Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: If you could change one thing about PC ...
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 02:37 AM

All this talk of sending (or not sending) to Russia, I remember when the complaints were 'why always Finland' for several years.

Next year it will be 'why always <insert next active hotspot>'

Members are not sending to a country.

You are sending to another Postcrossing member.
10yrbr

Postcrossing Username: 10yrbr

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

That might be the intention of the originators (although I'm not convinced on that front either), but it's certainly not how the majority of Postcrossers use the system, which is only underscored by the fact that so many people complain about having to repeatedly send to/receive from the same country/ies.

If it was the case that Postcrossing was purely about user-to-user connections, then everybody would say Yes to direct swaps, and nobody would even think about which countries they were sending cards to, or about what kinds of cards they were getting or from where.
Herzmuschel

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Herzmuschel

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 10yrbr  

Quote:

You haven't said how you would prevent people from misusing the option and the scenario given as an example could occur (and no, many people blocking slow/common countries is not as unlikely as you believe).And adding to lncrou7s point: The users who would still be sending to Russia would now get all the addresses to Russia because they have to compensate for the users who blocked that country. This would be a disatvantage for them because their variety of countries to send to or receive from would be limited without them wanting it. And this could lead to even more users blocking Russia.

So you're willing to send postcards to Russia, but only to a certain point? Isn't that precisely what people are saying when they complain about how many of their cards go to Russia? So what's that cutoff?

And I have said two things: first, I don't think there's any reason why a user shouldn't block a given country, so I don't think there is such a thing as "misuse," and second, if the fear is that there would be a massive drop in people willing to send to Russia (which, again, if true is indicative that there is a problem), then allow fewer travelling cards for those who choose to block any country but their own.

I was/ we were explaining to you what the consequences of you new 'block-the-country' option would be. Like I/we were doing the whole conversation btw.
There was never a denial of there is a problem with slow/ common countries. In fact I told you this in my very first post.
Denying there would be misuse? Great idea of preventing it.
Sanctioning people? This would very much clash with the system of updating the number of postcards someone can have travelling= it is too complicated to implement on this website.
I'm getting tired of this pointless discussion. If you don't want to accept the concerns that people have with your 'block-the-country' option, go on. I/we already tried to explain to you that:
1. It is against the Postcrossing spirit because it is discriminating.
2.It is prone to people misusing it to simply get a higher variety of countries without thinking about the harm it causes to other Postcrossing members.
3. The current problem with Russia is not the fault of the Postcrossing website, it is the fault of the mail system. There is nothing Postcrossing can do about it. We just have to make the best out of it.
4. You are sending to randomly picked people who happen to live in a certain country. All Postcrossing members have the right to be treated equally. Random means random.
5. If you want more variety come play with us in Tags and RR's. There you can handpick the countries/members you want to send to/ receive from.
I'm leaving this conversation now. Bye Bye.
10yrbr

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 08:55 PM

Quote:

I was/ we were explaining to you what the consequences of you new 'block-the-country' option would be.

What you were saying is that you also have a limit on how many postcards you're willing to send to the same country; yours might be higher than some other people's, but there would still be a point at which you'd not be happy about it.

Maybe you're not a native English speaker, or maybe you're deliberately ignoring what I've said, but if the conversation has been pointless it's because you're making it so. The point was never about slow countries, and I have said a number of times that the "problem with Russia," as you put it, is not the fault of the Postcrossing site.

As an aside, though, I do find it remarkable how many people are willing say there's a "problem with Russia" but balk at any suggestion that some people might use to remedy it, and talk vaguely of "discrimination."

As to your numbered remarks:

Quote:

1. It is against the Postcrossing spirit because it is discriminating.

Please point me to where it says that on the official site. I have quoted the FAQ that "currently" choosing what countries you want to send to isn't an option, which seems to contradict such claims and suggests that this may be an option in the future.

