Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: If you could change one thing about PC ...
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 12:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by davchana  
Quote: Originally posted by RalfH  
Quote: Originally posted by davchana  
I know the following will be an extra work for Admin team; but still wanna put it out:

My Wish:

On start of every month, Admin teams sorts the country lists (names of all countries) by most received cards in decreasing order. Germany & Other countries who receive a lot of cards will be on top. Assume total number of countries are like 220.

Then this list is divided into 4 equal parts. First 55 in 1st Group, next 55 in 2nd & such. 4 groups of 55 countries each. The countries can change & move in/out of each group as per their numbers from last month. 55 is assuming total countries are 220.

We users should get a dropdown option in settings/profile (on same page as "own country send Yes/No") to select the group we prefer out of above 4. Remember, user can just select group 1 OR 2 OR 3 OR 4, not any specific country, or NO PREFERENCE.

When drawing cards for sending, if user has a group preference, draw address from those countries group only. If user selected No PREFERENCE in profile, then the address will be from any country as it is now.

Instead of sorting the countries every Month, it could be sorted every 2 months, 6 months or een yearly, looking back at same amount of time.

What is your point?
Is it about reducing the numer of cards you send to/get from countries with a lot of PC-traffic? Or to avoid/reduce sending to/getting from 'slow' countries? Or to get more cards from/send more cards to rare countries?
Keep in mind, that you can change your own behaviour, but you cannot force others to change their behaviour, e. g. you cannot make Africans send more cards.
So again: What is your point? What is the sense behind your idea?

Hi Ralph, first of all, if I am mistaken I am sorry, but if there is a tone of showing off yourself smart & others stupid in your message, that will be unwanted.

Ok, to the topic now:

> What is your point?

The point is to give user the ability to select the countries as a group based on cards speed/traffic. The purpose for me; many times I wish that I do not get another address from Germany or Russia or Finland (all high traffic assumed), but of some country with low traffic & low users.

> Is it about reducing the numer of cards you send to/get from countries with a lot of PC-traffic?

Yes, correct, you got it. My proposal affects only what I SEND, no changes on what I GET.

> Keep in mind, that you can change your own behaviour, but you cannot force others to change their behaviour, e. g. you cannot make Africans send more cards.

I am not expecting others to change their mind; its just a suggestion & not a forced change. The current situation (any country) option is also there if user selects "NO PREFERENCE". I think high traffic & high number of users are interconnected. The quick the card reaches, the quick the user sends another card, the more they talk about it, the new user gets encouragement. Obviously every country has all types of users, one who want to send a lot of cards, & one who sends occasionally, be it Africa or American or European.

I came across this website when I was in Qatar (a low card traffic & low number of users country, with all postcards postage costing about $3.25 per card), the speed of my cards reaching other places was slow; so I was like sending a card & then waiting for about a month to reach & to send another card. At that time I would have chosen the high traffic countries. Slow country to slow country is always slower than a slow country to fast country.

Slow to Slow > Slow to Fast > Fast to Fast

Then I moved to India, where postage was cheaper (about $0.15 per international card), & mediocre speed. I would have been ok with getting any country.

Now I am in USA, fast speeds, now I would love to send cards to Slow countries.

So, as above, wishes evolve, preferences change, & thus the Wish to select the destinations by speed group.

Obviously, its just a wish.

I simply wanted to read what your point is, because for me that was not clear.
Now it is clear.
I think it would not work, for the number of cards one gets depends on the number of cards one sends. So sending more cards to rare or/and slow countries would require that the postcrossers in that country would be entitled to get more cards. So either you raise the number of postcrossers in those countries (by reducing the postage or improving the availability of postal services - both cannot be done by postcrossing.com) or postcrossing.com enabels that the postcrossers in those countries get more cards than they send. I think the latter one is already done and the more they do it, the more unbalanced the whole system gets.
I also would like to send more cards to Africa and "exotic" countries on other continents, but I think excluding groups of countries is not a solution and not a good way.
I hope, I did not offend you, for that was not my goal.
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 01:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ninja  
If I could, I'd actually change two things.

1. this:

Quote: Originally posted by ladybelle  
Quote: Originally posted by Gruenlilie  
I wish postcards sent to people who have lost interest in PC would automatically be marked as "sent". I have lots of expired cards and where half of them the users just never logged in again.

Yes! That's the only change I'd really and truly love to see in the PC rules.

(it's been suggested here too now: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=121055)

2. the other thing would be giving new members a way to increase the number of cards they can send much faster.

I understand the need to have limited slots at the start and to somehow "prove" that you are a good member and are actually sending and registering your postcards. But the nature of postcrossing and postcards is that many of them will travel for a long time, sometimes just because they go to a "slow country" and sometimes because the recipient has disappeared or only registers cards in long intervals. If you're unlucky and draw a lot of slow countries or inactive users early on, it just blocks the few available slots for a long time and makes it extremely slow to increase the slots. It can take several months to be allowed to send the first 10 or 20 cards.

I think the most frustrating thing for new members not being allowed to be more active and send more postcards, and I also think this may be one main reason that many new members lose interest (and maybe contribute again to the first problem because they disappear and don't register received cards anymore).

So I think the number of outgoing slots should increase much faster, once the first few postcards have been sent and received. Or there should be an additional way to get more slots for new members who are really serious about it, for example through a premium membership.

to 1: I think it is hard to decide, whether somebody is no longer interested in Postcrossing. If you think somebody is nolonger interested in participating, you can ask the support to check it and if the support comes to the same conclusion, they close that account down. That already happens.
to 2: I think postcrossing should provide that under the first 5 addresses you get, there is not more than 1 address to Russia and 1 address to the People's Republic of China and the box at "repeated countries" should be unchecked by default.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell Zac

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 01:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RalfH  

to 2: the box at "repeated countries" should be unchecked by default.

It already is.

The default for that setting is unticked and has been for many years.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

Imprint