lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  

I agree that 50 seems too low a number. I can have 81 cards travelling, and while I've never filled up all my slots, I sometimes do have more than 50 cards travelling. It would be good to be able to see all travelling cards right away.

yeah, that should be more options for the drop down menu: received, travelling or expired
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 06:01 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and brainstorm so far - it does help understanding what things can be useful.

A question for you: currently the traveling postcards appear on the 'sent postcards' page. Technically they were 'sent', but they could also be on a separate section of its own where only traveling postcards would appear. That way, the sent postcards page would only have those who have been sent (and arrived). I'm not saying this would be a good idea, just throwing it out there to see what do you guys think of it?
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer

Mood: Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 06:25 PM

good idea, I think, especially for users with some more sent postcards like me.
On the other hand - the travelling postcards can also be seen with the print-feature. Disadvantage is that I cannot click on the usernames and go to their profile when using this feature.
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  
Thank you all for the feedback and brainstorm so far - it does help understanding what things can be useful.

A question for you: currently the traveling postcards appear on the 'sent postcards' page. Technically they were 'sent', but they could also be on a separate section of its own where only traveling postcards would appear. That way, the sent postcards page would only have those who have been sent (and arrived). I'm not saying this would be a good idea, just throwing it out there to see what do you guys think of it?

Yes I like this idea.
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nordbaer  
Disadvantage is that I cannot click on the usernames and go to their profile when using this feature.

Can't you? I can....
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SuzyDoozy  

Yes I like this idea.

:thumbup: agreed but will that make much difference in loading times?
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 08:18 PM

I like this idea to only have the arrived postcards in the sent list.
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

Mood: Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  
Disadvantage is that I cannot click on the usernames and go to their profile when using this feature.

Can't you? I can....

not when you use the http://www.postcrossing.com/print feature...
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 16-2-2014 at 08:33 AM

not when you use the http://www.postcrossing.com/print feature...

Ah... I haven't used that.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  
Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
I think showing only the last 50 cards on the page is a good idea. Then we could have a drop-down menu at the top where you could click to display cards by countries, or by year, or all of them. So it would still be possible to show all of them, but only if you select that option at the top. The default view would always be only the last 50 cards (or another number).

At least 100 on the first page I would think. I can have 49 travelling as it is, which would fill up a first page of sent cards, and I'm nowhere near the level of some other people.

I agree that 50 seems too low a number. I can have 81 cards travelling, and while I've never filled up all my slots, I sometimes do have more than 50 cards travelling. It would be good to be able to see all travelling cards right away.

Another idea for the default would be to show only the cards for the current year.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 04:32 PM

Another idea for the default would be to show only the cards for the current year.

That could be pretty unhelpful around the turn of the year, when you've got cards travelling that you sent in December and January, and the default only shows you those sent in January.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 04:38 PM

That could be pretty unhelpful around the turn of the year, when you've got cards travelling that you sent in December and January, and the default only shows you those sent in January.

Agreed. But I was thinking more about received cards and sent cards that are already registered.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 11:53 AM

I finally had the time to work on this and creating a prototype version based on the feedback. I would like you to take a look at the current version to see if it is heading in the right direction.

To see it, go to your profile page and append "/sent" to the URL so that it becomes (for example): /user/paulo/sent

This is still work in progress! There are bugs and missing functionality - that's not the main thing right now. What I need now is to understand if the features that I'm working on are going towards what you guys need before I go over the little details and optimizations.

So, what's different? Here are the main things I tried to address:

• Sorting. That seems to be a big issue, so now you can sort by whatever you want. If you wish to sort by more than 1 parameter, just hold the shift key when clicking the column headers and you'll get any order you can think of.

• Filtering. You can search by pretty much any information present on the table. Username, country name, Postcard ID, even dates. Just type any text and it will show the postcards that match it.

• Pagination. If you have hundreds or thousands of postcards, this will be handy to go through all the postcards (also applies when filtering). It's also possible to choose the number of results to display per page.

• Include both sent and received dates. Travel days is still available, but not shown by default at the moment. There isn't enough space to show all columns at once, so only some can appear by default.

