Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Send again, or not worry?
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 08:24 PM
Send again, or not worry?

Advice from more seasoned Postcrossers is solicited!

I am about to have my first 2 sent postcards expire -- both to countries that are notorious for slow/no delivery. Both users are active and seem to be "good Postcrossers" so I don't think it's that they got the cards but didn't register them -- I think the cards are merely stuck/lost.

I really hate it that they didn't get a card that was coming to them. While I don't have duplicates of hardly any of my cards, I could easily send them another. So... should I

a) Send another Official, noting that it's a replacement due to expiration

b) Send a "Random act of Smileness" card and not even mention the lost Official

c) do nothing.

Advice and rationale appreciated!
karryan

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: karryan

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 08:27 PM

Mundoo(Head Forum Administrator) has spoken about this before

Her rationale, and it's one that I would follow is that she wouldn't send a card again as she has kept her obligations to Postcrossing by sending the card.

Now my take-once it is put in the mailbox, it's really out of our hands. I was looking at a local(same island-couple of hours drive), and that card took 74!!! days!

While we'd like all our mail to arrive safe and sound and get registered, things happen. Yes, it can be discouraging, but I'd say that it is a small percentage that get lost/expired. On that note-I wonder if there is a stat for how many cards have got expired
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 09:32 PM

As you wish. I personally never resend expired cards.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 06:07 PM

I don't bother to resend.
lvdn
formerly known as icensnow

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: lvdn

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 09:12 PM

It's up to you. :)

I don't resend, because (a) several of my sent cards have been registered long past 60 days, and (b) the cost of our stamps was recently increased 30%, and resending is expensive.
zeroday

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: zeroday

Mood: Postcards make me happy...

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 10:55 PM

I will resend if I see the person is active...
MegaMadness

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: MegaMadness

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 01:29 PM

I don't re-send personally but it's up to you what you do, whatever makes you happy :)
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 04:11 PM

I have two expired cards at the moment (it was 3)

The one that finally got registered was registered at 198 days.

I have/had been in touch with all 3 of the people, and they never responded to emails.

Only one of them is regularly active.

I would not resend at all if they never respond to an email. Even then, maybe not.

But, as others have said, once you send that first card, your obligation is done. You did spend time and money on that card, and would like to get "credit" for it in your stats, though.

International postage is expensive, so I don't know that I'd resend.

In the end, though, it is up to you.
Retha

Country Flag:
South Africa

South Africa
Postcrossing Username: LovesTheWorld

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 06:22 PM

I think we have to remember that not re-sending is not a loss to the active, registering postcrosser who just did not get your card.

It works like this: A in for example Germany get the address of B in for example Ireland. A's card genuinely gets lost in the mail.

Loss to A: One card sent for which A will not get a card back.
Loss to B: Waiting 2 months longer for a card, from C and not A. (When a card was not received in 2 months, B was still owed a card and his address got given out again, to C.)

If A resends and the second card is registered, it is:
Loss to A: One card (the first) sent for which A will not get a card back.
Loss to B: Waiting 2 months longer for a card, then getting from A and from C. (If his received cards are now one too many, he will be skipped and his address not given out next time his Hurray message arrives.)

If B just never registers cards and A resends, it is:
Loss to A: 2 Cards sent for which A will not get a card back.
Gain to B: 2 cards which he can get more than his sends (because if he don't register, he can - up to a point - get new cards instead.)

So, resending does not benefit the sender, and does not benefit the honest postcrosser who just happened to have a card lost on the way to him.
Fidi

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Fidi

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 08:40 PM

I have resent two cards.
The one to my own country took more than 10 days, which I realized only later might have been due to the holidays...
Anyway, it was registered a couple of days after the re-sent.

The second one still bugs me, as it was the very first card I officially sent for postcrossing. I re-sent one after about 35 days and now the first one is about to expire in a couple of days. I thought maybe the first one had been lost after 35 days. The member is active once in a while, possibly only after receiving cards to register. Anyway, I did not want my first card to expire, so I resent; now it seems that my first cards will still expire.

I would resent if the member is active and the card hasn't arrived in the usual amount of time. That is, if a card to an active member in, say, the Netherlands or Germany has not arrived after 3 weeks, I would probably resent to give it another chance.

Best wishes from
Fidi
marty

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: martymar9999

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 08:10 PM

I would never resend, for a few reasons, first international postage is high enough, and because most of the people I sent to that the cards have expired are inactive-- they have not logged in for several months,
Gealach24

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden
Postcrossing Username: KarroS

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:18 PM

I have two cards that expired 196 and 173 days ago, those members are active, and the cards probably got lost on the way. I have tried to contact them, but they haven't answered, which makes me a bit reluctant to resend. However, since they are both active, I annoys me every time I see their expired cards in the list.

I have two other expired cards, the first has been traveling for 262 days, the members logs in from time to time, but she hasn't reveived or sent anything since last spring. I won't bother resending to her, she probably won't get it, or won't register.