Quote:

2.It is prone to people misusing it to simply get a higher variety of countries without thinking about the harm it causes to other Postcrossing members.

I have already explained that I don't think this is misuse, not based on how people use the site, not based on the goals of the site, and not based on anything else.

Quote:

4. You are sending to randomly picked people who happen to live in a certain country. All Postcrossing members have the right to be treated equally. Random means random.

This is the one I find most interesting. People keep talking about discrimination, without ever explaining what that means. If pressed, they say it's "unfair." But what is it that's unfair? Someone who sends a card gets a card; that wouldn't change. Would people in Russia, for example, receive fewer cards? Nobody's claiming they would. You and others seem to be concerned that some people would choose to no longer exchange cards with users with Russian addresses. But would people with Russian addresses be sending to or receiving from fewer countries? Again, nobody's claiming that.

You keep trying to have it both ways: you say that it's unfair that people outside Russia have to exchange so many cards with Russian users, yet any suggestion that some people might use an option not to send to particular countries as a way to level that particular playing field you characterise as a "misuse." But if you feel so strongly that such an option would be unfair to Russian users, then you must feel equally strongly about the current situation for non-Russians; so what's your solution for that?
Herzmuschel

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Herzmuschel

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 09:43 PM

This comment above me just confirms my statement about someone not being willing to understand other peoples points of view. Read page 3 of this thread again and you'll find all the answers you are looking for. And stop pointing the finger of blame on me, I was actually being responsive to your questions ( asking you for clues so I can understand you, answering your questions with explainations etc.)
Quote: Originally posted by Herzmuschel  
1.The long travelling times to Russia are not the fault of the Postcrossing website it's the fault of the mail service in that particular country. The current settings in Postrossing give every member the same chance of getting a postcard by giving out their address randomly. Having the same chance of getting something you want regardless of what country you are from is what I'm calling fair. Sure it's annoying to have to wait a long time until your postcard gets registered but you have to keep in mind that the one who received the card had to wait just as long for the card as you. And everyone who wants to send a card has the same chance of drawing an address to a 'slow' country or to a 'fast' country. The world is not fair but I think Postcrossing as it is now makes a good job in giving every member equal rights(= being fair).

unfair is not the same as annoying.
That's all I have to say. If you want me to explain anything further U2U me.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 04:27 AM

Quote:

As an aside, though, I do find it remarkable how many people are willing say there's a "problem with Russia" but balk at any suggestion that some people might use to remedy it, and talk vaguely of "discrimination."

What suggestion to remedy it? The suggestion you made certainty doesn't remedy the situation, it furthers the problem. The problem is that there is an imbalance of countries. Your suggestion causes the imbalance to be even bigger, therefore making the problem worse.

I think this is why this conversation is going nowhere. From what you are saying, when we say "the problem with Russia", it seems that you think the problem is that people are sending to many cards there. But that's not at all what the problem is. The problem is that the system is supposed to be: 1 card sent, 1 card received. But right now, because of the imbalance of countries, it's not what is happening. People in certain countries receive too many cards, while people in other countries do not receive enough.

Since it seems that we are not trying to resolve the same problem, I don't think we'll ever be able to really understand each other.
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 10:53 AM

I haven't got the clue why this discussion is here. There is a repeating in it. As Mundoo said, it is sent a card, receive a card - not about countries but about persons (or cats or dogs etc).

This topic is about the ONE thing you WOULD like to change in postcrossing, just a list. Other topics are real suggestions for improvement, this is just a wishlist topic - a dream on list for the moment.

Everyone has the right to post here what is the ONE thing you would like to change. If someone likes to see it is possible to block countries, let it be - currently this is only available for your own country. Everyone knows, no-one can look into the future too far and it is as it is at the moment.

If you wish to block other countries as well, postcrossing is at the moment not a good game for you. Many came, many go.