• Hide/show columns. Not everyone is interested in the same data so you can pick whichever works best for you.

• Separating sent postcards from traveling ones. This page only shows the ones that were already registered. Other pages (received, traveling) will be done later.

• There are other optimizations regarding speed but it goes too technical to mention here and there are still many things to optimize on that end. However, this page should open faster than the regular one if your account has several thousand postcards - specially on the next time you open this page (as many things will be cached then).

Again, this is still work in progress and you'll bump into bugs. For instance, the button to see the image doesn't work as expected yet - we'll get there.

What I need now? Mostly, feedback about the type of features that I added and if there's something important that is still missing. We can't possibly implement everything, but do leave a comment and we'll see what's possible.

Thank you all!
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 12:06 PM

Wonderful! I am very impressed. I love being able to search, display as many lines as I like, and it seems so fast too.
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 12:37 PM

When I enter "http://www.postcrossing.com/user/Nordbaer/sent" I get the head lines "ID... to... from..." but not a single sent card.
(IE 8, a bit old)
Sofa
Unregistered

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 02:58 PM

When I sort all for ID there's the problem that the DE-9999XX (6 digits) cards are last while the DE-100XXXX (7 digits) are last
Seems that the ID is sorted as text
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 03:46 PM

back home, now all works fine with Firefox and Chrome, IE 11 is slow with that much cards of mine and Klaus...
same sorting problem here with the ID...
But you cannot sort only the number - we have members who changed country during their postcrossing career...
that's a bit of a problem...

Anyway: great ideas have been realized, muito obrigado, Paulo!
:)
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 09:50 AM

@nordbaer: I have made some updates to the code to make it play better with older IE versions. I've tested with IE8 and it seems to work.

When you use IE11 and you say it's slow, is that only when all postcards are being displayed on the page, or even when it is only showing a few per page?

@Sofa: The issue with sorting by Postcard ID is that both regular numeric and alphabetic orders don't do what what we want: can't be numeric since we have a country code letters in those also need to be sorted (alphabetically). That's one of the reasons that the current sent/received pages do not do sorting by Postcard ID.

The type of sorting to be expected here is called 'natural sorting' which is something simple for humans to do, but tricky for computers and slower than regular sorting methods.

I managed to add this 'natural sorting' order to the Postcard ID column, but this is on a trial basis: depending on how slow things get, we might have to simply disable sorting by Postcard ID (just as it is now on the current sent/received pages).

So my questions to you all:

* Does the sorting feel slow?
* Is there something important (functionality wise) missing?

Thanks!
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 10:29 AM

The sorting doesn't feel slow to me at all, even when I have all postcards displayed (which is over 3,000). It's not instant, but it's a huge improvement to before. And I love sorting by ID so much I wouldn't even mind it being slow, as long as it's there. :)

Maybe this is just because it's a work in progress, in which case ignore it, but I thought I should mention it: When I add a column and then later hide it (or another one), the list stays wider, even if there are only two or three columns on display now. The lines go over the light background, which is totally fine for an extended list, but a little weird for one that isn't any more. I don't know how best to explain it, so I've added a screeshot. You can see that the "Img" header and the little image boxes aren't aligned either.

sent.png - 23kB
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 11:56 AM

IE8: impossible with my amount of cards, but work now on an older account with only 200 cards

and yes, the more the cards the slower the sort... :D
but that's natural...
Sofa
Unregistered

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 02:13 PM

Now the ID sorting looks good! :D
It takes a moment to load when I go to that page but once the cards are loaded sorting goes superfast even when I set it to "Show all" (2000 cards) - and sorting for two variables with the shift key as well
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 02:22 PM

yep!
:)
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 02:29 PM

ok - sorting with more than 10.000 cards and IE8 - forget it... :D
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 09:48 AM

@siobhan: Yes, I'm aware there are several issues with the width of the table - I still have to find solutions for those.

@nordbaer: IE8 is slow with such much data no matter what I do... I'm able to make the features work on IE8, but I can't help much regarding the speed on that browser version.
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 10:19 AM

no need to do that, here at home the new feature works fine... :)
will it be the same for the received cards?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

Imprint