Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Venia

Mood: Feuer im Herzen. :)

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 05:38 PM
"Hello" list

Hello, Salut, Sveiki, Hallo....

... I really like all those nice "hello"s in my profile next to my name. And I also like to know the language of these "hello"-messages. I can see the language, when my cursor gets over the "hello" but sometimes I don't really know the language, e.g. "mhoro" is hello in "Shona" - but where do people speak "shona".

So my suggestion is a "Hello"-List with "Hello" in all languages used in postcrossing and also with a small information about those languages.

Who is in for it too?
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:18 AM

Oh, cool idea!
KrumMKD

Country Flag:
Macedonia

Macedonia
Postcrossing Username: KrumMKD

Mood: Postcrossing! (pedal to the metal)

[*] posted on 14-12-2018 at 08:46 PM

Can we add a few more languages on that list? I keep seeing the same and same words and languages in that "Hello -random language-" section. Is it possible for us to see all the words? Maybe add a few?
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 15-12-2018 at 05:08 PM

I know the team is open for more 'hellos' from experience - they added Servus (popular in Austria) when I had suggested a few years ago.

So if you bring some hellos, I am sure it's welcome and probably implemented.

But, as I surf the mainpage a lot and switch between the various topics, I also see a lot of hellos already ... from NZ to BR and many languages in between ...

paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 17-12-2018 at 01:11 PM

We can always add more "Hellos" to the list, as long it is in a recognised language (eg: not a slang expression, etc). Just send them our way.

As for more information about the languages, we don't really have it; at the moment all we have is just a long list of pairs (language name, translation of "hello") and no further info. What other info would be interesting to know? Where each language is spoken and what else?
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney
Member Is Online

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 17-12-2018 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  
We can always add more "Hellos" to the list, as long it is in a recognised language (eg: not a slang expression, etc). Just send them our way.

As for more information about the languages, we don't really have it; at the moment all we have is just a long list of pairs (language name, translation of "hello") and no further info. What other info would be interesting to know? Where each language is spoken and what else?

"Where each language is spoken" or even "where each language is an official language" could be misleading. For example, the United States as a whole does not technically have an official language, even though English is the de facto official language. Some states also techincally have no official language. I lived in a state where official documents were also translated into Spanish. In other states, more languages are officially recognized; in still others English is the only recognized official language and documents are not translated. So is Spanish "spoken in the US" by Postcrossing standards, or not? Is English?

Rather than opening worm-cans, I think just leaving it the way Postcrossing has it for a "Hello" list is fine.
KrumMKD

Country Flag:
Macedonia

Macedonia
Postcrossing Username: KrumMKD

Mood: Postcrossing! (pedal to the metal)

[*] posted on 17-6-2019 at 07:31 PM

Finally it happened! :thumbup:

Go To Top

Imprint