paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

eureka.gif posted on 8-2-2014 at 03:12 PM
Feedback wanted: sent/received postcards pages

I would like to ask everyone for some brainstorming about two of the most used pages: the sent and received postcard pages.

They were designed long ago, even before we had any member reaching 1000 postcards and their age starts to show: those pages now take a long time to load, specially for members with several thousand exchanged postcards. Also, they consume a lot of resources in the servers to generate them as they weren't designed for so many thousands of postcards being listed at once.

To fix these issues, I'll have to update quite a bit of that code so this might be a good opportunity to address other issues with those two pages, hence this request. I would like to have input from all of you namely in two fronts:

1) existing problems that you would like to see fixed in those pages and
2) things you would like to have in those pages that you currently miss.

We already have some ideas, but would like to hear from you as well! We can't promise to implement everything suggested, but we'll do our best to consider the most requested features if technically feasible for us.

So, let us know what are the problems you might have currently with them and things you would like to have in them as well. Looking forward for your ideas! :)
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 12:31 AM

I would like to be able to sort them into countries. Also maybe the expired cards could be on a different page.
Thanks Paulo, you do an awesome job :)
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SuzyDoozy  
I would like to be able to sort them into countries.

You already can do that, Suzy - just click on the title of the column.
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:26 PM

I meant like the postcard wall though, so you can only see the cards from a particular country.
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 08:23 AM

Ah yes, that would be useful.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 11:48 AM

1) We can already sort the postcards after various parameters (country, days travelled etc), but it would be useful to be able to sort them after ID as well.

2) When sorting the postcards according to country, the postcards sent to/received from the same country are listed in a totally random order. It would be nice if these was automatically sorted after ID then.
For example, when I sort my postcards according to country, my postcards sent to India shows up in this order:
NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)

I'd like to se them in this order:
NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)

3) The sent list does only show sent date and travelling days, and the received list does only show received date and travelling days. I'd like to see that both lists contained both sent date and received date, in addition to the days travelled.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Norway_girl  
1) We can already sort the postcards after various parameters (country, days travelled etc), but it would be useful to be able to sort them after ID as well.

I very much agree!

2) When sorting the postcards according to country, the postcards sent to/received from the same country are listed in a totally random order. It would be nice if these was automatically sorted after ID then.
For example, when I sort my postcards according to country, my postcards sent to India shows up in this order:
NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)

NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)

Mine are sorted chronologically. I just checked again, and if the first thing I do is click on the country column, I get a neat list in the order of the date received (I happened to test this on my received cards). They are even sorted by ID if I received two from the same country on the same day. It's weird that it doesn't do that for you. Maybe we're doing something different?

Edit: I tried again with my sent cards, and it's the same as with yours - they seem to be sorted by received date as well, only the received date isn't displayed so it seems arbitrary.

My sent cards to Argentina look like this:

DE-1518485 - 14/Aug/2012 - 27 days
DE-1547043 - 29/Aug/2012 - 9 days
DE-1264285 - 25/Feb/2012 - 14 days
DE-1177785 - 27/Dec/2011 - 14 days
DE-902607 - 27/Apr/2011 - 15 days

DE-1518485, while sent earlier, was registered later than DE-1547043 (10/Sep > 7/Sep), so in a way my list is sorted chronologically. Only like I said, without the received date, it's not easy to see, the travel time only gives a little hint.

3) The sent list does only show sent date and travelling days, and the received list does only show received date and travelling days. I'd like to see that both lists contained both sent date and received date, in addition to the days travelled.

I totally agree here too! (See above for extra reason.)

