Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Abandonned newbe accounts
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 07:25 PM
Abandonned newbe accounts

This topic is to discus about abandonned newbe accounts.

Those account you recognise for:
- signing up at the homepage
- sending out a handful of postcards
- never return
[- with a handful of expired cards to that account....]
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 07:31 PM

I think 2 out of 28 expired at the moment are at abandonned newby accounts.

Until now I love to get an address from a newby. I hope my card is the first one - or one of the first ones, that make that person happy and to encourage them to practise their new hobby.

But people leave ~ I wonder if it is too easy to sign up. If it is free and so very simple people might sign up and leave.

Could there be a time-slot in signing up and requesting addresses? A confirmation email sent to their emailaddress with a link to confirm the sign up, after that the new signed up can request addresses?
Fidi

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Fidi

[*] posted on 15-12-2014 at 12:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtts  

But people leave ~ I wonder if it is too easy to sign up. If it is free and so very simple people might sign up and leave.

Could there be a time-slot in signing up and requesting addresses? A confirmation email sent to their emailaddress with a link to confirm the sign up, after that the new signed up can request addresses?

I think the problem may be that people do not realize how long it takes for some cards to arrive.
I signed up in November and sent out my first 5 cards.
Luckily, I had chosen to also send and receive from my own country, so these cards were the first to arrive on both sides.

The next cards I received a month later from Russia and Australia.
I actually thought that all my cards had gotten lost.

I then proceeded to take part in tags, again sending a couple of cards to China - so they will probably arrive in January at the earliest.
By participating in tags, however, I was allowed to write a couple of cards and send them off.:)
Things is, after joining, I had quite a shopping spree of buying postcards and stamps and was eager to send them off.
At the moment, I have received 4, sent 11 and six traveling, three of which to "slow" countries, two to "medium slow countries" and one "inner country".
On the other hand I still have some Christmas cards (more than I can send to relatives and friends) and hope that some people on the Christmas card tag will like them.

I find the opportunity of sending tag-cards great to get going, actually.

I guess I will reduce that once I have more cards traveling at the same time, with a raised chance of some of them arriving faster.

Best wishes from
Fidi
Taxingwoman
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-12-2014 at 03:04 PM

In Canada I think what happens is people sign up and then realize after sending a few cards, how expensive this hobby is.
$2.50 for an International stamp and the cards are getting expensive too.
Add to that the frustration of lost cards, disappointing cards, rude messages, and demanding profiles.

I'm glad I joined when things were simpler: No walls, no wishlists, no favourites and stamps were $1.00 :P
mtts
Unregistered

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 01:44 PM

http://www.postcrossing.com/user/neussermaedchen

I reported this non-user, but the team would not look at it:( at that moment.
Petre

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Petre

[*] posted on 21-1-2015 at 03:10 PM

It would help if the address of a newbie was only given to others when one of their send cards is registered. Perhaps even let them log-in after receiving a hurray-message and confirm that they do want to receive cards and are able to register any card within a week after receiving.

Then you can be sure that person has really send out some cards and is serious about registering received cards..
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Petre  
It would help if the address of a newbie was only given to others when one of their send cards is registered.

That is exactly when the address is given to another member.

It shows that the new person invested their time and money to actually send a postcard. They are then entitled to a postcard back.
runningjurgen

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: runningjurgen

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 04:38 PM

still... it's quite frustrating to 'meet' members with less enthousiasm and honesty as yourself... but hey, that's life, isn't it?
heidiw

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: heidiw

Mood: Altijd Happy

[*] posted on 14-10-2015 at 09:08 PM

I have 1 postcard i think it will expire for sure, its almost a month ago i sended it and its to a newbe that sended 1 card and received none and was active 1 month ago.
Its frustrating indeed :snob:

Go To Top

Imprint