Author: Subject: postcard wall - keyword tags
astrogirl

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 17-3-2010 at 06:45 AM
postcard wall - keyword tags

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, I did a quick search but came up with unrelated results...

But for the postcard gallery, perhaps we could have keyword tags. So for example if I uploaded an image of a vintage postcard that was of a cat sitting in a hat, I could tag the postcard with the keywords "vintage", "animals", "cat", "cute" and "hat" and then on my postcard wall there could be a tag cloud/list that you can click on a keyword to see all the postcards that have been tagged with that keyword - like all the "cat" cards, or all the postcards with "hats", or "animals", or "people", or "streets", or "art", or "ad card"s, or "yellow" cards, or "handmade" cards, or "vintage" cards, or cards with "maps" or whatever other keywords people have tagged their cards with.

I guess a good example of this is flickr, where you can tag your photos. Would something like that be hard to do?
Pihka

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Pihka

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 10:15 AM

I came here with this same wish in my head...! I'm happy someone else thought it too. I'd love to see this happen one day!

Tags would be useful in many ways. Now you can browse the postcards by country, which is great, but tags would make it even more easier to choose a card for a person. If a person has hundreds of received cards it'd be nice to be able to click on f.e. "cat" and see, if (s)he has already received or not the cat card I was going to send. Many non-touristic cards are published and sold in several countries, so the country feature only helps limitedly. I'm sure many of us would be willing to add tags to our cards, if only this feature came available!

Even more fun would be a search function so you could find all cards tagged with "cat" or "map" or "women" or with whatever key word. It would make it much easier to find cards you like for your favourites (I know not everyone does that, but for those of us who do!) and also give more visibility to our received and sent cards. Now when there are almost two million images of cards downloaded to Postcrossing.com site, it'd make sense to develop ways to make browsing through them more functional.

Please think about it! :)

Calaquendi

Country Flag:
Lithuania

Lithuania
Postcrossing Username: Calaquendi

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 03:54 PM

It would be great if everyone could write tags for all images (like in last.fm) so results would be more accurate. There are lots of postcrossers who do not care about writing info about themselves, preferable & favorite cards or uploading images. They like just send and get. I don't think that they would write tags for cards so other people could do this :)
swan
Administrator

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: swan

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 06:14 PM

I like the idea. I see another problem, many people don't even care to write a description to the card images even now (even when you can be sure there was a nice short phrase on the back that could be used), so would they take the time to tag their images? If not, would enough other people look and tag for this feature to still be useful?
Pihka

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 18-6-2010 at 12:11 PM

Thanks for the comments! :)

I think I'd rather tag my cards myself than have others do it for me... I don't really know why though! Hehe... So I guess both would be ok. And I see the point, surely not everyone would tag their cards, so it would make sense that others could do it for them. But what if they tagged it with something inappropriate or just plain wrong? Say there was a cat in the photo and someone tagged is as dog? I know that'd annoy me! ;) I think there should be a way to delete or report wrong tags, and so that would just cause more work for the administration.

Swan: I haven't even written descriptions for my cards! Whoops... :P I will do it though, I haven't really given it much thought before, but your comment made me realize I should do it. :)

I do believe the feature would still be useful though, even if people in general tend to be a bit lazy. I'm sure there would be enough interest once people realize their cards can be found more easily if they tag them. Many users seem to like their cards receiving comments or favourites, so maybe that would encourage them. :)
thereshegoes

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden
Postcrossing Username: thereshegoes

Mood: wanderlust...

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 02:09 PM

I was just going to make a thread about this when I saw this!

I would love to see tags on the postcard walls. It would make it so much more fun and easier when browsing. Tags can then also be made into a tag cloud (for the whole postcrossing) to see what are the most popular and so on.

Hope to see this feature!
fluctus

Country Flag:
Lithuania

Lithuania

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 08:27 AM

I'm definately for this idea!
It would make PC life easier - easier to search needed card or the user :)
Hexentrio

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Hexentrio

Mood: Beam me up, Scottie!

[*] posted on 19-12-2010 at 09:54 PM

I support this idea :thumbup:

At the moment, I'm changing my "favourites" wall to "wishlist" wall.

In the hunt for cards I would like to receive, I flick through the walls of different countries and of different users, which is very time-consuming.