If you collect countries, there are cheaper ways to get your cards without duplicating countries as here in postcrossing. Before internet I just wrote letters to tourist offices and newspapers all around the world and collected stamps and cards from the remotest islands.
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ichabodhides  
Quote: Originally posted by mtts  
p.s. Postcrossing is only fair for the
'sent a card, receive a card' quote.

That doesn't seem to be entirely correct - very often when one of my cards has been registered, my address has been given out multiple times. This seems to have been happening to a lot of people for a while now.

So sour!
Not for a lot of people, but for all of us.
And still it is one postcard for one postcard, the way your address has been given out is not influencing this quote, but it is influencing the way you receive your cards. Sometimes you are cards due, sometimes you might be in the plus.
gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: gran8

Mood: Happy to be with my family :)

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 02:11 PM

10 yrbr

"Having been doing this for only about a couple of months, I have to say what I don't like is the total lack of choice. I don't mind getting random addresses, but there are some countries I just have no interest in sending postcards to, and I think there should be the option not to have to. "

Which bit of the description of how this group works did you read? This bit?

https://www.postcrossing.com/about

If so, which bit of " The main idea is that: if you send a postcard, you will receive one back from a random Postcrosser from somewhere in the world." did you not get?

If you don't like how this group works, and just want to pick a fight, please do it elsewhere...it seems that you are not content with putting forward a suggestion, and listening to others views on it. By all means, make suggestions...but to join a group not knowing how it works? Not really the fault of the group, now is it? Childish, demanding, attention seeking behaviours tend to indicate one who doesn't play well with others....

Your suggestion has been noted - move on.
10yrbr

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote:

Which bit of the description of how this group works did you read?

I've said which part. I quoted it.

Quote:

If you don't like how this group works, and just want to pick a fight, please do it elsewhere...it seems that you are not content with putting forward a suggestion, and listening to others views on it. By all means, make suggestions...but to join a group not knowing how it works? Not really the fault of the group, now is it? Childish, demanding, attention seeking behaviours tend to indicate one who doesn't play well with others....

Your suggestion has been noted - move on.

Lovely. Very welcoming.

This thread is called "If you could change one thing about PC." I said what I'd change. People have responded. I have replied: that is how a discussion thread works. I am not picking a fight. I have not been rude. I fail to see why one or two people are taking such offense.
gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 04:40 PM

I asked did you read that particular sentence - if you did, "random" and "somewhere in the world" is a dead giveaway.... having read that, and not agreeing with it, why did you join? If that, or any other part of being in this group, did not suit you, again - why join? It seems that from the beginning you have been unhappy with the entire premise of the group...even to the point where you question how/why the group was formed:

"That might be the intention of the originators (although I'm not convinced on that front either)"

You clearly think the originators ( the owners) are liars for some reason. So enlighten us - what DO you think the intention was?

As for being welcoming...I'll be honest, I don't feel like it. I'm fed up of having this group pulled apart and moaned about, when let's face it - IT'S FREE. I'm all for these suggestions being made, some have been adopted, but this nitpicking, sour, "I'm right" posturing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As for you not being rude - passive aggressive behaviour is rude, and you employ that in your responses.

I know very well how a discussion thread works, and what doesn't work is someone attempting to show how clever they are, by continuing to repeat themselves ad infinitum. As has been said - by Mundoo - you are sending to a PERSON. Your suggestion, which has been made before, will have been noted.

lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtts  

This topic is about the ONE thing you WOULD like to change in postcrossing, just a list. Other topics are real suggestions for improvement, this is just a wishlist topic - a dream on list for the moment.

Everyone has the right to post here what is the ONE thing you would like to change. If someone likes to see it is possible to block countries, let it be - currently this is only available for your own country. Everyone knows, no-one can look into the future too far and it is as it is at the moment.

