Author: Subject: sent date
jacqueline

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: Tufta

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 06:32 PM
sent date

Should it be rather put by a person sending postcards himself/herself? It is not always the same date when you draw the address
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell Zac

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 01:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jacqueline  
Should it be rather put by a person sending postcards himself/herself? It is not always the same date when you draw the address

The only definite dates that Postcrossing can be absolutely sure of are the date a member requests an address and the date a member registers a received postcard.

Many members post the same day, many members post weeks and even months later.

Should the member who posts weeks/months later have the same travelling times as the member who posts straight away? No.

The travelling times after a while become averages as more postcards are sent/received and the one or two extra days on one individual postcard doesn't make any difference.

Postcrossing hopes all members post their postcard within a couple of days of getting an address but the reality is that many don't.
Princess-Jo

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: J-Francis

Mood: Receiving beautiful postcards

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 07:31 PM

I asked for address`s on Sunday and posted the cards the next day.
elicat

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

Mood: The best way to cheer yourself up, is to try to cheer somebody else up (Mark Twain)

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 04:48 AM

I was actually thinking about this idea. Sometimes I request a batch of addresses at the same time (say 10), but then it turns out I don't have time to write them all. And then I don't send them out until a week later.

When cards have been traveling for a longer time, I really don't remember which cards I've sent out on the day itself, the following day or days/weeks later... It makes it hard to approach people to ask if they've received my card - because it could very well be traveling for a lesser amount of days...

I think it would be beneficial to have at least the option to change the sending date. For instance, you can have the standardized date of requesting the address. And you can have the option to either change that date (it becomes the sending date) or add a date on which you've sent out the card.
Bokkie_B_Goat

Country Flag:
Nepal

Nepal
Postcrossing Username: Bokkie_B_Goat

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:47 PM
Draw -> Send -> Receive.

PostCrossing knows when the address is drawn.
They do not know when the card actually starts travelling. YET they claim they know a travelling time.

What they can calculate is a processing time. Not a travelling time.

I think an actual date of sending, to be set, voluntarily, by the sender can make it clear how long people (have to) take in sending a card.

The time it takes for a card to travel from New York to say, Chicago is not set in stone.
This can be the actual travelling time, and it can be calculated from a time the sender says "yup, I have *now* sent the card to when the receiver registers the receipt...

Adding a sending time allows users to see:
  1. When the address was drawn;
  2. When the card was sent;
  3. How long the sender takes to send the card;
  4. How long the Post takes to process the card.

I'd sure like to know the time it takes my cards to reach their destination... And that they are actually travelling.

</my euro's worth>
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 10:31 PM

The actual traveling time can be figured out from the postmark and when the card is received.

It also lets us know when an address has been sitting around before actually being sent to.

If I ask for an address, I figure I better be prepared to send the card that day or the next (if I have requested it in the evening)...

The person whose name I have drawn doesn't expect MY card, but they are expecting A card from SOMEONE, and I know I like receiving cards as much as I do sending them, so send them as quickly as I can, once I request that address.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 01:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bokkie_B_Goat  

This can be the actual travelling time, and it can be calculated from a time the sender says "yup, I have *now* sent the card to when the receiver registers the receipt...

But people don't necessarily register the cards the moment they receive them, so you are still missing one information to know how long a card travels.

To me, the traveling time as always meant "time between the moment when an address is requested and the moment the card is registered" and not "time between the moment the card is put into the mail and the moment it is received".
grizzabella

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: grizzabella

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 09:37 AM

I could imagine, that many people wouldn't use this option. For me, it would be to much "work" to change every single date. What about very active people who send cards every day? And... when I think of RRs, how many people forget to write in the thread that they have sent the cards?
rjmom

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: rjmom

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzabella  
I could image, that many people wouldn't use this option. For me, it would be to much "work" to change every single date. What about very active people who send cards every day? And... when I think of RRs, how many people forget to write in the thread that they have sent the cards?

I think this is true. I think that very few people would take the time to use this option. Also, what becomes of the statistics if some sent dates = when the name was requested and some sent dates = when the card actually put in the mail?

Go To Top

Imprint