Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: If you could change one thing about PC ...
malleechick
Formerly known as aggysaunt

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: malleechick

Mood: Looking forward to the warm weather

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 08:46 AM

I would like to see Top 20 for each country, not just Top 10.

(Nothing at all to do with me being #15!!)
adkelly

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: adkelly

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 03:41 PM

I wish there were separate links for favorites received and favorites wanted. Because people use the favorites two different ways it can sometimes be confusing. Especially to those that don't read the entire profile.
ichabodhides

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: ichabodhides

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gerbilmiranda  
I wish Postcrossing does not give out my adres in batches, but a bit more evenly spread over time.
I've recieved 11 postcards in november (3-4 in one day), but not a single one after that... :(

That is two months with no postcard in my mailbox. Can understand why starting Postcrossers lose interest because of that :o

And yes, I'm still sending in the mean time. To slow travelling countries that is.

This :thumbup:
LenaLena

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: LenaLena

Mood: Waiting for postcards!

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 11:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by adkelly  
I wish there were separate links for favorites received and favorites wanted. Because people use the favorites two different ways it can sometimes be confusing. Especially to those that don't read the entire profile.

Yes, this! I have both in my favourites, because I like to mark a card that someone send me which I really like, but I also mark cards in general that I like. Two seperate lists would be great.
Fidi

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Fidi

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 11:56 PM

I agree on the "see profile before sending hurray-message" wish.
I once received a cards from an adult who had, in my opinion, the hand writing of a primary school pupil (I do know a person like that in RL, too. No offense!)
My answer was thus aimend at a second-grader rather than an aduld - oops!:mad:

I would love a wish list of countries you want to send to or receive from.
Not a demand list but a list in the line of "I would really love to send to/ receive from..." in the next months.
I don't know anything about computer programming, but perhaps there would be a chance of allotting a free address to someone who wishes to send a card there if the two happen to go together.
Addresses would still be allotted randomly mostly, but if someone wants to send to Italy and and Italian address is available then the two could be brought together.

Best wishes from
Fidi
tediousandbrief

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: tediousandbrief

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 07:15 AM

That they don't have a feature where you can send cards from another country when you're traveling abroad.

You can change your totally address, but then you would have to wait for another 60 days before you could change it back again. Most vacations/holidays are less than 60 days. When I was in Poland it would have been fun to send a bunch of postcards from Poland; especially since I was so close to a post office!
Bluepoppy

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: bluepoppy

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 07:17 AM

The one thing I would change is weeding out inactive players
MainStation

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: MainStation

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 03:56 PM

I would love to have some kind of direct message system on the official site. Just like the U2U here in the forum.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tediousandbrief  
When I was in Poland it would have been fun to send a bunch of postcards from Poland; especially since I was so close to a post office!

You could still have sent postcards from Poland, absolutely no problem with that!

The one thing I would change would be to take away the option to send to repeated countries and make it so that the next address that you request is really the next address available, no matter if you already have a card travelling to that country or not.
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ThePOSTCARDPerfect

Mood: 乂❤‿❤乂

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 01:40 AM

How about "Favorites" tab and and option to "Add to Wishlist" tab. :)
delenn_mir

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: delenn_mir

Mood: I see... sun!

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
Quote: Originally posted by tediousandbrief  
When I was in Poland it would have been fun to send a bunch of postcards from Poland; especially since I was so close to a post office!

You could still have sent postcards from Poland, absolutely no problem with that!

The one thing I would change would be to take away the option to send to repeated countries and make it so that the next address that you request is really the next address available, no matter if you already have a card travelling to that country or not.

I second the option of getting rid of repeated and non-repeated countries :D

As for sending while on vacation, I would love option "vacation" that would allow me to send cards with ID of the country where we are, without changing our permanent country.

For some, like me, IDs, stamps and view not matching is mildly annoying ;) That is why I never send official cards from my vacation abroad, just private swaps ;)
Ugly_Pheebs

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Ugly_Pheebs

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gruenlilie  
I wish postcards sent to people who have lost interest in PC would automatically be marked as "sent". I have lots of expired cards and where half of them the users just never logged in again.