Yes, this thread wasn't started as a discussion thread, but I see no reason why we can't discuss in it. People say what they would like to be change about Postcrossing and we are all allowed to say if we think this is a good idea or not.
10yrbr

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote:

You clearly think the originators ( the owners) are liars for some reason. So enlighten us - what DO you think the intention was?

I have never said that. As I have already explained, the FAQ reads:

Quote:

Can I choose the country which I will exchange postcards with?Not at the moment. For now, addresses are chosen randomly from another country (including your own, if you choose that option).

--Or rather, it used to: I note with extreme interest that in the last day or so this has been changed, and now reads:

Quote:

Can I choose the country which I will exchange postcards with? No, that is not possible.

So, whoever's in charge of the FAQ has (now) removed all ambiguity on that front.

Quote:

As for being welcoming...I'll be honest, I don't feel like it. I'm fed up of having this group pulled apart and moaned about, when let's face it - IT'S FREE. I'm all for these suggestions being made, some have been adopted, but this nitpicking, sour, "I'm right" posturing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As for you not being rude - passive aggressive behaviour is rude, and you employ that in your responses.I know very well how a discussion thread works, and what doesn't work is someone attempting to show how clever they are, by continuing to repeat themselves ad infinitum.

I have been none of those things, and frankly, gran8, if you don't feel like being welcoming, then why are you here? I can't see why some people are taking it so personally. Some people have been willing to discuss their views and ask for mine and for my rationales even while disagreeing, but others have merely jumped in right away with insults.

I see no value in continuing the discussion in the thread. if people would like to talk about it further then they can U2U me.
gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 05:23 PM

That might be the intention of the originators (although I'm not convinced on that front either), but it's certainly not how the majority of Postcrossers use the system, which is only underscored by the fact that so many people complain about having to repeatedly send to/receive from the same country/ies.

If it was the case that Postcrossing was purely about user-to-user connections, then everybody would say Yes to direct swaps, and nobody would even think about which countries they were sending cards to, or about what kinds of cards they were getting or from where.

Yes, you did in fact imply that the intention of the group was not as stated - see here - I understand that to "win" it's useful only to quote the parts that suit you, but it's clear you did say this. What other implication is there, other than you think someone is not telling the truth?

Why I'm here? Same as many, many members, who have been here for years...I appreciate the arena, to share my hobby, to interact with others, to go to meetups, birthdays, and sadly, funerals, to laugh with and at the group, to assist others ....what I am NOT here - or anywhere else - for, is to be welcoming to someone I can see is knocking the owners, moderators, members, ideals and goals.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 05:41 PM

when I began Postcrossing I wasn't very impressed by the random cards I was receiving (I probably didn't have a helpful profile back then) and so I dropped out of the Official side and did lots and lots of private swaps. I got all the cards I liked & wanted from the places I desired. Last year I decided to try the Official side again and am now loving it!!

so perhaps the easiest solution for those who don't want to draw certain countries on the Official side is to switch over to just trades. This way you get to pick & chose as you like best. Trades, tags & RR are fun and you still receive postcards. Sounds like this would be a better approach than getting exasperated.

Personally I don't mind drawing a Russian or German address; I have nice cards & stamps that they will enjoy and the recipients always seem appreciative. And my life is in no giant hurry, so I can wait for it to arrive....I have many, many other things in my life to occupy my time until it does. But if others are in a big hurry and need to get their cards immediately the trade option is really a better way to participate...most trades are mailed off in a day or two of completing the transaction. Long travel times disappoint all of us but new people who have so few cards traveling are probably extra sad....it just takes patience; eventually most cards are delivered (but we all have some expired cards which is just how the mail is sometimes).
10yrbr

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 06:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, you did in fact imply that the intention of the group was not as stated - see here - I understand that to "win" it's useful only to quote the parts that suit you, but it's clear you did say this. What other implication is there, other than you think someone is not telling the truth?

That is not what I implied. I wasn't "implying" anything; that might be the way you chose to interpret what I said. Or maybe you jumped in partway through the conversation and weren't following closely enough. That's outside my control.