And I do notice that it takes a long time for my lists to load, seeing as I'm one of the members with several thousand sent/received cards. Maybe the lists could only show the current year as a default (or the last 12 months or something like that), and to see the complete list would take another click ("show complete list", something like that). Only I wouldn't like it to be like the list of exchanged cards you can display for every member, because that is always separated by year. I think the sent/received lists should be viewable as one big block so you can effectively sort by certain parameters.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)

NO-6800 (5/Nov/2007)
NO-31363 (3/Apr/2010)
NO-75592 (23/Apr/2013)
NO-81308 (6/Sep/2013)

Mine are sorted chronologically. I just checked again, and if the first thing I do is click on the country column, I get a neat list in the order of the date received (I happened to test this on my received cards). They are even sorted by ID if I received two from the same country on the same day. It's weird that it doesn't do that for you. Maybe we're doing something different?

Edit: I tried again with my sent cards, and it's the same as with yours - they seem to be sorted by received date as well, only the received date isn't displayed so it seems arbitrary.

It's strange that you see the postcards in cronological order! I just click on "from/to country" to sort the cards. The postcards to/from the same country are not sorted after any obvious parameter at all, not received date, nor any of the other parameters that are shown. Just in total random order!
By the way; In my list in the previous post, the dates in the braclets shows the sent date for the mentioned postcards.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 04:37 PM

My received and sent cards by country are listed in chronological order too.
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer

Mood: Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 05:08 PM

Mine are in disorder just like Norwaygirl's...

both sent and received cards...

EDIT: In disorder with IE and Chrome. In order with Firefox.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nordbaer  
Mine are in disorder just like Norwaygirl's...

both sent and received cards...

EDIT: In disorder with IE and Chrome. In order with Firefox.

I should mention that I use IE.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:39 PM

weird, because I use IE too
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer

Mood: Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:51 PM

with Opera it's also in disorder...
siobhan

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 08:45 PM

I use Firefox. :)
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:16 AM

Regarding sorting: one issue with applying a secondary sort order is that it goes into muddy waters.

An example: say, you click on order by country name (ascending). What is the *right* column to apply a secondary sort? Perhaps we can agree here on a received date (for received postcards), but I can see someone disagreeing and saying it should be the Postcard ID or something else. Or the opposite: if you click the received date column as your (main) sort order, what is the obvious secondary sort order? Country name? Postcard ID? Username?

But that's not all: now imagine, for example, that you order by country name, but in descending order. What secondary order is the correct one to have (let's assume the received date for now): ascending or descending? I can see arguments for both. So, it gets a bit tricky as there's no "right" way to do it.

That said, it surely is better to have some order instead of random. If we can all agree with having received date (which is the default order) as the expected "secondary order" then it shouldn't be too hard to turn it into a stable sorting. Will be on the list of things to look into :).
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:36 AM

Regarding showing both sent and received dates: space! It's already hard to fit everything as is, so we can't fit a new column.

I'm considering having the possibility to click (or hover) on each row to expand/show more details.

Another alternative would be to have "show/hide extended details" control at the top which would do the same but all. This one can be slow when having thousands of postcards, so I think the one above (click/hover in each row to see details) might be better. Thoughts?

And what else would be relevant to show that is missing? Both sent/received dates, but anything else?
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  
An example: say, you click on order by country name (ascending). What is the *right* column to apply a secondary sort? Perhaps we can agree here on a received date (for received postcards), but I can see someone disagreeing and saying it should be the Postcard ID or something else.

I'd say postcard ID or received date, it's hard to decide on which I'd prefer. Either option will be better than the current mess anyway :)

Or the opposite: if you click the received date column as your (main) sort order, what is the obvious secondary sort order? Country name? Postcard ID? Username?

Here I'd prefer postcard ID.

But that's not all: now imagine, for example, that you order by country name, but in descending order. What secondary order is the correct one to have (let's assume the received date for now): ascending or descending? I can see arguments for both. So, it gets a bit tricky as there's no "right" way to do it.

Both asending and descending would be fine with me. After all, I'm used to a total mess.

I'm considering having the possibility to click (or hover) on each row to expand/show more details.

Another alternative would be to have "show/hide extended details" control at the top which would do the same but all. This one can be slow when having thousands of postcards, so I think the one above (click/hover in each row to see details) might be better. Thoughts?