This would be my priority, too! Most (probably ¾) of my expired cards have been sent to people like this, and at the moment I have another ‘joined Postcrossing about a month ago, not seen for about a month, 5 cards sent, 0 received’ -person, who doesn’t reply e-mails, and I wasted my lovely deer-card on her! :(

Yes, this would be good.

Also, if you have uploaded a card on your wall, and the other person deletes it for whatever reason, I’d still like that it would stay on my wall as sent/received card, because I like to keep my wall as complete as possible, and don’t like if my images disappear just because some OCD-person wants their wall clean.
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by piscean  
Quote: Originally posted by Gruenlilie  
I wish postcards sent to people who have lost interest in PC would automatically be marked as "sent". I have lots of expired cards and where half of them the users just never logged in again.

Absolutely this. :thumbup: I've just had yet another card "disappear" after 365 days; it was pretty clear that the recipient was a child who got bored and lost interest. Another card that I sent 4 months ago, went to someone who hasn't been seen in 5 months and who has never registered a single card - even though she sent some so ought to have received some, a good few months ago. Looks like that one, too has simply lost interest. (I sent polite emails to both, but never had the courtesy of a response from either.)

Postcrossing assure you that they "do everything they can" about it, i.e. that they send loads of reminders to members who have "disappeared". Which I frankly think is useless, because those members are unlikely to take note of email reminders if they can't even be bothered to log in any more to register their received cards!

But Postcrossing COULD do one thing more: they could send a clear final reminder to such members if they have not been seen for more than, say, 6 or 8 months. If there is no response to that, and still no outstanding cards registered within another 4 weeks, the account should be terminated. That way, at least all those people who have sent them cards in good faith will have their names returned to the pool and will receive the cards they are owed.

I firmly believe that this course of action would be fairer on the greater number of people!

Amen to this. I have several cards to people who have given up on postcrossing, and other cards that got lost and will be disappearing from postcrossing forever.

I have even contacted postcrossing recently about this, gotten no response.

For these cases...especially those that are postcrossing dropouts, I really think those cards should be registered by the system as sent. We then get credit for a sent card. I would not mind the 365 day wait, at least not nearly as much as having a card I spent good money and postage on, disappear completely.

I am not as concerned about getting one in return. I really would like eventual credit for what I did, you know?

And I would think that cards that are more obviously sent to active users, and therefore truly lost in the mail, they could be credited to a "lost card account" or something. We then still get credit for having sent a card.

Could people try to "take advantage" of the system this way? Getting credit for a card they never sent? Maybe....but who would want to wait for 365 days to do that? Not me.
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 09:17 PM

I like this idea. I'm not worried too much for cards that are genuinely lost (ie the receiver is logging on regularly and registering other cards), but the ones where you send a card and the receiver never logs in again even though they most likely received the card are another story.

I think that if a card is sent and not registered after 365 days and the receiver has not visited postcrossing in the months between the card being sent and the 365 days being up, then they should be registered automatically.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 02:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by YOIYUMTEWA  
Could people try to "take advantage" of the system this way? Getting credit for a card they never sent?

Postcrossing has seen it all in regards to not sending and getting credit.

Users continually try to scam the system.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 02:11 PM

I am sure people try to scam everything--even postcrossing.

It is just beyond me why someone would try to/want to scam for something as small and of relatively small value as a post card, and wait more than a year for that small payback.

If someone is into scamming, there are far more lucrative scams available.

I just think that getting credit at the end of a year, especially for cards sent to someone who had been gone from post crossing for that year, is a good idea. The sender would not be eligible to receive a card until that card is "registered"....by postcrossing, so a return card will be more than a year from the sent one.

I know I am not patient enough game the system for that.

Even if the sent cards don't get credited to the receiver, wouldn't there be a way for postcrossing to create some sort of "Land of Lost Cards" spot, where the lost cards, and cards to users who have gone and not registered cards, finally get registered?

That way, the sender finally gets credit for sending a card (even if the receiver doesn't get credit for receiving it).

