them for the UK version and I was advised to try and contact them but I have no idea how...

Send me a U2U
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 02:05 PM

I have seen this link
https://houseofpostcards.pl/en_US/c/150-years-of-postcards/189?fbcli...

But I can't see the UK there...
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Justify  
I want to make an order for this service the free essays for student. What do you think about it? I think this method is maybe useful.

Depends on how you're planning to use the information on this site. As a former professor of English composition and rhetoric, I'm guessing that this site would be a quick way to get an "F" on your essay for plagiarism.

:thumbup:
My opinion: Do your own work. Otherwise, how will you learn if you just cheat by copying others?
dianaf

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 07:15 AM

Depends on how you're planning to use the information on this site. As a former professor of English composition and rhetoric, I'm guessing that this site would be a quick way to get an "F" on your essay for plagiarism.

It depends on how you use it, I guess. Copying things isn't smart, but sometimes it helps to read other essays/thesises/articles to get an idee on how to approach writing/setting up one of your own.

My school didn't really give help or directions in that area. So when I had to write my thesis I read some of others, their subject and mine had nothing in common, but it gave me an idee of how to structure it. What works and what doesn't when it comes to lay-out. Things like that.

EDIT: edited out the spam content.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 07:39 AM

I want to make an order for this service the free essays for student. What do you think about it? I think this method is maybe useful.

A quick heads up on this: that post was by a spammer account created with single intent of leading visits to that website — it was not an actual request for feedback. The account was banned shortly after and the original post removed.
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 18-10-2019 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  

A quick heads up on this: that post was by a spammer account created with single intent of leading visits to that website — it was not an actual request for feedback. The account was banned shortly after and the original post removed.

I was wondering what that had to do with Postcrossing... :duh:
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 02:25 AM

I just drew an address of a newbie with 1 sent 0 received, last seen 13 days ago. I am afraid she just left PC and will not register my card if I send her one :D

What do you think? :D
aerobear

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: aerobear

Mood: I like surprises!

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 03:47 AM

I think you should send a card and not worry. There is no way to know what goes on in another Postcrosser’s life. She might be on holiday, or ill, or only logs in infrequently.

I have sent cards to people I was pretty sure would not register them, but they did. And I have sent cards to people who I was sure would receive them quickly and register them, but no.

Send a card and fulfill your commitment. It’s all part of life’s rich pageant, you know. :)

Quote: Originally posted by yudi  
I just drew an address of a newbie with 1 sent 0 received, last seen 13 days ago. I am afraid she just left PC and will not register my card if I send her one :D

KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 04:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yudi  

Actual real-life personal experience here: My husband joined Postcrossing 16 days ago (Oct 9), sent one card and hasn't logged in since. He's waiting for his due card to arrive before he logs in again.

Send the card and expect it to be registered. :)
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 10:21 AM

You really don't know - it's 50-50. Sometimes those people don't come back, sometimes they are just waiting to receive something and they will become regular postcrossers. It would be more worrying if the person had sent a lot and not registered anything. But even then, no way of knowing.

Also in theory you are breaking the rules by not sending...

Quote: Originally posted by aerobear  

I have sent cards to people I was pretty sure would not register them, but they did. And I have sent cards to people who I was sure would receive them quickly and register them, but no.

Exactly!

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

Imprint