Whatever you're here for, gran8, it's obvious that there's no point in continuing to talk to you. I won't be posting in this thread again, but I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me how to turn off email notifications for it.

And thanks for your helpful comments, cuzcopete.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 01:01 AM

but I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me how to turn off email notifications for it.

Go to your User control panel and select Subscriptions or Favourites

Tick the Delete box and then select Delete selected subscription/favourite.

Vicki
Forum Administrator
10yrbr

[*] posted on 21-4-2015 at 01:06 AM

but I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me how to turn off email notifications for it.

Go to your User control panel and select Subscriptions or Favourites

Tick the Delete box and then select Delete selected subscription/favourite.

Vicki
Forum Administrator

Got it, thanks.
peedie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: peedie

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 02:36 PM

So back to the topic at hand...:umm:

My pick (and I know we get just one in theory) would be to be able to add description tags to the postcards on our wall. I for example, love recipe cards, but at this point there are so many cards in the system that I find very few searching around. Tags would allow us to favorite more cards (and I notice there was a thread where someone commented that people have stopped favoriting cards, probably because they get so little gallery time these days) Since I like it when someone favorites my cards it would be a nice added bonus of the ability to find more cards you like to up the number of favorites in general.

My second request, call it a sub request ;) would be to split the favorite between received and wishlist. That way I know for sure that someone has/hasn't received the card they like. If you combine that with description tags the walls could get a lot more use.
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 09:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by peedie  
So back to the topic at hand...:umm:

My pick (and I know we get just one in theory) would be to be able to add description tags to the postcards on our wall. I for example, love recipe cards, but at this point there are so many cards in the system that I find very few searching around. Tags would allow us to favorite more cards (and I notice there was a thread where someone commented that people have stopped favoriting cards, probably because they get so little gallery time these days) Since I like it when someone favorites my cards it would be a nice added bonus of the ability to find more cards you like to up the number of favorites in general.

My second request, call it a sub request ;) would be to split the favorite between received and wishlist. That way I know for sure that someone has/hasn't received the card they like. If you combine that with description tags the walls could get a lot more use.

At the moment it is one step worser:( then it was before:
https://www.postcrossing.com/search In the past postcard descriptions and comments on postcards was included in the search. At the moment they are excluded.
Even IF you give your postcard a description at the moment or you write in a comment, no one can trace it back. I tried this with Iittala and Nina Hagen, but no bingo's in the search function....
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 09:58 PM

I have 2 wishes: as above to tag the cards so I can group them into types to see what I have etc.

And the 2nd is to see a picture of the travelling cards so I can see what I've sent recently without having to open the link.

Aeryn

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: KahlanAmnell

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ovidius  
One single wish: to be able to arrange my favorites the way I want (by subject). A manual arrange option (like in flickr) would be awesome.
But I guess it will never happen...

This!
I'd like to arrange my favourites by subject.
Aeryn

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: KahlanAmnell

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ovidius  
One single wish: to be able to arrange my favorites the way I want (by subject). A manual arrange option (like in flickr) would be awesome.
But I guess it will never happen...

This!
I'd like to arrange my favourites by subject.
carin_keyes

Postcrossing Username: carin_keyes

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 08:52 PM

I would like to be able to bookmark certain people that I am communicating with more often on my homepage. It would be easier to find them quickly if I want to message them. I am new to this and maybe this is possible? If so, please tell me how!!!!!
clarajane

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: fionat

Mood: Delighted

[*] posted on 24-11-2015 at 03:57 PM

On the Forum login page, I would like the login button to be colored, perhaps red, and larger. Or just make its font bold so that I can spot it more quickly?

P.S. I do like the bookmarking people idea. Carin, do you use the Address Book in U2U? Might be nice to add a Comment field there to jog the memory. Currently, I manage this by saving messages in a U2U folder.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

Imprint