For myself, I wouldn't even care if I get a card back for those cards. It is just that since I spent money on the card (usually not much) and the postage (usually quite a bit more than the value of the card), I would get "credit" for sending a card.
lillooet

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: lillooet

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 08:19 PM

I know designing frontends for the millions of different devices and display settings out there in the world is pretty painful, as it it part of my job.
On my big widescreen monitor at home the postcrossing website only uses about half or maybe even less of the space of the browser window. Well, ok. But what I really dislike, is that in my postcard list I often have to scroll sideways (left/right) - that's a no go for me, if evitable. And having like thousands of empty pixels to the left and right on the page makes it obviosly evitable for me. So a little bit more responsive or dynamic design would be highly appreciated!

Another thing relating to this: I really, really like the map with my sent and received postcards. But it's so small. As a default that's ok but I would love to have the option to size it to the full size of my screen!
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lillooet  

On my big widescreen monitor..* snip* what I really dislike, is that in my postcard list I often have to scroll sideways (left/right)

How strange. May I ask what resolution you use? Or what brower?
lillooet

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: lillooet

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Farrow  
Quote: Originally posted by lillooet  

On my big widescreen monitor..* snip* what I really dislike, is that in my postcard list I often have to scroll sideways (left/right)

How strange. May I ask what resolution you use? Or what brower?

Firefox, in an up-to-date version. 35.0.1 right now. And the resolution is 1980x1020. It looks like in the attachment right now.
I know I could hide some columns to avoid the problem, but I want to see all of those informations. And I think there could be a correlation with long user or country names.

sent.jpg - 49kB
SuzyDoozy

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 07:58 PM

Weird. I'm using the same version of Firefox and mine is fine. I can see all the columns without scrolling across.
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 13-2-2015 at 09:19 AM

Firefox, in an up-to-date version. 35.0.1 right now. And the resolution is 1980x1020

Same here, I do not have your problem.

I think there could be a correlation with long user or country names.

Hmm, could be. I have some pretty long usernames in there and I still don't have it.
What I did notice is I do have a scrollbar at the bottom (for one millimeter scroll)

What is your monitor size? Mine is 27inch.
I had a 24inch before this, can't say for sure if I had to scroll then..
Did you change fonts or font sizes in firefox's settings? That kind of stuff.

mikebond

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: mikebond

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 05:53 AM

Apart from what has already been suggested, if I were Postcrossing, I would periodically send a reminder about the page to use to recover missing or incorrect IDs. I stumble too often upon profiles that say "Hey, you sent me a nice postcard but you forgot the ID so I can't register it. Please send me the ID if you read this". Even some experienced members are not aware of the existence of a page for unknown IDs. Sometimes I send them a message to tell them where the link to this page can be found, but I can't save the world...
Another solution may be to add a "Missing ID?" link on the left-hand column, below "Register a postcard" or anywhere else where more members can see it.
Gealach24

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden
Postcrossing Username: KarroS

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mikebond  
Apart from what has already been suggested, if I were Postcrossing, I would periodically send a reminder about the page to use to recover missing or incorrect IDs. I stumble too often upon profiles that say "Hey, you sent me a nice postcard but you forgot the ID so I can't register it. Please send me the ID if you read this". Even some experienced members are not aware of the existence of a page for unknown IDs. Sometimes I send them a message to tell them where the link to this page can be found, but I can't save the world...
Another solution may be to add a "Missing ID?" link on the left-hand column, below "Register a postcard" or anywhere else where more members can see it.

Great idea! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
10yrbr

Postcrossing Username: 10yrbr

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 10:34 PM

Too many Russian addresses come up--this seems to be one of the biggest complaints I've read about Postcrossing. I've only sent 7 cards, of which 3 were to Russia and 1 to a Russian temporarily outside Russia. 57% of my postcards going to the same place is boring.
SuzyDoozy

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 10yrbr  
Too many Russian addresses come up--this seems to be one of the biggest complaints I've read about Postcrossing. I've only sent 7 cards, of which 3 were to Russia and 1 to a Russian temporarily outside Russia. 57% of my postcards going to the same place is boring.

Do you have it ticked to send to repeated countries? If so, go into edit profile and uncheck where it says Check if you prefer to have several postcards traveling to the same country at the same time.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

Imprint