Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [GERMANY] Deutsche Post - German Post related questions and comments
GipsyQueen

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: GipsyQueen

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 01:07 PM
[GERMANY] Deutsche Post - German Post related questions and comments

Please use this thread to ask questions or make comments regarding Germany's DHL Deutsche Post - their services, postal regulations, addressing method, postage, stamps, postmarks, delivery speed, etc.

Re: Postage in Germany for big cards

Hey,

I ordered postcards online. When I received them today I saw that 2 of them are bigger square cards and one 'panoramic' card.
I did not know that the cards would be in this format.

I checked the site of the Deutsche Post but couldn't find out if the postage for those cards is higher. It only said that cards in 'funny' shapes like hearts must be send in envelopes.

I don't want to send those cards unless I am sure they arrive at their destination.

Can anyone help?

GipsyQueen
Diba2017

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Diba2017

[*] posted on 18-2-2018 at 09:27 AM

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and found this today. I have also already received a postcard from Poland with a German stamp. I wondered because the sender is not living near the german border. I was a little disappointed that there was no Polish stamp on it. I find it not quite original/genuine when there is a stamp from another country on the postcard. Now I do understand why it was like that at least.
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 18-2-2018 at 11:14 AM

Hi,
A month ago, I received a card from a Polish postcrosser send in Germany. The card has travelled 2 months (usually from Germany 2-3 days and Poland 3-4 days). Cheaper or quicker ? Choose !
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 09:50 AM

So the German post does (sometimes) check the maximum size of postcards, up to 23.5 x 12.5 cm.

I recently received a postcards slightly higher (21.0 x 14.8 cm) sent from within Germany with a stamp of 0.45€. The German post did not deliver it to me, instead I got a card that I have to pay a "Nachentgelt" (surcharge/postage due) and pick it up at the post office. It turns out that everything wider than the allowed 12.5cm counts as "Großbrief" (large letter) and costs 1.45€. I not only had to pay 1€ missing postage but also an extra 2€ fee, so 3€.

If there is a sender address, they would send it back instead. But I wonder what would happen in this case with mail sent to another country if there's no sender address and insufficient postage. Would they just deliver it anyway? Or ask the recipient in another country to pay the surcharge? Or not send it?

Any experience with that?
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Speicher3

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 09:15 AM

Hi Ninja.

As far as I know Deutsche Post is legally obligated to forward all mail (even if there's not enough postage on it, or banana stickers or something...). But of course Deutsche Post can either collect the postage from the addressee or send the mail back to sender and ask him to pay the proper postage.
It's the same with international sendings. The local post office (e.g. British Royal Mail) could collect the remaining amount for the sender's post office (e.g. German Deutsche Post) from the addressee. But I never heard they really do. I guess the effort would be much too high for two countries' post offices.
A few years ago I got a postcard from France with no stamps but a banana sticker instead. I didn't have to pay anything in this case.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 06:36 PM

Thanks Speicher3, yeah that makes sense that they are obligated to deliver it. But if I decided not to pick it up in the post office and pay the 3€ Nachentgelt, they would probably throw it away at some point? As they don't know the sender, and I refuse to pay that's probably their only solution?

But yeah I also can't imagine a foreign post office collecting the fee for German post with not enough postage (that's funny with the banana sticker). But that means that a malicious sender could abuse this and send international cards for "free"? Of course I'm not suggesting anyone should do that. I like the post system and that we can so easily send things around the world with it, and of course transporting things costs money.

However I can still imagine there's a higher chance an international postcard gets "lost" if it has no or not enough stamps.
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 08:28 PM

Hi,
In France (sorry French people), I know that a lot of people use banana stickers or write STS (Student to student) or 2FA-BE. Mundoo has posted this : https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=116204
I will always pay stamps : the (Swiss) Post is awesome : 2 days to Germany or Finland. But, the stamps are becoming more and more expensive :(
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 09:05 PM

I fully agree with this, we use the post system so we should pay the correct fees.

Also I like receiving stamps more than banana stickers ;) and I enjoy putting nice stamps on postcards.

I only thought about what would happen if not enough postage is put on international mail, because I received (and had to pay for) that card which was too large to be sent as normal postcard and therefore wasn't sent with enough postage. Which may have been done accidentally by the sender without knowing that larger size postcards cost more, even though I think a postcrossing member with over 1600 sent and received cards, should know about fees and allowed sizes of postcards.... :puzzled:
Elenna
Finnish Community and Fanclub Anime moderator

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Elenna

Mood: New address 5/2018

[*] posted on 24-4-2018 at 03:04 PM

I have received a square shaped card from Germany that was sent with a 90-cent stamp. Instead of the usual 2-4 days the card traveled well over a month (I think it was around 6 weeks) but although there was a T stamp indicating too little postage, the card was delivered to me normally (I didn't need to pay anything).
linos203

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: linos203

Mood: There is no rescue from postcrossing

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Elenna  
I have received a square shaped card from Germany that was sent with a 90-cent stamp. Instead of the usual 2-4 days the card traveled well over a month (I think it was around 6 weeks) but although there was a T stamp indicating too little postage, the card was delivered to me normally (I didn't need to pay anything).

For standard and kompakt international rate (0.90 and 1.50) the length has to be minimum 1.4 times longer than width. Therefore a square shaped card could only be sent as groß (Big) rate, which is 3.70 Euro.
michiel071

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Michiel

[*] posted on 6-5-2019 at 03:43 PM

A tip for those who visit Hamburg: on board the Rickmer Rickmers (a museum ship in the harbour) there is a postbox. If you put your post in that postbox, it will get a special cancellation (of the Rickmer Rickmers).
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 03:51 PM

Moving this here instead of https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=117532

Quote: Originally posted by Sfander  
What I don't understand is, all postal services across the globe complain that letter mail distribution is down, but parcel post is up, so why all the increases. How can this service say they are loosing money when parcel post is up by huge numbers...the Postal services are still making money! Why don't they combine the two services, instead of having two separate divisions? Then we would all save.

Deutsche Post operating profit:
2018: EUR 3.2 billion
2019 expected: EUR 3.9 to 4.3 billion
2020 expected: at least EUR 5.0 billion
(source: https://www.dpdhl.com/en/media-relations/press-releases/2019/annual-... )

You see, it's hard work and you need to squeeze every cent out of the customers to increase your profit by almost a billion EUR every year..... I mean only 3.2 billion operating profit last year, that's almost losing money!
:ninja:
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 07:51 AM

New German Deutsche Post postal rates from July:

Postcard domestic: 0,60 EUR (was 0,45 EUR)
Standard letter domestic: 0,80 EUR (was 0,70 EUR)

Postcard international: 0,95 EUR (was 0,90 EUR)
Standard letter international: 1,10 EUR (was 0,90 EUR)

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/a/aenderungen-2019.html
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 08:36 PM

Is it finally 95 cents or 1,10 € ? ;)
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 03:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thubcabe  
Is it finally 95 cents or 1,10 € ? ;)

The German Federal Network Agency didn't confirm the new postal rates yet. But Deutsche Post requested to raise the price for an international postcard to 0,95€ and 1,10€ for an international letter. At least this is what Deutsche Post says on its website.
tracyhaha3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Zijie

[*] posted on 30-7-2019 at 06:28 AM

95 cts for an international postcard, 110cts for a postcard in an envelope :)

Go To Top

Imprint