Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 10:46 AM
F.A.Q.

1. Who organizes the meetups?

Anyone! Really, YOU can organize one yourself! Do you know other postcrossers in you area who may be interested in a get-together? Great, then read on.

2. How do I start a meetup?

Since all meetups are just informal gatherings, there are no strict rules about how to organize one. Nonetheless, here are some useful tips:

1. Make sure there isn't already a meetup being organized in your region. It's easier to simply join an existing one than to start one from scratch. You can check the list of upcoming meetups here.

2. It's a good idea to first check if there's at least some people who would join. You might already know other local postcrossers, so ask them if they would like to meet over some postcards and coffee! If you don't know anyone yet, then perhaps it's a good idea to try to find some local postcrossers on the forum or, instead, try to join an existing meetup that you can travel to.

3. Have you found that there's enough interest for a meetup in your area? Then go ahead and announce it! The easiest and most common way to do this is to create a forum thread for your meetup so that others know about it. It's helpful if you use the following template for the thread:

Subject: Country, City/Region, Date
    First post of the thread:
    Quote:

CITY/REGION:
    DATE:
    TIME:
    MEETUP PLACE:

It's also common practice to keep a list of the people who will be attending, which you can do on the thread itself.

When you have created the thread for the meetup, don't forget to let us know so that we can add it to the meetups calendar

Still unsure on how to go about it? Then check how other meetups are being organized, for some ideas.

3. What do people do in meetups?

Write and send postcards, of course - no surprise there, is it? :) Postcard writing is probably the most common activity for a meetup, but that's not a rule. Meetups can be as short as a couple of hours in a cafe, or be several days long and include activities like city tours and sightseeing. It really depends on the meetup, the place, the number of people joining, etc.

It's common for meetups to include some postcard shopping stops... after all, postcrossers tend to know all the best places for that!

Another thing that seems to happen a lot at meetups is postcard signing. That's when everyone signs all postcards sent from that meetup. Nobody is quite sure how it started, but it does seem to happen on most meetups... sort of a tradition!

For large meetups, there may be individual badges with the member's name/username - that can be handy to help recognize familiar usernames.

4. What should I bring with me?

If you'd like to write some postcards, bring them with you along with a pen or two, and maybe some stamps if you want to post your cards. Some meetups include stops where you can take care of most of that (postcard shops, post office, etc), so you can plan in advance. Check the meetup thread regularly for more details on the plans. And don't forget your address book if you use one! :)

5. How do I list my meetup?

Once you have created a thread for it with all the details (location, date, etc) then let us know about it and we will include it in the list so that others will know about it too!

6. I'm planning to make some special postcards for this meeting... Can I use the Postcrossing logo on them?

Please check the Logo Usage Guidelines page for all answers about using the logo in your Postcrossing activities.

7. I still have a question about meetups - where do I ask?

Just leave your question below.
Nzqu

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nzqu

Mood: New address 8/2019 ->

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 05:13 AM

I have been to two different kind of meetups: those which are e.g. in a café in a good location, or those which are planned based on the postcard stores. Sometimes there have been walking tours in the city, when the local Postcrossers have taken us 'strangers' to see the local postcard shops and other interesting places. When I arrange meetups in my hometown, I usually ask the other participants where they would like to meet. The meeting place is normally a café, and the location depends on the opening hours and the amount of participants (a bigger meetup in a small café isn't the best choice, I think. :) ) If the most of the people are coming to the meetup by train, then I think it would be best to choose the place somewhere near the railway station.

I have started a thread in my country's sub-forum, and invite people to come that way. We also have a Postcrossing Finland Facebook group, where to advertise our meetups.

Good luck for organizing a meetup, it's a lot of fun! :)
flowerinapot

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: flowerinapot

[*] posted on 22-3-2017 at 09:35 PM

Maybe a silly question but where can meet up cards be made once you get permissions from postcrossing?
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 03:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by flowerinapot  
Maybe a silly question but where can meet up cards be made once you get permissions from postcrossing?

Members design the postcard and either get them printed from their local print shop or use an online postcard printing store. The choice is yours.

Please read and adhere to Postcrossing Logo Usage Guidelines before using our logo
https://www.postcrossing.com/logo-guidelines

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
Herkenbe2

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Herkenbe

Mood: Carpe Diem

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 05:48 PM

Why postcards are written at the meetup itself and to whom? The send-to function is limited. So whomelse should I write the special meeting card or any other card?
Thank you for any explanation.

ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Herkenbe2  
Why postcards are written at the meetup itself and to whom? The send-to function is limited. So whomelse should I write the special meeting card or any other card?
Thank you for any explanation.

Hi Herkenbe2! On meetups, attendants usually send postcards to other people they've met through Postcrossing and became friends with, or sometimes to people with whom they're doing swaps. :)

Don't feel like you must write postcards though! The important thing is to get together and make some new friends :)
ezredax

Postcrossing Username: ezredax

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 12:57 PM

HI,

I have been to several meetups and would like to post some photos of our latest one. How do I do that?

Thanks for any help,
Demaris
Kristina333

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: KristinaGisela

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 02:32 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of organizing a meetup in my area and I see how to list a meetup on the forum, but I'm wondering how to reach people in my area who might not check the forum.

Is there a way to send messages to people based on the location in their profile?

Thanks!
-Kristina333
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ezredax  
I have been to several meetups and would like to post some photos of our latest one. How do I do that?

There's no dedicated place in Postcrossing to publish meetup photos. The most common way that that is done is to publish the photos on the usual suspects (eg: Facebook, Google Photos, Flickr, etc) and then share the link to the gallery on the meetup thread so that others can check it out.

Quote: Originally posted by Kristina333  
I'm thinking of organizing a meetup in my area and I see how to list a meetup on the forum, but I'm wondering how to reach people in my area who might not check the forum.

Is there a way to send messages to people based on the location in their profile?

If there's a thread for a meetup, it gets published on the meetups calendar on the main website where everyone can find them.

Before setting up meeting thread/date/details it is good to find at least a few who are interested. Currently there's no way to message everyone in a certain area for this purpose but you can ask on the communities forum section. Also, you can use the search users section to find everyone in a certain area and message individually about it. Once you have a few interested, setup a place&date and open the thread so more people can know about it.
Kewl

Country Flag:
Philippines

Philippines
Postcrossing Username: Kewl

[*] posted on 23-3-2019 at 10:14 PM

I have received a postcrossing meet up card with more than one date on it (example: March 22-23, 2019). And then I read above that indeed it can be more than one date.
My question is - should one attendee be present in both dates? And what is the usual reason for having more than one day of meet-up?

I have these questions because I would like to organize a Philippine meet-up later this year. However, the people I have asked are either available on a Sunday or a Saturday (one day only of the weekend I am looking at). And so another question - could I hold the meet up on those two days but have different people in each one (I will be present in both days, though).

Thank you for your reply.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Kewl  
I have received a postcrossing meet up card with more than one date on it (example: March 22-23, 2019). And then I read above that indeed it can be more than one date.
My question is - should one attendee be present in both dates? And what is the usual reason for having more than one day of meet-up?

Some meetups can be more elaborate and take more than one day as they can include several activities. Often, these are meetups where people can come from far away (or from abroad) so it can make sense to have several different activities to justify the long trip. Whether one can attend only one of the days depends on the meetup itself and the organization.

Quote: Originally posted by Kewl  
I have these questions because I would like to organize a Philippine meet-up later this year. However, the people I have asked are either available on a Sunday or a Saturday (one day only of the weekend I am looking at). And so another question - could I hold the meet up on those two days but have different people in each one (I will be present in both days, though).

With a large group, it will be always be difficult to find a perfect date. Even if you do a meetup that covers two days to try to help on that, probably there will still be some who won't be able to come on any of the possible days. By having two days to try to fit everyone, you may end up with two smaller groups in each of the days which may not be ideal if the goal is for everyone to meet.

If the activities on those two days aren't necessarily different, then I would try to pick a single day — the one that the majority is able to go — which should have a larger participation since that would be the only option. The ones that can't attend that specific date can still take part on future ones.

With all this said, these aren't rules — in the end it is up to the organizer to decide it. Hope this helps!
Kewl

Country Flag:
Philippines

Philippines
Postcrossing Username: Kewl

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 06:56 AM

Thank you very much for the reply, Paulo!
sonataca

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sonataca

[*] posted on 17-8-2019 at 12:37 PM

I had a question...not sure if this is the appropriate place...I see people use tiny stickers with their usernames on meetup cards. Where can I get that? And what is the specific size?

Go To Top

Imprint