Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: sister_owl

Mood: :bouncing:

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 10:53 AM
ID Search Service more visible

I have a suggestion.

Please make the link for ID Search Service (http://www.postcrossing.com/receive/unknown) more obvious and easy to find! I see sooooo many of these in profiles:

"-Name, you sent me wonderful card but I have no ID! Please send me ID and I register it!"

And today I noticed such a sign about one of my cards (with my address published) on one of my recipients profile.

I would add to this menu

» Home
» Send a postcard
» Register a postcard
» Sent postcards
» Received postcards

another item:

» Search for ID

Thanks!:)
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 08:42 PM

Totally agree. I came across someone wanting id for one of my cards, totally by chance. I told them that postcrossing could have found the id for them much quicker but they knew nothing about it.

I think it is obvious but it seems not as so many people have those messages in their profiles.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell Zac

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 02:16 AM

On the Register a postcard page (which is where you go to register a postcard before you realise the ID is wrong or missing) there is a link already to the Unknown ID search.

The other place that is obvious (but some members don't feel that it applies to them to look there) is the Help section. There is a topic called: What do I do if I receive a postcard without or with the wrong Postcard ID?

We could have it on every screen and members would not see it.

We know, because Postcrossing gets enquiries every day on how to get an address (click Send a postcard or use the Help/FAQ), how to register a postcard (click Register a Postcard or use the Help/FAQ), how to edit their profile (click Edit/Profile), how to etc ................... and the emails Postcrossing gets daily goes on and on. 98% of the questions we get are either obvious on the users screen or in the Help/FAQ.

So while Postcrossing could add the extra menu item, our experience is that those members who need to see the function would not see or use it. :o

Vicki
Postcrossing Team

6-horz-1.jpg - 242kB
sister_owl

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: sister_owl

Mood: :bouncing:

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 09:11 AM

You say, "you go to register a postcard before you realize the ID is wrong or missing" - but the reality is, that when people get a card with no ID, they don't go anywhere to register it, because there is no ID. If they never laid their eyes on that sign offering help to search for ID, why would they open register page - there's no ID, there's nothing to register.

I understand that the help desk will be flooded with requests, of course. :o
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

We could have it on every screen and members would not see it.

:thumbup::thumbup:

It is totally human nature that some people will not see something that is obvious to others. I am a teacher, and this type of thing happens to me every day. One example - since the beginning of the school year, I have the current day and date written on the board, along with the times that all classes start and begin. I also have the day and date projected on the overhead screen with the students' daily assignment. Not a day goes by when one student doesn't ask, "what's the date today?" or "when does this class end?"
JamesJJ

Country Flag:
Taiwan

Taiwan
Postcrossing Username: jamesjj

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 12:52 AM

I agree that people often miss the seemingly obvious, and if "Search for ID" was on every page, many would still miss it. However, the OP has a valid point in that "Register a postcard" is very counter intuitive for the people who know they don't know the ID number.

So, if you don't want to clog up the left navigation menu with another [infrequently used] link, then perhaps the message on the register postcard page could be made bold/red/bordered to highlight the facility?

....or even better, make it more intuitive: immediately underneath the ID entry field have small but concise link "ID missing or unclear?", which matches the usual web form experience regarding forgotten passwords, CVC2 hints, unknown customer number, etc, etc (link to the existing page:
http://www.postcrossing.com/receive/unknown )

Just suggestions.... you could trial it and see what happens (less silly questions/increased use of the "unknown form") ;)

Go To Top

Imprint