In order to find cards more easier, it would be nice to have the possibility to add "tags".

Some online albums offer this feature - and this is very helpful.

When looking for special cards, you just need to select a country and enter in a box the tag you are looking for.
Then the cards related to this tags will be displayed.
anagahan
Ex-Yugoslavian Countries Community moderator

Postcrossing Username: anagahan

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 10:02 AM

i like the idea too coz I also love some special kinds of cards like trains and lighthouses for example, so it would be great if i could get an exhaustive list of these instead going thru all galleries one by one....however, as pointed out above, if people dont care to tag their cards, the efficiency of this feature does come into question.....however, i think it is worth considering
lilmonster

Country Flag:
Montenegro

Montenegro
Postcrossing Username: lilmonster

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 06:21 PM

Great idea! :)
Hexentrio

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by anagahan  
however, as pointed out above, if people dont care to tag their cards, the efficiency of this feature does come into question.....however, i think it is worth considering

yes, that's right.

But you will always have people who care and are accurate.
I'm sure that they will tag their cards because, probably, they use the keyword function by their own.
And if some don't tag their cards? Never mind :D In this case their cards won't be "discovered" either.

Another questions to be considered:
- Who tags a card? The sender, the receiver? Or both as soon as the card is uploaded?
- Should there be a kind of "basics" how to name a keyword or can they be freely selected? Singular/Plural?
- Should later amendments to a keyword already entered be possible?

Well, let's see what our mods and admins think about that... :)

paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 07:43 PM

I want to drop a quick message just to say this is in the plans :). In fact, it's been in the plans for a long time, but 1) time never seems to be enough for all I want/need to do and 2) this will consume new resources that need to be well planned to not drag down the rest of the website (ie: will create more database load).

In sum: it's on the plans, so keep the ideas/discussion coming - I'll surely will pick up ideas from here when I finally get my hands on it. :)
Hexentrio

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 08:00 PM

Hi Paulo,
good to read you :)

Thanks for the information.
It's nice to read that you have put this idea already into consideration.

I can imagine that it takes a long time to integrate such a feature into the database and it's a huge programming work.

We are looking forward to any of your "gimmicks" whenever it will be realised :)
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 10:04 PM

It's a great idea and one I'd use. It will take a lot of thought all the same. If you let people make up their own keywords, you'll have far too many variations, or misspellings, or different languages. In some ways it would be better to have keywords chosen from a list but that would mean a massive amount of work to establish, and it still wouldn't suit everyone.

You may even find disagreements on what is shown on the card (when does an art card become a poster reproduction? when does a card become vintage?)

I'll be looking forward to seeing how it's done, and to using it. :)
Sofa
Unregistered

[*] posted on 31-12-2010 at 08:50 PM

This idea sounds great!
Perhaps there could be a list of keywords to choose from plus the possibility to use own keywords if the ones in the list don't fit?
Corydoras

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Corydoras

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 10:04 AM

Personally I think there should be a list of possible keywords. And if you can't find yours (let's say you get a card of a rather rare animal like a rhino, but all you can find is elephant and hippo...), then you can send in your suggestion, it is checked upon and taken into the default list.

I KNOW this causes lots and lots of work. But I suppose without default list, you'll end up having "cat", "cats", "kitty", "kitten" and various possibilities in other languages for one and the same thing!

Because this default list will at one time be enormously long, it should maybe not work as a drop down menu, but more like google works... You know, you start typing a word and google gives you suggestions for which word you might mean.

Anyway, I hope my thoughts are not too complicated. :)
rpc

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 23-1-2011 at 03:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sabaton  
Personally I think there should be a list of possible keywords. And if you can't find yours (let's say you get a card of a rather rare animal like a rhino, but all you can find is elephant and hippo...), then you can send in your suggestion, it is checked upon and taken into the default list.

I KNOW this causes lots and lots of work. But I suppose without default list, you'll end up having "cat", "cats", "kitty", "kitten" and various possibilities in other languages for one and the same thing!

Because this default list will at one time be enormously long, it should maybe not work as a drop down menu, but more like google works... You know, you start typing a word and google gives you suggestions for which word you might mean.

Anyway, I hope my thoughts are not too complicated. :)

I agree with your suggestions, Sabaton :D

(Of course, I have no computer programming experience, so I also have no idea how complicated this would be...)