I probably won't resend to any of these members, especially since postage is so expensive, I'll focus on the new addresses that I get instead.

At the moment, 180 of my sent cards have arrived, and only 4 have expired, that's actually not so bad, I think :-D
marty

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: martymar9999

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 11:26 PM

Also remember for those of us who are active:

-- if you move, please update your address when you move. Just because you fill out a change of address form with the post office, it does not change your address for postcrossing, and you can change your address easily and its free!

-- if you are a college student, always update your current mailing address-- if you go home for holidays and summer break, update your postcrossing mailing address so that cards don't expire because you are at a different address.

Since we are mailing postcards and they do not have a return address, doing the above suggestions, will help to eliminate expired cards for active members. Remember, you wont get postcards returned to you because someone moved-- and either did not leave a forwarding address or the post office will not forward after a certain period of time.
Dziubka

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Dziubka

[*] posted on 8-2-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fidi  

I would resent if the member is active and the card hasn't arrived in the usual amount of time. That is, if a card to an active member in, say, the Netherlands or Germany has not arrived after 3 weeks, I would probably resent to give it another chance.

Yes. I've resent a card to the Netherlands and to Germany, because they got lost. And I coud be pretty sure if I spend the postage again chances are they will arrive.

I've currently 6 expired cards. Among them two to Belarus and one to Russia (and another one at 58 days). I'm probably not going to resend those as I'm not sure that they will arrive this time.
I don't know if that makes a whole lot of sense. But I don't mind resending if I can be fairly sure that the card arrives. I do mind it if chances are the 2nd one won't get there either.
futureshrink

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Futureshrink

[*] posted on 25-7-2015 at 04:51 PM
Expired post cards

I have found that if my post card is expired, I will contact the person and ask if they have received it. For instance, I have 4 expired (all from China, Russia and Taiwan) Of the 4 expired, one woman stated that perhaps her address was not correct in English. I then sent the post card again (with the original ID number) in Chinese. We're waiting to see if it gets there.
dzpostcards

Country Flag:
Algeria

Algeria
Postcrossing Username: dzpostcards

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 01:47 PM

For me, i contact the person, if he answered Me, I'll Re-send the Postcard ...., If he ignored me, I will not re-send again .
Worldtraveler90

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Worldtraveler90

Mood: jazzed

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 01:18 PM

Hi

i had 12 cards 110 days expired
when i came back first time from being innactive

Now iam all active again (would love to be)
the cards are expired 260days
I did sent them all again and until today 4 arrived safely.
(8 to arrive)

3 of the people i sent them to where last seen 2-7month ago so there no real hope they will register them soon.:(

My problem is that i cant send any new cards to new people
because on send a postcard stands:

"Before you can request more addresses, you need to send postcards to all the addresses you already have. Those members are waiting for your postcards"

At Traveling stands 0 postcards out of 12

What is going there ?
When did that change of rule happen
and how can i bypass that ? :info:

Lachgas

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Lachgas

Mood: back again after a long time

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 11:53 PM

@worltraveller you just have to wait til your cards get registeredm because there is an automatic stop if you have too many expired ones.

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

Sent and received numbers are all taken into account as well as sent expired and received expired.

When the percentage goes outside a parameter then an automatic stop is put on the account. A message is displayed that new addresses can't be requested until some of the expired (sent or received) are registered.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:50 AM

I've sent messages to those who were approaching the 60 day mark, asking of they have received the cards. Out of all of these users (who are very active, by the way), only one had the courtesy to respond. She is the only one I offered to resend to (she politely declined, but I would have sent it).
humanityera

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: humanityera

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 09:24 PM

I do nothing. My obligation was to send a card, which I did. I am sure many must have sent cards to me which the post office ate up. It sucks. But it happens. I would rather spend my postage on a new person now, because I did my end of the bargin, similarly, I dont expect anyone to resend me if the post office decided to gobble it up
elanj123

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: elanj123

Mood: excitedly stupid :.D

[*] posted on 18-11-2018 at 04:44 AM
second chance theory

I have just sent a bunch out recently in the 60-250 day range...hoping and waiting...about 10 were already registered, yay ! I figure these will be the ones that have the best chance of getting there before the year limit is up:cool: I don't send any more though, it would be pointless.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 22-5-2019 at 07:30 PM

I have resent cards in the following circumstances:

1.  Insufficient postage. This is more related to my early days of postcrossing.  I did not know much about sending internationally, so I put one Forever stamp on my cards. Many of them got to their destination,  so i assumed it was OK. Then many expired, and that's when i learned more about correct postage. Oops! So I resent cards with the correct amount of stamps.

2. I realize in retrospect that the card may not have made it by its design. There were a couple of expired cards that were rather flimsy (more like paper than a postcard) and I just imagined them getting worn, torn, and lost in the mail. So I sent another card and made a note to send these delicate postcards in an envelope.

(And of course I have only sent another one if the user is active)

Go To Top

Imprint