I think I rather prefer the first of those two options.
siobhan

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:31 PM

Regarding showing both sent and received dates: space! It's already hard to fit everything as is, so we can't fit a new column.

And what else would be relevant to show that is missing? Both sent/received dates, but anything else?

If you could display the hidden details for every row, would that mean you could never display them for the entire list? So that you couldn't sort your list by that criterion? Or did I misunderstand you? I think I'd prefer the second option in that case (in any case, probably), even if it takes longer to load.

I'd rather have the send AND received dates displayed as default and have the distance hidden - personally I don't find that number quite as interesting and hardly ever felt like sorting my list according to distance travelled, although I did when I was new. Now I don't really ever notice it, but of course I might be the exception.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 04:30 PM

Would it be possible to remove days traveled, so that we can get both sent and received date instead?
Although I find it interesting to sort my lists after days travelled sometimes, I think it would be more interesting to see both sent and received date in the list, than sent+traveling or received+traveling.
kulkunen

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: tempspacient

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 07:04 PM

Thanks Paulo for asking for suggestions!
To make the pageload faster, would it do to have something like show the top 50 only or so? The way that the Wall shows just 60 cards at a time?
Or you could list a few "summaries" such as:
* Travelling cards (8)
* Cards that arrived (28)
* Cards that have expired (0)
* Cards that arrived in 2014 (12), 2013 (15), 2012...
* Cards that were sent in 2014 (9), 2013 (18), ...
* Cards sent to Argentina (1), Australia (2), Germany (15), Finland (1), Russia (18), ...
And then you can click on these links and there will be a small list showing just those cards.
Or click on "all cards" and see all cards the way it is now.

Another fun idea to have would be to show one card at random and put a few clickable things on it, such as: date sent < >, date arrived < >, Country, Distance < >, Travel time < >. Then when you click on one of these you can see another random card (or all cards) that fit the criterion. E.g., clicking on Date sent brings up another card sent on that date, and the < > arrows bring up the next earlier/later card. Clicking on Country brings up cards to the same country, clicking on Distance brings card with similar distance (and < > to bring a random card with shorter or longer distance) etc. Could be a fun way to browse.

Another suggestion could be to index cards by the "Description" texts as if the descriptions were keywords. Then you could "navigate" around cards by that, as well, e.g. if the description reads "Sunniest city in Finland" and you click on Sunniest, you get other cards that are described with that word or theme.
kulkunen

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: tempspacient

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 07:41 PM

if you click the received date column as your (main) sort order, what is the obvious secondary sort order?

I think the secondary sort should be the previously selected sort. E.g. if I sort first by Travel time descending, and then decide to sort by Country A-Z, then the cards should be listed in the order of country, and within that by Travel time descending.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 03:07 PM

I think showing only the last 50 cards on the page is a good idea. Then we could have a drop-down menu at the top where you could click to display cards by countries, or by year, or all of them. So it would still be possible to show all of them, but only if you select that option at the top. The default view would always be only the last 50 cards (or another number).
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
I think showing only the last 50 cards on the page is a good idea. Then we could have a drop-down menu at the top where you could click to display cards by countries, or by year, or all of them. So it would still be possible to show all of them, but only if you select that option at the top. The default view would always be only the last 50 cards (or another number).

At least 100 on the first page I would think. I can have 49 travelling as it is, which would fill up a first page of sent cards, and I'm nowhere near the level of some other people.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 05:44 PM

What is we were able to choose which parameters we could see in the list ourselves? Like we can on our stats. One day I might like to see ID, country and days travelled, so I choose those three parameters. Next time, I'd like to see ID, sent date and received date, so I remove country and travelling days, and select sent and received date instead.
siobhan

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  
Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  

At least 100 on the first page I would think. I can have 49 travelling as it is, which would fill up a first page of sent cards, and I'm nowhere near the level of some other people.

I agree that 50 seems too low a number. I can have 81 cards travelling, and while I've never filled up all my slots, I sometimes do have more than 50 cards travelling. It would be good to be able to see all travelling cards right away.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

Imprint