I definitely think that allowing us all to make up our own keyword tags could lead to a lot of misleading and misspelled words.

For instance, if someone was going to tag a map card of the state of Mississippi in the USA, tags could end up being

Mississippi, Misissippi, Missisippi, Mississipi, Misisipi, Missippi, and on and on! :P

Of course, I don't know how specific each category would be - maybe it would be divided up by topic or region (for viewcards).

It's all speculation now, but I'm excited that Paulo said it is in the works! :bouncy:
Pihka

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 9-2-2011 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rpc  

It's all speculation now, but I'm excited that Paulo said it is in the works! :bouncy:

Me too! :) I can't wait!

I'd prefer us being able to decide on our own tags/keywords. It'd be a huge work to prepare a comprehensive list and still it couldn't possibly cover every choice. To really be functional it'd have to include pretty much every animal, every city/town/village, every artist, a huge number of items (books, seashells etc.), different genres, specific characters (Miffy, moomin...) etc. etc. etc. I can't imagine the work that would go into making a list like that!

I would rather have the plurality of possible words (cat, kitten etc.) than to have an incomplete list or have to ask permission everytime I wanted to tag with something not in the list.

However, maybe there could be a tag cloud, a drop-down menu or any other kind of menu showing, say, 100 most commonly used tag words. That would encourage people to use the generic words but would not limit their creativity or precision of the tags. Either way, if you tagged your card with kitty or kissa (cat in Finnish) instead of cat, I can't imagine many people would find it. I think that alone would encourage using general words when possible.

As for the who should be able to tag the cards, I think the best choice would be to do it the same way as when uploading the postcard image. The sender could tag the image when uploading it, but the receiver would have final control. They could remove the tags if wanted and add their own.

Here is an example how the most popular tag words could be shown:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/
I think a tag cloud like that might be useful also for the PC site.
elwingelfje

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 10:47 AM

I'm really excited about this - I think it would be a great improvement!

Maybe there could be a system where certain keywords are linked - if you fill in "cat", "cats", "kitty" or "kitten" (as in Sabaton's example) the system might suggest you tag the postcard as "cat" in the last three cases. Or there could be a cloud suggesting the most common tags (eg viewcard; multiview; art; cat; animal; black and white) and if you need any additionals you can type them yourself.
Pihka

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 16-6-2011 at 07:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elwingelfje  

Maybe there could be a system where certain keywords are linked - if you fill in "cat", "cats", "kitty" or "kitten" (as in Sabaton's example) the system might suggest you tag the postcard as "cat" in the last three cases. Or there could be a cloud suggesting the most common tags (eg viewcard; multiview; art; cat; animal; black and white) and if you need any additionals you can type them yourself.

Both great ideas! :D :thumbup:

I can't wait for this to happen. :)

SarahF

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: SarahF

Mood: Happy :love:

[*] posted on 18-6-2011 at 04:56 PM

It's so cool that this is in the planning! I just logged on with this topic in mind, since I just woke up after dreaming of sorting my postcards in topic-related categories (the fact that I have dreams about postcrossing is a bit worrysome, though).

So, both me and my compulsive sorting obsession are very happy about this..:) It would also make fulfilling the ambition to send people no duplicates much more easy!

Pihka

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 20-3-2012 at 10:16 PM

Wondering if there are any news about this change... it'd be so great! I don't mean to be impatient, but... ;)
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 20-3-2012 at 10:57 PM

@Pihka: I wish I had news on this, but not yet. We have too much in queue and when we prioritize it, this hasn't reached the front yet. All I can add is that it is not forgotten and is still in the plans.
tyrskytyyhty

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Mysteria

Mood: :love:

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 02:11 PM

Oh, I'm so happy that this suggestion exists already and is in the plans! :) I was just thinking about this. I think it's a great idea. Thinking how useful and fun the tagging system in Last.fm or deviantART is, for example.

Quote: Originally posted by SarahF  
It would also make fulfilling the ambition to send people no duplicates much more easy!

Exactly! That's a good point. :)
Crazy_Cooper

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Crazy_Cooper

[*] posted on 20-9-2012 at 01:17 PM

I'm really looking forward to this feature. It would be very helpful ;)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint