Author: Subject: More stats wanted
graceanna

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: graceanna

smile.gif posted on 20-11-2013 at 07:59 AM
More stats wanted

Would like to see additional stats for median and average travel times per country. Currently travel time stats is only for all postcards. If we could see median and average travel times for a specific country we would know what to expect for certain countries where their postal system may be slower.

For example, I have a sent card to Belarus that is over 23 days but I don't know if that is to be expected for their postal system or if the card may have gotten lost.

It would be nice to know what to expect.
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 08:20 AM

You can get the medians by clicking on the button on the top of your stats page. It is shown for each country separately. You can even be fairly precise about the date range.
graceanna

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 21-11-2013 at 03:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  
You can get the medians by clicking on the button on the top of your stats page. It is shown for each country separately. You can even be fairly precise about the date range.

You've misunderstood what I'm asking. I can't get stats for something still in transit.

What I want are stats for each country's median and average travel time for all postcards sent or received to/from that specific country.

For example, if such additional stats are available, and they say that median travel time to UK is 10 days and I pull a UK address, then when I send that postcard to UK I should not be surprised for it to take about 10 days to be received. The new stat also tells us that UK receives postcards faster than the entire aggregate of 14 days for all countries. The aggregate stat is already provided on the postcrossing site. The 10 days to UK is a number I made up to illustrate what I'm asking for.

I think these additional stats will be helpful to know what to expect especially for countries with slower transit times.
graceanna

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 21-11-2013 at 06:08 AM
duplicate removed

grizzabella

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: grizzabella

[*] posted on 21-11-2013 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by graceanna  

What I want are stats for each country's median and average travel time for all postcards sent or received to/from that specific country.

Hm... where do you wanna see these stats? On this site http://www.postcrossing.com/explore/countries ? Then it doesn't make sense because the travel time differs from country to country. For your example, from USA to UK it may be 10 days but from Germany to UK maybe only 7 days.

Or do you wanna see this on your personal stats site?

And I think, the median travel time would not be really different from the average travel time. So I think, the average travel time is a good indicator how long a card may take to a certain country. If I wanna know the travel time to a certain country I have a look into the stats of the most active postcrossers in my country.
graceanna

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 05:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzabella  

Hm... where do you wanna see these stats? On this site http://www.postcrossing.com/explore/countries ?

I think it makes most sense to have it as an additional item under Stats. Full path then is Explore --> Statistics --> Travel Times

Then it doesn't make sense because the travel time differs from country to country. For your example, from USA to UK it may be 10 days but from Germany to UK maybe only 7 days.

Of course the travel times differ depending on the origin and destination. So there would be two pulldown menus, one for origin and one for destination. I can select Origin: USA, Destination: UK while you would select Origin: Germany, Destination: UK. My result is 10 days while you see result 7 days.

Whether it's travel time for sent or received doesn't really matter.

And I think, the median travel time would not be really different from the average travel time.

Median travel time is more reliable as the majority clusters around that point while a few bad apples (unreliable postcrossers) will lengthen average travel time.

If I wanna know the travel time to a certain country I have a look into the stats of the most active postcrossers in my country.

Most active postcrossers are likely a minority so it would be unrealistic to expect the same results.

The whole point of asking to add travel time stats is having some idea what to expect when pulling an address for a particular country...
spockulent

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Spockulent

Mood: Mood: Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 02:12 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Princess-Jo

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: J-Francis

Mood: Receiving beautiful postcards

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 07:29 PM

UK to Germany is about two or three days
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell Zac

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Princess-Jo  
UK to Germany is about two or three days

If you look at the top senders from UK and their stats for sending to Germany the average time is 6 to 7 days

Go To Top

Imprint